I keep coming up with repair projects

Old November 18th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default I keep coming up with repair projects

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
On Nov 12, 1:38 pm, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:
"Cheesehead" wrote in message

Some I give up on. But while the speed graphic
investigation is on
hold,
I came up with another matter. Picked up a nice old
Gundlach 4x5.
Folds up like the Kodak 2-D. Nice wood field camera.
Makes me want
to part with the Speed. Strongly.

But the front rail section has a problem. It seems
someone folded it
up too tightly.
That put some stress on the two rear joints and the glue
has given way
so that they are loose.
Not good.
I'm going by Home Depot on the way home to pick up some
good
resin (not just carpenter's glue/wood glue) to try and
secure it nice
and tight.
Will also clamp it down for the night.
But will that be enough?
I've considered putting a couple of screws through it,
from the bottom
side up. But I don't know that type
of wood. Is that an appropriate strengthening?
I also considered coming in from the side with a couple
of
small oak
dowels, and resin them in place.
That would relieve lateral stress.
Your thoughts?

FWIW, I've had to rebuild a WW-2 vintage AGFA/Ansco
view camera because all the glue joints came apart.
Evidently the glue used was not very good. The camera came
out fine although it also needed new bellows. I still use
it.
If the holes for wood screws has been chewed up you can
fix them by drilling out the damaged wood and replacing it
with hardwood dowel stock. Glue the dowel material in and
smooth off the top so its flush with the original surface.
Drill a pilot hole for the new screw to prevent splitting.
repair like this will last forever and will often
considerably tighten up the camera.
There is a Gundlach catalogue
athttp://www.cameraeccentric.comwhich probably shows your
camera.
Gundlach made lower priced cameras, perhaps not the
most stable. Gundlach was also the maker of the famous (or
notorious) Turner-Reich lens. This lens was designed by
Ernst Gundlach probably to get around the Zeiss patents
for
the Convertible Protar. Gundlach and its successors made
hundreds of them for the military during WW-2 to meet a
spec
written for the Goerz Dagor and Zeiss Convertible Protar,
its no match for either.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Thanks. I went to the site but saw nothing like mine.
It is, though, a later camera than the old Gundlach Korona
folder
units.
The lens board is 4 inches, like an old Speed Graphic, but
thicker.
Much thicker.
Interesting. The Deardorf Triamapro used lensboards
something like that, 4" square but with rounded corners and
substantially thicker than the old Speed Graphic board. It
seems to me that I have seen a Korona combination press and
view camera but have no details about it. You may find
something in _McKeown's Guide_, the information in it seems
to be pretty accurate.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA