Olympus SP550 and Fuji S6500fd samples from ISO 50-5000

Old March 7th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andi Buchner

Default Olympus SP550 and Fuji S6500fd samples from ISO 50-5000

I posted numerous samples I took yesterday in Passau to my pBase:

http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/s6500sp550

All images are in full resolution and were taken at speed settings from
ISO 50-5000 (Oly) and ISO 100-3200 (Fuji). Stabilizer was active (Oly).
Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.

Have fun!
Andi

Old March 7th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 7, 5:27 am, Andi Buchner wrote:
I posted numerous samples I took yesterday in Passau to my pBase:

http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/s6500sp550

All images are in full resolution and were taken at speed settings from
ISO 50-5000 (Oly) and ISO 100-3200 (Fuji). Stabilizer was active (Oly).
Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.

Have fun!
Andi

That's a lot of work Andi. I'm trying to choose an ultrazoom carmera
at this time and this has been helpful. Thank you for the effort.
I am curious however on why you chose the s6500 rather than the
s9100 ?

Some comments:
1. The Olympus images seem much warmer in colour temperature; did you
have it set to cloudy WB with the Fuji set to sunlight WB?

2. In the church interior, the Olympus has quite an advantage in low
light up to ISO 200, due to its IS. There is noticeable camera shake
in the Fuji images. At ISO 400 and above, the lower noise level with
the Fuji is truly amazing. There is much more detail in the Fuji
images. I'm assuming you hand held both cameras for this test?
Perhaps using a tripod, with IS off for the Olympus, would provide a
better indication of the relative image quality.

3. In the wideangle shots along the river, the Olympus seems to have
slightly more detail with less highlight clipping.

What did you think of the overall handling and ergonomics of the two
cameras? If you still have both cameras, a comparison of images
produced with RAW would be very interesting.

regards
Sangio

Old March 8th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:27:33 +0100, Andi Buchner wrote:

All images are in full resolution and were taken at speed settings from
ISO 50-5000 (Oly) and ISO 100-3200 (Fuji). Stabilizer was active (Oly).
Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.

I downloaded two images, the first two from the last page (page 5,
I believe). It was, unfortunately, a complete waste of time. The
S6500fd ISO 1600 shot wasn't bad, but there was no way I could
compare it with the ISO 100 version, which had such incredibly bad
motion blur that it never should have been posted. Your many other
shots may not have had this problem, but at dialup downloading
speeds I'm not about to risk wasting any more time.

Old March 8th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , ASAAR says...
but at dialup downloading
speeds I'm not about to risk wasting any more time.

Ughhh... you are still using a modem?? Get a cable or DSL connection.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 8th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:08:05 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

Ughhh... you are still using a modem?? Get a cable or DSL connection.

Why? It's perfectly adequate for text based newsgroups and email
and much less expensive. The yearly savings could easily pay for a
couple of nice P&Ses per year or a budget DSLR body. It also has a
good side, in that I'm less likely to download and install every
patch and update that Microsoft puts in front of me.