What's missing in LF newbie online resources?

Old February 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Frank Pittel

Default Dallas LF group first meeting 2/21/04 sat ...

I'm glad to hear about the group forming. I hope that things work out for
the group. I'm going to be in the Houston/Galvaston area mid may. Is
there anything in the area worth photographing? Maybe I can get together
with you and the group.

Bob Monaghan wrote:

: Yes, there is a dallas area large format group forming under the
: leadership of Glenn Arden ) and I am also hoping
: that it will lead to more LF resources in our local area as you noted,
: and for those who are interested but haven't gotten the info yet, viz.:

: quoting:
: We will have a get together of the DLFG on Saturday 2/21/04 at 1:30 P. M.
: at Don's Used Photographic Equipment, 2731 Irving Blvd., Dallas, TX.
: endquote

: see y'all there ;-)

: regards bobm
: --
: ************************************************** *********************
: * Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
: ********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************

-------------------

Old February 14th 04, 04:16 AM
Bob Monaghan

There are lots of things worth shooting in Texas (pun intended), start
with http://www.traveltex.com/ and request the free state guide (thickie)

Check library for Miller's Texas Photo Safaris and related photo guide
books. Without knowing more about subjects of interest, it is hard to say,
but that's a good start. Lots of surprising stuff, for example, in
downtown Dallas, we have a historic area with various cabins and mansions
at Old City Park (entry fee) including blacksmith and pottery crafts etc.
see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/dallas.html Great art deco just restored works
and old trains at State Fair of Texas fairgrounds (freebie) etc. etc.

finally, not to be missed in DFW area is the Amon Carter Museum, which has
a lot of photography resources, including early photos, lots of photos,
see http://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibition_schedule.html

quoting some upcoming shows:
An Artistic Legacy: Photographers' Archives at the Carter
February 7October 17, 2004

This is the first of many installations to feature selections from the
artist archives housed in the Amon Carter Museum: Carolotta Corpron, Nell
Dorr, Laura Gilpin, Eliot Porter, Erwin E. Smith, and Karl Struss. One of
the unique aspects of the museum's photography collection is the number of
photographic archives that have been acquired through bequest, gift, or
purchase. In addition to exhibition prints, these archives include
negatives, transparencies, and personal papers and libraries. These
archives provide curators and historians the rich opportunity to trace the
development of a photographer's style and analyze it within the broad
context of an entire life's work.

SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS:

Sights Once Seen: Daguerreotyping Fmont's Last Expedition through the
Rockies
January 31May 2, 2004

In 1853, explorer John C. Fmont led an expedition from Missouri to
California in an attempt to locate a route for the proposed
transcontinental railway. In this exhibition, Robert Shlaer, who from
1994 to 1998 retraced Fmont's route, documents the expedition with
daguerreotypes he made himself. Shlaer founded his work on an account
of Fmont's expedition written by Solomon Nu$es Carvalho. Carvalho made
more than 300 daguerreotypes documenting the expedition, but lost most
of his plates to a fire. Sights Once Seen presents Shlaer's
reconstruction of Carvalho's work.

Daguerreotypes are made with a process, introduced in 1839, that uses
small copper plates covered with a highly polished layer of silver to
create one-of-a-kind images of unparalleled detail. The process was
popular until the mid-1850s, when it was replaced by the wet-plate
process, which allows for multiple copies.
endquote

as for the DLFG, we will have to wait and see how it takes off, but I'd
like to see some visits to the Amon Carter behind the scenes to look at
Porter's 5,000+ transparencies etc. on file (not every one of them in one
go ;-)