B&H, Why All The SPAM???

Old December 8th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Default B&H, Why All The SPAM???

Per Rita ? Berkowitz:
Henry,

Come on guys, what's the deal here? I love ya and I'm a regular *LOYAL*
customer, have been for many years. Why do you feel the need to SPAM me? I
know what I want and I'll call you when it's time for me to place an order.
Please cease the SPAM immediately!! And, yes, I know about the "opt-out"
option. I never "opt-in" so please be considerate to your customers and not
send SPAM. Think about it, you really don't need to do this. Thank you.

You need to obtain some throw-away email addresses.

Personally, I would never, ever, under any circumstances divulge one of my
"real" email addresses to an online merchant.

Even if the merchant claims a responsible policy - your address is still out
there in the merchant's databases ready to be harvested by anyone with the
inclination... or whoever buys the merchant out at some later date.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 8th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
news
[...]

Fact is, we opt in whenever we open a relationship with an online entity. By
default. The rule is that you passively opt in, but have to actively opt
out. By doing business with B&H (or anyone), you begin a relationship.

That being said, I really must re-up, since I haven't heard from them in a
while.

But let's not act as if spam is some sort of personal affront. It is what it
is. If we don't want to take the few seconds it takes to unsubscribe, a
simple exercise of a spam filter makes them disappear forever. Amongst the
hundreds I see every day, I look forward to seeing spams from businesses I
use.

dwight

Old December 8th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per dwight:
But let's not act as if spam is some sort of personal affront. It is what it
is. If we don't want to take the few seconds it takes to unsubscribe, a
simple exercise of a spam filter makes them disappear forever. Amongst the
hundreds I see every day, I look forward to seeing spams from businesses I
use.

Wait until you have a vanity domain name that's getting 7,000-8,000 spams per
day. Been there. Yes, there are various filtering strategies... but still...

*Nobody* gets my real email address except personal friends.

And, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, I wouldn't consider email from a business
that I know - and can opt out of - and look forward to - to be spam. To me,
spam is unsolicited email from false addresses.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 8th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rick Sciacca

On 12/7/06 8:15 PM, "dwight" wrote:

[...]

I give up! Who is B&H?

Old December 8th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:02:29 GMT, Rick Sciacca wrote:

I give up! Who is B&H?

http://bhphotovideo.com/

Old December 8th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per dwight:
But let's not act as if spam is some sort of personal affront. It is what
it
is. If we don't want to take the few seconds it takes to unsubscribe, a
simple exercise of a spam filter makes them disappear forever. Amongst the
hundreds I see every day, I look forward to seeing spams from businesses I
use.

Wait until you have a vanity domain name that's getting 7,000-8,000 spams
per
day. Been there. Yes, there are various filtering strategies... but
still...

I have one, and, yes, it certainly generates a fair share of the spam I
receive. That's why I had to invoke privacy in the WHOIS data and my email
address appears only as a graphic on the website. It is still in the source
code, but at least one level of harvesting has been cut off... And it took
me far too long to munge my email address when using newsgroups, too. So I
figure I've been harvested by just about everyone interested in doing those
things.

It's annoying, for sure, but when ranked along with the great annoyances of
my day, spam is still a very minor thing. And it's become a routine every
morning weeding out the crap. I'm getting very good at it.

*Nobody* gets my real email address except personal friends.

And, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, I wouldn't consider email from a
business
that I know - and can opt out of - and look forward to - to be spam. To
me,
spam is unsolicited email from false addresses.
--
PeteCresswell

I can't tell you what spam is, but I know it when I see it.

No, you're absolutely right. In this case, any email from B&H would not be
getting it anyway.

dwight

Old December 8th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:32:14 -0500
ASAAR wrote:

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:02:29 GMT, Rick Sciacca wrote:

I give up! Who is B&H?

http://bhphotovideo.com/

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. But if you teach a man to
fish...

A better answer to Rick's question is

http://www.google.com

Paul Allen
Old December 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:22:52 -0800, Paul Allen wrote:

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:02:29 GMT, Rick Sciacca wrote:

I give up! Who is B&H?

http://bhphotovideo.com/

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. But if you teach a man to
fish...

A better answer to Rick's question is

http://www.google.com

I consider that kind of answer almost as obnoxious as replying
"google is your friend". Your reply is more appropriate when
dealing with someone known to have a history of not trying or who
appears to be a troll. As it was, my reply was pretty minimalist
and required some effort to learn what B&H is. That, or using
google probably won't yield enough clues to learn what B&H is really
about because B&H is more than the sum if its googl'able parts, if
ya know what I mean.

Old December 8th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rick Sciacca

On 12/8/06 11:22 AM, "Paul Allen" wrote:

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. But if you teach a man to
fish...

A better answer to Rick's question is

http://www.google.com

Paul Allen

Like I haven't heard about Goggle, dumbass. Technically there was no better
answer. He answered my question directly instead of giving me a search
engine, which completely failed to answer the question. I guess by your
reasoning, no one should EVER post a question here, as they can just search
Google for it?

-- Rick
http://fixupix.tripod.com/
http://www.backprint.com/cnypix

Old December 8th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:58:54 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:22:52 -0800, Paul Allen wrote:

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:02:29 GMT, Rick Sciacca wrote:

I give up! Who is B&H?

http://bhphotovideo.com/

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. But if you teach a man to
fish...

A better answer to Rick's question is

http://www.google.com

I consider that kind of answer almost as obnoxious as replying
"google is your friend". Your reply is more appropriate when
dealing with someone known to have a history of not trying or who
appears to be a troll. As it was, my reply was pretty minimalist
and required some effort to learn what B&H is. That, or using
google probably won't yield enough clues to learn what B&H is really
about because B&H is more than the sum if its googl'able parts, if
ya know what I mean.

I Googled "B&H" and B&H Photo Video was the first on the list.
Google offered the same clue you did. A click on your link, and the
link Google provided, would go to the same place.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"