iPad Problems 2

Old April 13th 16, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default iPad Problems 2

On 2016-04-13 03:39:25 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:11:00 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-04-13 01:36:06 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 17:21:11 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-04-12 23:54:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I am trying to end up with one User Guide and four PDFs on the iPad.
Right now I have four User Guides (all different) and six books. No
PDFs. Not long ago I had just the one User Guide and nothing else.

To make matters more complicated iTunes shows that the Books on my
device are the 9.3 User Guide and four PDFs, all of which I want on
the iPad. The tick boxes along side these items are all grayed out
which, if I have understood nospam correctly, means that they are
already on the iPad.

The same User Guide and PDFs are shown in Books under Summary.

How do I get rid of the stuff in the iPad that I don't want and how do
I end up with visible PDFs in the iPad?

Once again. DON"T BOTHER WITH iTUNES!

On the iPad open the iBooks App.
https://db.tt/AMYcmoYL

In the iPad iBooks Library in top center you will see a category, 'All
Books', 'Books', 'PDFs'. I have tapped on 'PDFs' and show them below;
https://db.tt/x97q0y5g

I only have 'Books' unless I tap the menu bars in which case I get a
box divided into four parts 'Bookshelf', 'Titles', 'Authors' and
'Categories'.

The only part of the Menu Bar you should tap is the upper center.

At the moment, the only book it thinks I have is User
Guide 9.3.

Then you don't have any PDFs loaded/saved to iBooks.
Refer back to my Dropbox method for adding those PDFs, I am not going
to rehash that now.

In the upper right you should see 'Select'. Tap on that. Now you can
select however many items you choose by tapping on the icon. Then in
the upper left tap on 'Delete' or 'Move'. tap on 'Done'.
https://db.tt/kLeOoT5j

I've had that previously but not recently. What actually happens to
the books if I tap Delete or Move?

Nothing if you haven't made a selection.
If you made a selection the book or PDF will be deleted from the
library, or you will be able to move its position on the shelf.

Just correct myself you cannot move to different positions on the shelf.

If it is a book you have obtained via the Apple store it will still be
available to you after being deleted from iBooks in the iPad and you
can always reload it whenever you choose.

BTW: With 'Move' you can place books and/or PDFs into custom
Collections. Here for example I have a category, *Photo Stuff*.
https://db.tt/MpFpLoGF
https://db.tt/EOpp6TN0

That's probably not a physical move. A collection is probably only a
collection of pointers to the files concerned.

Exactly. As with Photos and the Camera Roll storing all image files
with sorting to Albums. 'All Books' equates to the Camera Roll, and
'Collections' to Albums.

Savageduck

Old April 13th 16, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

BTW: With 'Move' you can place books and/or PDFs into custom
Collections. Here for example I have a category, *Photo Stuff*.
https://db.tt/MpFpLoGF
https://db.tt/EOpp6TN0

That's probably not a physical move. A collection is probably only a
collection of pointers to the files concerned.

one of the many benefits of moving beyond the file system.
Old April 13th 16, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:52:14 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Refer back to my Dropbox method for adding those PDFs, I am not going
to rehash that now.

I would if I could. I haven't yet heard back from Dropbox about my
conflicting email addresses.

Yet you are still apparently using Dropbox, for example to show
screenshots earlier today?

Old April 13th 16, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Eric Stevens wrote:

The tick boxes along side these items are all grayed out
which, if I have understood nospam correctly, means that they are
already on the iPad.

I don't think he is correct.

Did you research that 'greyed out' issue? Out of curiosity (and
bemused by the heavy weather you're making) I did. Took a couple of
minutes.

With 'itunes checkmarks greyed' as a Google search target, amongst the
149,000 hits the most prevalent suggestion was that they are either
NOT MATCHED (most likely because they are not present) or are DRM
protected.

Now that I know you already have a (working) Dropbox account, I'd
repeat my earlier recommendation to use it to copy across the PDFs.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 13th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens:
Then why did you introduce the subject?

I am trying to end up with one User Guide and four PDFs on the iPad.
Right now I have four User Guides (all different) and six books. No
PDFs. Not long ago I had just the one User Guide and nothing else.

To make matters more complicated iTunes shows that the Books on my
device are the 9.3 User Guide and four PDFs, all of which I want on
the iPad. The tick boxes along side these items are all grayed out
which, if I have understood nospam correctly, means that they are
already on the iPad.

The same User Guide and PDFs are shown in Books under Summary.

Then you're good to go, congratulations.

Sandman:
To show exactly that. Your "argument" seems to be that it is hard
for you to move a file from your Windows computer to your iPad and
thus you have concluded that the iPad lacks a "decent operating
system", my point is that moving a file from an OSX computer to an
iPad is easy, and by your logic that means the iPad has a "decent
operating system".

Not at all. I reached that conclusion about the iPad's lack of a
decent operating system a long time ago.

Ok, you've just failed to show why, then. Fair enough.

Sandman:
But then you base your "decent operating system" claim upon your
ability to manipulate files *on the device*, which has nothing to
do with your problem of getting files *to your device*.

I don't see how you can reach that conclusion.

By what you've written, and I have responded to.

Sandman:
That's because your "point" is silly, and my explanation helped
show that.

All it did was show that you didn't understand my underlying
argument.

That's because you have none.

--
Sandman
Old April 13th 16, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Terry Pinnell
wrote:

With 'itunes checkmarks greyed' as a Google search target, amongst the
149,000 hits the most prevalent suggestion was that they are either
NOT MATCHED (most likely because they are not present) or are DRM
protected.

that's for itunes match, which matches songs so that they can be stored
in the cloud. it has nothing to do with books.

he wants to sync pdfs. they aren't even drm'ed ebooks.
Old April 13th 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:38:47 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the checkboxes are dimmed because they are not applicable in the panel
you are looking at.

Then what is that page showing me? Where are the check boxes
applicable?

it's showing you what's on the device.

Except I can't see them on the device. :-(

go to an apple store and have them figure it out. bring your laptop.

What laptop?

Anyway, I've now solved the PDF problem with Goodreader.

Eric Stevens
Old April 13th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:52:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

BTW: With 'Move' you can place books and/or PDFs into custom
Collections. Here for example I have a category, *Photo Stuff*.
https://db.tt/MpFpLoGF
https://db.tt/EOpp6TN0

That's probably not a physical move. A collection is probably only a
collection of pointers to the files concerned.

one of the many benefits of moving beyond the file system.

It's on top of the file system.

Let's not start this again.

Eric Stevens
Old April 13th 16, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Refer back to my Dropbox method for adding those PDFs, I am not going
to rehash that now.

I would if I could. I haven't yet heard back from Dropbox about my
conflicting email addresses.

Yet you are still apparently using Dropbox, for example to show
screenshots earlier today?

That side of it continues to work OK. It's sharing with the iPad
that's the problem.

Eric Stevens
Old April 13th 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:00:26 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

The tick boxes along side these items are all grayed out
which, if I have understood nospam correctly, means that they are
already on the iPad.

I don't think he is correct.

Did you research that 'greyed out' issue? Out of curiosity (and
bemused by the heavy weather you're making) I did. Took a couple of
minutes.

With 'itunes checkmarks greyed' as a Google search target, amongst the
149,000 hits the most prevalent suggestion was that they are either
NOT MATCHED (most likely because they are not present) or are DRM
protected.

Now that I know you already have a (working) Dropbox account, I'd
repeat my earlier recommendation to use it to copy across the PDFs.

I still have an address conflict problem with Dropbox. In any case, I
have now solved my PDF problem with Goodreader.

Eric Stevens