Nikon View / Capture vs PhotoShop CS question

Old October 13th 04, 07:16 AM
TamLin

Default Nikon View / Capture vs PhotoShop CS question

On 12 Oct 2004 04:27:55 -0700, Paddler wrote:

Hi

This is probably an elementary question and may be available on the
web.

I've been using Nikon View and raw files. I just got photoshop CS. I
did send a .NEF file from Nikon View to CS. What wasn't clear to me
is how can I pass the changes from CS back to Nikon View or can I at
all (and should I care).

One of the things I like about Nikon View and raw files is that the
source image doesn't actually get updated. Is that true in CS when
working with Nikon raw files?

If it isn't, is there an advantage to raw files in CS should it be
high quality JPG. (This isn't intended to start a debate about the
relative merits of eithre.)

Thanks for any advice.
Al

I _just_ made the conversion to both Photoshop CS and RAW because the few
times that I tried playing with Nikon View I got very frustrated very fast.
And while my Nikon 5700 shoots pretty slow in RAW (.NEF), I may never shoot
another portrait in JPG again!

Using Adobe's free Camera RAW plug-in, you can preview your RAW files
(albeit in thumbnail size), make at least twice the number of tweeks you
can in Nikon View (and MUCH easier, to boot), and you are only OPENING the
file -- no changes are made to the original .NEF file. This is made more
apparent by the fact that Photoshop can't save as a .NEF. Once you're done
editing, you'll be given the same Save As... dialog as usual, with the
typical choice being either .JPG or .TIF. For every shoot I do, I end up
with a folder of email-sized downsampled .jpg's nested in a folder of
full-resolution .jpgs nested in a folder of all of the .NEF files from that
shoot.

So give it a shot!