FS: Photographie und Forschung 1935-1939

Old February 24th 04, 05:26 AM
Doug McClure

Default FS: Photographie und Forschung 1935-1939

I am pleased to offer the first 19 issues of "Photographie und
Forschung: Die Contax-Photograhie in der Wissenschaft", ("The Contax
in the Service of Science") published by Zeiss-Ikon, Dresden, dating
from 1935-1939. These will be of interest to students of the history
and use of photography in scientific investigation and publication.

The issues consist of:

Volume 1: April 1935 - December 1936 (Numbers 1-10)
Volume 2: March 1937 - January 1939 (Numbers 1-8)
Volume 3: July 1939 (Number 1)

The first three issues are printed in German, all others are in
English. These are small journals, each covered with stiff paper,
usually four articles and 30-40 pages per issue, with many photographs
per article. They were from an estate of a California school
teacher/packrat and she has written her name and usually the date
(when they were received?) at the bottom of the cover of each issue,
but I have spotted no other writing. There is some light wear and
discoloration and paper loss, especially at the spine, edges of the
cover, and page corners. I believe that these publications were
probably boxed for many years and the wear is probably from the issues
jostling against one another and the box.

A laid-in 'prospectus' in the first issue reads:

"The review 'Photographie und Forschung' is intended to serve for the
exchange of experiences when applying this new branch of photography
[That is, the use of the Zeiss Contax miniature camera] to all fields
of science and research: What is possible? How is it possible?

"We contemplate bringing out this review every two or three months.
Every issue will contain a number of articles pertaining to difference
spheres of photographic work and give, where necessary, descriptions
of technical accessories as well as references to improvements and
novelties...."

US$100 plus postage at cost and California sales tax, if applicable.
Unfortunately I am unable to accept credit cards.

All books are securely padded and boxed to protect your purchases,
though often recycled materials will be used. If you prefer, I will be
happy to drop ship your purchase directly to your customer, per your
instructions.

Please make checks or money orders payable to Douglas K. McClure.

I thank you for your business and look forward to your response.

Doug McClure
Torrey Pines Rare Books
PO Box 22015
San Diego, CA 92192-2015

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net