Believing is seeing!

Old January 8th 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Believing is seeing!

On 1/7/20 10:19 PM, geoff wrote:
On 8/01/2020 2:18 pm, Eric Stevens wrote:

I am going to assume that in the context of gold plated power leads
you haven't yet realised that my response about a person who could
actually hear the difference, was a joke.

Not immediately apparent, as there are some people who do believe that
sort of thing, from both the peddling and consuming sides of the equation.

geoff

Gold connectors would have better conductivity (less electrical
resistance), and with sensitive enough metering, you could certainly
measure that. Since speaker wiring is low impedance (2-8 ohms
typically), that improved conductivity _might_ make a difference in the
power delivered to the speakers. But I doubt it would be audible.

That said, in my mobile DJ days, I used "monster-cable" clone speaker
wire. But mainly because it was easier to handle, didn't tangle as
easily as smaller gauge speaker wire, and laid flat on the floor so
taping it down was easier.

--
Ken Hart

Old January 8th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Gold connectors would have better conductivity (less electrical
resistance), and with sensitive enough metering, you could certainly
measure that. Since speaker wiring is low impedance (2-8 ohms
typically), that improved conductivity _might_ make a difference in the
power delivered to the speakers. But I doubt it would be audible.

*speakers* typically have 2-16‡ impedance, not the wiring, which is a
non-reactive load. any difference with gold connectors is *so* minor to
that won't be a measurable difference in power delivered and certainly
not anything audible. you'd do far better by using a lower gauge wire
than worrying about connectors.

That said, in my mobile DJ days, I used "monster-cable" clone speaker
wire. But mainly because it was easier to handle, didn't tangle as
easily as smaller gauge speaker wire, and laid flat on the floor so
taping it down was easier.

you wasted your money.

monster cable and its clones are nothing more than overpriced wire you
can get at a hardware store for pennies per foot.
Old January 8th 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 9/01/2020 9:08 am, Ken Hart wrote:
On 1/7/20 10:19 PM, geoff wrote:
[...]

Actually copper has higher conductivity than gold. The reason for gold
(or silver) plated connectors is their 'resistance' to tarnishing, and
in the case of silver the good conductivity of it's tarnish (a cost
trade-off compared to gold) compared to copper or nickel.

geoff
Old January 9th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Gold connectors would have better conductivity (less electrical
resistance), and with sensitive enough metering, you could certainly
measure that. Since speaker wiring is low impedance (2-8 ohms
typically), that improved conductivity _might_ make a difference in the
power delivered to the speakers. But I doubt it would be audible.

*speakers* typically have 2-16ý impedance,

Yes thats true although mostly 4-8 ohm.

yep

not the wiring, which is a
non-reactive load.

all cable has resistance capacitance and also inductance.

nothing that's in any way significant and can be completely ignored.

any difference with gold connectors is *so* minor to
that won't be a measurable difference in power delivered and certainly
not anything audible.

But with lots of use such platings do have an advantage.
if it's not an advantage why did they use it in old computers.
it wasnt; teh cheapest option then, and old computer components
as well as older mobiles are recycled for their gold and other precious
metals.
Why did they use them in the first place.

not for audible differences.

you'd do far better by using a lower gauge wire
than worrying about connectors.

No you wouldn;t , you know little about being a DJ.

false to both.

it;s not what yuo hear that is important here,

that's the issue being discussed.

it's whether the speaker cable
can to the jopb, and where not talkigm about 6ft to yuor hi-fi, were talking
oif perhaps 20-100ft between the speakers and the amps.

lower gauge wire is better for that too.

When you get pops and all sorts of sounds when setting up yuo don;t want
a cable burning out or teh connectors that are perhaps inserted and removed
100s of times to start to wear causing dodgy connectons and intermintant
connections.

if you're getting posp and sounds when setting up, you're doing it
wrong.

You can't use headphone cable to replace the speaker cable of a DJ system
either.

nobody said you could. where did that come from??

Even in the home you can have 1-2 amps flowing through speaker cable, that
would exceed most headphone cable specs.

this isn't about headphone cables.

That said, in my mobile DJ days, I used "monster-cable" clone speaker
wire. But mainly because it was easier to handle, didn't tangle as
easily as smaller gauge speaker wire, and laid flat on the floor so
taping it down was easier.

you wasted your money.

Well he bought a more robust cable that wouldn't break as easily as cheaper
thinner cable. It's not always about sound quality.
Mains cable is thicker than headphone cable it's not because of the audio
quality.

nobody is talking about headphone cable.

monster cable and its clones are nothing more than overpriced wire you
can get at a hardware store for pennies per foot.

But those cables don't include the connectors.

connectors are cheap, and audiophiles will eschew them anyway because
it's yet another connection.

The are cheap versions of Apple lightning cables are you saying there's
no differnce between cheap leads and genuine Apple leads.

bogus comparison. lightning cables have a chip in them.

Sure those audiophiles are most likely wrong when it comes to what they claim
hear differncies between two cables, but there's also a reason why guitarists
don't use thin cable to connect to their amps it's less about audio quality
and more about their robustnest when jumping around on stage,
something the the average iphone user (with wired headphones) or home
hi-fi users isn't so concerned about.
You'd think guitarist would be using wffi or bluetooth but the latency/delay
can still be a problem, yuo ight not be able to detect it but sound engineers can.

nobody said they should use thin cables, wifi or bluetooth.