iPad Problems 2

Old April 19th 16, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default iPad Problems 2

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:58:25 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

On 4/18/16 PDT 2:23 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

From where in the world did you pull this supposition?

For the PC - a combination of my own experience and the contribution
of others in this news group.

For the Mac - the contribution of others in this news group plus the
statement of Apple which I have cited in another post.

Working life = the length of time for which it remains in service in
the hands of it's primary owner doing the tasks for which it was
originally purchased.

Eric Stevens
Old April 19th 16, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

From where in the world did you pull this supposition?

For the PC - a combination of my own experience and the contribution
of others in this news group.

For the Mac - the contribution of others in this news group plus the
statement of Apple which I have cited in another post.

Facts can not be reliably deduced from those anecdotal sources.

Working life = the length of time for which it remains in service in
the hands of it's primary owner doing the tasks for which it was
originally purchased.

I understand what working life is. ("Its" does not take an apostrophe
when it's used as a possessive.)

Old April 19th 16, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

From where in the world did you pull this supposition?

For the PC - a combination of my own experience and the contribution
of others in this news group.

When did you decide your graphics card needed more memory ?

About a year ago. I reached that conclusion as a result of an update
in LR CC causing LR to reject my GPU for some processes. The reduction
in speed was not great but both noticable and annoying.

For the Mac - the contribution of others in this news group plus the
statement of Apple which I have cited in another post.

But have you understood either it.
My first computer a BBC which I have a similar one in my lab from 1982
can still do everything I did at the time, but it couldn't do colour prints,
but it could play elite a game that only came out on the PC two years ago.

The BBC has never been in the same class as a Mac. It is a mistake to
draw conclusions about Macs from your experience with a BBC.

Working life = the length of time for which it remains in service in
the hands of it's primary owner doing the tasks for which it was
originally purchased.

well we have old steam trains such as the flying scotsman, and old cars still working, some use old wind-up watches.
The information your trying to get from this sort of data doesn;t realy work the way you are doing it, because differnt peole have differnt ideas on when to upgrade and when the computer no longer does what you want.

I'm going by what the Mac owners say they do.

I can still use a BBC computer 30+ years on for exactly the same things I did 30 years ago.

Eric Stevens
Old April 19th 16, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

From where in the world did you pull this supposition?

For the PC - a combination of my own experience and the contribution
of others in this news group.

For the Mac - the contribution of others in this news group plus the
statement of Apple which I have cited in another post.

Facts can not be reliably deduced from those anecdotal sources.

Of course they can: but what the measure of that reliability may be is
another matter.

Working life = the length of time for which it remains in service in
the hands of it's primary owner doing the tasks for which it was
originally purchased.

I understand what working life is. ("Its" does not take an apostrophe
when it's used as a possessive.)

You are right on both counts.

Eric Stevens
Old April 19th 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life?

Longer useful working life the useful part is the key here.

It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

Not sure where you get those figures from.

I have naswered that in another post.

If the respective computers are passed on
according to that life cycle I would expect Macs to get more than a PC
if only for the reason that they are newer.

How can a Mac be newer than a PC ?

Newer when they are sold on. 3~4 year old computers are newer that 5~6
year old computers.

Are Nikons newer than Canons or vica versa I'm not sure how this 'newer' thing works.

[For Apple see http://www.apple.com/environment/answers/
"Years of use, which are based on first owners, are assumed to be four
years for OS X and tvOS devices and three years for iOS and watchOS
devices."]

Seems about right to me although why ask only first owners whatever that means.

Eric Stevens
Old April 20th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

other way around. macs remain useful for *far* longer than a pc does,
which is why their resale value is *much* better than a pc.

If the respective computers are passed on
according to that life cycle I would expect Macs to get more than a PC
if only for the reason that they are newer.

i'm talking same age.

[For Apple see http://www.apple.com/environment/answers/
"Years of use, which are based on first owners, are assumed to be four
years for OS X and tvOS devices and three years for iOS and watchOS
devices."]

that's for environmental concerns, not technology, and is mostly
speculation. the apple watch and apple tv (w/tvos) are way too new to
know what the upgrade cycle for them will be.

most people upgrade their computers every 3-4 years on average. some
people keep them longer (and don't mind the limitations) while others
upgrade sooner because they need to have state of the art.

iphones are usually two years (due to contracts), with ipads being
longer.
Old April 20th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't get this. I started playing with this stuff in the early 90's,
and since then the only thing that has failed me is one cheap power
supply, which took almost everything with it. I have never had
anything else fail. I have had no trouble with PC's lasting many years
- 6 years is nothing. Why would Macs last any longer?

6 years is a lifetime for a computer.

but it's not about the hardware failing, it's about whether the
computer remains useful.

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

What do you think it is that I can't do with my 6+ year old PC?

ask yourself that. you've been saying you want to buy a new computer
for a while.

I can't properly use the graphic's processor with LR (and PS?).

that's the point.

That's
primarily because I bought Dell's GPU offering without knowing enough
to realise it was short on memory. If I had bought the same GPU with
more memory I wouldn't be thinking about replacing it now.

you might still want to, but for other reasons.

a lot has changed in the past 6 years. a lot has changed in the past 3
years.
Old April 20th 16, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 19:14:41 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

The GPU is the major reason for wanting to upgrade, that and the
thought of the requirements for Windows 10+.

Eric Stevens
Old April 20th 16, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Savageduck wrote:

what can you do with a 6 year old pc? not much. in fact, very little.

I wouldn't know about a 6 year old PC, but with my mid-2010 iMac 3.6
GHz i5 + 16 GB DDR3 I run Adobe CC and several other pieces of editing
software along with email, web browsing, streaming, Facetime, Messages,
and Skype. What I don't use it for is playing games.

macs have a longer useful working life than pcs do, which is one reason
why they hold their value on the used market.

Longer working life? It seems to be an average of 5~6 years for a PC
and 3~4 years for a Mac.

From where in the world did you pull this supposition?

For the PC - a combination of my own experience and the contribution
of others in this news group.

When did you decide your graphics card needed more memory ?

About a year ago. I reached that conclusion as a result of an update
in LR CC causing LR to reject my GPU for some processes. The reduction
in speed was not great but both noticable and annoying.

So that makes your 5-6 year PC 4-5 years.
So pretty much the same as my iMac which I wanted to replace after 5 years,
because exporting movie files was taking too long for me.

Irrespective of whether you are talking about a Mac or a PC, you can't
base your life assessments on when the owner thought of replacing the
machine. It could be that they thought of the eventual need to replace
it on the day they bought it. You can only go by the definitive action
of the owner replacing the machine.

But have you understood either it.
My first computer a BBC which I have a similar one in my lab from 1982
can still do everything I did at the time, but it couldn't do colour prints,
but it could play elite a game that only came out on the PC two years ago.

The BBC has never been in the same class as a Mac. It is a mistake to
draw conclusions about Macs from your experience with a BBC.

it's not about computer class its about when a computer gets replaced.
i.e yuo'r working life idea below.
if all you're saying is that if a computer will still do what you brought it for it doesn't need replacing especailly if it's a PC for some reason.

Working life = the length of time for which it remains in service in
the hands of it's primary owner doing the tasks for which it was
originally purchased.

well we have old steam trains such as the flying scotsman, and old cars still working, some use old wind-up watches.
The information your trying to get from this sort of data doesn't realy work the way you are doing it, because differnt peole have differnt ideas on when to upgrade and when the computer no longer does what you want.

I'm going by what the Mac owners say they do.

you're not understanding what they say that's the problem.
Then you get confused with your own terms such as working life.

If you still don't understand ask your son about teh working life of computer cases.
Surely the case from yuor 6 year old or so PC still does what it did when you first brought it doesn;t it ? ;-P

What is the working life of a PC case and a Mac case.

Eric Stevens
Old April 22nd 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/13/2016 7:44 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

go to an apple store and have them figure it out. bring your laptop.

What laptop?

your laptop.

What makes you think I've got a lap top?

because just about everyone has a laptop. some have more than one.

why wouldn't you have a laptop??

Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't want one.

--
PeterN