My Hummingbird Mob at Work

Old August 9th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default My Hummingbird Mob at Work

On 2016-08-08 17:58:05 +0000, PAS said:

On 8/5/2016 6:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
This can give you a idea of the air traffic control roblem at my
hummingbird feeders.
When this opens, go to full screen.
http://adobe.ly/2aAZPdN

We're fortunate enough to see an occasional humming bird around our
property. I don't think I've seen more than five in my entire life.

Where you are on the East Coast you should see quite a few in the
Summer. You should see the Ruby-throated Hummingbird which we don't get
out West. You just need the garden or feeders to lure them in.
https://db.tt/nvtSxCQ2

If you care to try tempting some local visitors get a hummingbird feeder
and mix up a simple syrup, one cup sugar to 3 cups water. If you get the
numbers I see out here, buying the commercial hummingbird nectar is a
ripoff.

We are using a ratio of 4:1, and if you want to save $10-20 bucks a
week, you might try that.

At the rate they go through it the saving would be hardly noticible.
What I have researched is local sugar prices. So far my best prices are
at Walmart and Cost Plus where I can get a 15 Lb bag for just over $5.
Larger bags at Cost Plus and FoodForLess are just too unwieldly. At
this stage I don't begrudge them $10 per week, afterall I don't spend
too much time hanging about bars. I need to find the time to spend more
on women eight years of the widower thing is getting stale. I find
cameras are more reliable and safer.

Oops! I didn't mean "Cost Plus" for sugar, I get other exotic stuff
there. The other store I meant to cite is "Smart & Final" which has
some pretty good deals.

In fact, you are perfectly situated to try half of your set up on one
ratio, the other on the other. (We have only three feeders, for about a
dozen regulars. In Yolo County are we.)

I am in San Luis Obispo County, about 13 miles West of Paso Robles out
at Lake Nacimiento.

Up there in Yolo Co. and in the Sac Valley you should see Anna's
Hummingbirds year round as I do, along with migratory Rufus. We also
get the Costa's and Allen's Hummingbirds in Summer, but for you that
is less likely, more migratory there. Spring migratory for both of us
is the Calliope Hummingbird. Rare in Summer for both of us is the
Black-chinned Hummingbird

Savageduck

Old August 9th 16, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per PAS:
Some of the neighbors have been trying to shut Paul down

What is their rationale?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old August 10th 16, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/9/2016 4:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per PAS:
Some of the neighbors have been trying to shut Paul down

What is their rationale?

See my answer to PAS. They were not wrong. It was a bunch of
inconsiderate visitors who caused the problem.

--
PeterN