The real cost of being sued by Getty

Old October 17th 09, 07:54 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,rec.photo.digital
Jerry Stuckle

Default The real cost of being sued by Getty

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Ray Fischer
says...

A good reason to avoid Getty like the plague.

A good reason not to steal images. Stealing images and posting them on a
publicly accessible site is one of the dumbest things one can do.

Very true. Unfortunately, there are too many "webmasters" who either
think the:

1) anything on the internet is free for their taking, or
2) if they steal it they won't get caught, or
3) if the get caught, all they have to do is take it down

And in this case, one of those "webmaster's" clients got nailed.

I think the original demand was very appropriate. They should have just
paid it an continued to use the picture.

I also think we're going to see more of this, as image theft is getting
rampant on the internet.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old October 17th 09, 08:08 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,rec.photo.digital
NotMe

"Ray Fischer" wrote in message
: Bob Larter wrote:
: Alfred Molon wrote:
: Follow-up article on that infringement case which Getty brought to
: court:
: http://copyrightaction.com/forum/the...-sued-by-getty
:
: see also
: http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=10367
:
: 2000 GBP paid to Getty, 24000 GBP total expense
:
: Frankly, I think they got what they deserved. They stole an image, got
: caught, & they paid the price.
:
: They got off easy. They should have had to forfeit their entire
: business and turn over any 1st born sons.
:

Forfeiting the entire business is not without precedent. Most such cases
involve patent infringement but has been know to occur with copyright as
well.

We operate a graphic studio and are very protective of our copyright. The
majority of infringements are handled at the level of a letter from our
attorney. Those few that don't the proceeds, over expenses, are used for
scholarships.

Old October 17th 09, 11:16 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 17 Oct 2009 16:56:07 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

NotMe wrote:

"Ray Fischer" wrote in message
.. .
: Alfred Molon wrote:
: Follow-up article on that infringement case which Getty brought to
: court:
:
http://copyrightaction.com/forum/the...-sued-by-getty
:
: see also
: http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=10367
:
: 2000 GBP paid to Getty, 24000 GBP total expense
:
: A good reason to avoid Getty like the plague.

You could say the same of tax evasion, bank fraud, theft of utility and
cable service.

I am competely in support of people getting their money for their
work. But Getty is using photos in order to extort money to pay
lawyers. In my opinion (and that's for the lawyers).

Would you be happier if Getty did it himself?

Eric Stevens