cropping without degradation?

Old November 11th 05, 03:01 AM
Brigitte

Default cropping without degradation?

Hi Group,
Is there a free software program available that will allow me to crop photos
without the resulting photo being degraded?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old November 12th 05, 05:35 PM
Charles Kerekes

Brigitte,

In most cases image degradation is not due to the software used for
cropping, but the image file format. When you edit photos, do NOT use
JPEG, because it is compressed each time you save it, losing quality.
If you use non-compressed formats such as TIFF or PSD, the software
should not matter--they will not degrade.

Charlie
http://FlyingSamPhoto.com

Old November 13th 05, 02:58 AM
Mike S.

In article ,
Brigitte wrote:
Hi Group,
Is there a free software program available that will allow me to crop photos
without the resulting photo being degraded?

JPEGCROP is freeware that uses a GUI front end to JPEGTRAN. It performs
lossless cropping of JPEG images (i.e without re-encoding the image after
the crop operation).

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/
Old November 15th 05, 11:42 AM
peter

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Brigitte wrote:

Hi Group,
Is there a free software program available that will allow me to crop photos
without the resulting photo being degraded?

JPEGCROP is freeware that uses a GUI front end to JPEGTRAN. It performs
lossless cropping of JPEG images (i.e without re-encoding the image after
the crop operation).

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

Do remember though that when you crop you are throwing away pixels, so
the resolution will reduce!
Old November 16th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Charlie,

Thanks for this. Something I really have to study up on. Good
question, Brigitte.

Patzt

* * * * *
Join us at Photography Cafe
http://photography-cafe.com

Old November 18th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

In article ,
peter wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Brigitte wrote:

Hi Group,
Is there a free software program available that will allow me to crop photos
without the resulting photo being degraded?

JPEGCROP is freeware that uses a GUI front end to JPEGTRAN. It performs
lossless cropping of JPEG images (i.e without re-encoding the image after
the crop operation).

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

Do remember though that when you crop you are throwing away pixels, so
the resolution will reduce!

Correct. But utilities like jpegcrop will not introduce any additional
compression artifacts as a result of having cropped and saved the file.

Old November 19th 05, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:08:38 -0000, () wrote:
Brigitte wrote:

Is there a free software program available that will allow me to crop photos
without the resulting photo being degraded?

http://www.gimp.org/

Without such a steep learning curve:

http://www.imagemagick.org/

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
Old December 20th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Charles Kerekes a dit ça :

In most cases image degradation is not due to the software used for
cropping, but the image file format. When you edit photos, do NOT use
JPEG, because it is compressed each time you save it, losing quality.
If you use non-compressed formats such as TIFF or PSD, the software
should not matter--they will not degrade.

no !
not even
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/losslessapps.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/

--
Cordialement,
Alf92

Elements cropping question james Digital Photography 7 May 5th 05 04:02 PM
Nikon Capture 4: Aspect Ratio Cropping? anonymous1 Digital Photography 1 April 15th 05 02:47 AM
cropping thomas f Digital Photography 5 August 4th 04 05:11 PM
New Canon SLR with no 1.6x cropping?? Charlie Self Digital Photography 93 August 4th 04 05:53 AM
In-minilab cropping? [email protected] In The Darkroom 6 March 10th 04 06:20 PM