Computer

Old March 8th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Irby

Default Computer

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

Old March 8th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
cyrusthevirus

Il 08/03/2007 15:43, Irby dixit:
It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

Mac was released in 1984, Windows 1.0 was released in 1985, but until
the 3.0 version, in 1990, it was a "poor GUI" compared to Mac.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...user_interface

Publishers who placed a lot of money on Macs don't want to jettison all
their hardware (and knowledge) to change their systems just because the
new ones are "fancier", and obsolescence, in the typographic world, was
once measured in decades (in 1980, during my duty, to make offset
clichés I used a Xerox reproduction machine leaved in Italy by Allies in
1945 - and it works perfectly).

Presently, between Mac and PCs there isn't a great difference: just like
between Sunni and Shia in Baghdad...

Cyrus

--
[a directive occurred while processing this error]
Old March 8th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Irby wrote:
It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

Because they like to spend more to be locked into a single hardware
maker's platform?
Old March 8th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article .net,
"Irby" wrote:

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

For me it is preferring a computer that will not suddenly crash while I
am in the middle of editing a complex graphic.

The Mac has been a more stable platform for years. And, sure, I know
about frequent saves etc.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis
Old March 8th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian Lund

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of

why
this is? Thanks

For me it is preferring a computer that will not suddenly crash while I
am in the middle of editing a complex graphic.

The Mac has been a more stable platform for years. And, sure, I know
about frequent saves etc.

Yes, but today there is no difference in stability...
Today it is a question about what you prefer!
(And the new macs can run Windows too)

Both are good.

Brian

Old March 8th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article .net,
Irby wrote:

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

I work supporting Macs in the education, graphics, and publishing
arenas. At one time, Apple was almost literally the only way to get
things done in these markets. This has diminished; Windows has gotten
much better. To the extent that if someone is a Windows expert user I
wouldn't necessarily recommend a change.

That said, there are still advantages in color management, file
handling, user interface, and stability. Some excellent graphics
software is exclusively for, or better on, the Mac.

Finally, the nearly complete freedom from malware is a big plus as
well. I recently converted a college newspaper to Mac because they were
literally drowning in viruses; they had IT there every single week to
disinfect their PC's. Since they got Macs, not a single infection. And
that's without any antivirus software at all.
Old March 8th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:43:00 +0000, Irby wrote:

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

Probably because MACs 'just work'. Most of them are not technically
proficient and don't have the time to deal with MS malware, BSODs,
defragging, . . . Basically some of the same reasons I use Linux as
opposed to MS.

Old March 8th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
In article .net,
Irby wrote:

[...]

This just demonstrates the percentage of Mac users to PC users. There are
so few Macs that the Virus / Malware writers don't bother producing a Mac
version.

Mac users always remind me of a certain kind of VW driver. "VWs never
break down", the "Beatle" was more reliable than most in it's day, but that
was a very long time ago.

Roy G

Old March 8th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
"Brian Lund" wrote:

It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer

Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of

why
this is? Thanks

For me it is preferring a computer that will not suddenly crash while I
am in the middle of editing a complex graphic.

The Mac has been a more stable platform for years. And, sure, I know
about frequent saves etc.

Yes, but today there is no difference in stability...
Today it is a question about what you prefer!
(And the new macs can run Windows too)

Both are good.

Perhaps, but with my investment in Mac and Mac compliant SW I cannot
afford experimenting with Windows.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis
Old March 8th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Irby wrote:
It seems most people who work with graphics (including pictures) prefer a
Mac over a PC. Can anyone give me an explanation in layman's terms of why
this is? Thanks

I don't actually think it's true. It's *more* true to say that most MAC
users work in graphics.

As to why -- I suspect that designers are strongly influenced by Apple's
excellent industrial design.

Computer?? jd Digital Photography 46 October 23rd 06 10:58 AM
OT- Buying new computer, which way to go? Steve Digital SLR Cameras 105 June 20th 06 02:46 AM
2 Scanners To One Computer Tim Forehand Digital Photography 16 January 10th 05 02:23 PM
Computer maintenance Aerticeus Digital Photography 32 December 8th 04 04:56 PM
Computer maintenance Pattern-chaser Digital Photography 34 December 4th 04 03:37 PM