Tominon 127mm Sweet Spot @ F11

Old February 12th 04, 10:26 PM
Dr. Slick

Default Tominon 127mm Sweet Spot @ F11

Hi,

I took shots at f11, f8, f5.6, and f4.5.

Turns out, f11 is the sharpest aperture for this lens, even a tiny
bit sharper than f16. f22 was way blurry.

I might try renting the G-Claron 150mm again, and try more
apertures, to see if this would be worth the extra money. Like i
said, f16 looked bad on the G-Claron, so maybe you really have to stop
down with this one.

If the G-claron really isn't much better, i might consider the
Tominon.

Slick
Old February 13th 04, 03:28 AM
Phil Tobias

Turns out, f11 is the sharpest aperture for this lens, even a tiny bit
sharper than f16. f22 was way blurry. f22 was way blurry.
I might try renting the G-Claron 150mm again, and try more apertures, to
see if this would be worth the extra money. Like i said, f16 looked bad on the
G-Claron, so maybe you really have to stop down with this one.

"Blurry" and "bad" shots with lenses generally known to be good for copy work
leads me to suspect other problems.
Are you using a rock-steady tripod? Are you using a cable release? Are you
allowing a few seconds for the camera to stabilize after pulling the dark
slide?
I'd like to rule out camera shake, before ruling out lenses with good
reputations.

Good luck. ...pt

-------------------------------
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Effective writing, graphic design, multimedia, photos, and Web sites.
Old February 13th 04, 05:15 AM
Stacey

Phil Tobias wrote:

"Blurry" and "bad" shots with lenses generally known to be good for copy
work leads me to suspect other problems.

Or a bad rental lens..

--

Stacey
Old February 13th 04, 06:05 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/12/2004 9:15 PM Stacey spake thus:

Phil Tobias wrote:

"Blurry" and "bad" shots with lenses generally known to be good for copy
work leads me to suspect other problems.

Or a bad rental lens..

From the impeccable firm of Keeble & Shuchat? Heaven forbid!

--
It's fun to demonize the neo-cons and rejoice in their discomfiture, but
don't make the mistake of thinking US foreign policy was set by Norman

- Alexander Cockburn, _CounterPunch_
(http://www.counterpunch.org), 9/17/03

Old February 13th 04, 09:48 PM
Dr. Slick

Stacey wrote in message ...
Phil Tobias wrote:

"Blurry" and "bad" shots with lenses generally known to be good for copy
work leads me to suspect other problems.

Or a bad rental lens..

Maybe....

S.
Old February 14th 04, 05:10 AM
Phil Tobias

And i'm very paranoid about not moving the cable too much when i depress the
lever to keep the shutter open for the few seconds.

With an exposure of a "few seconds," it would be easy to inadvertently get
some blurriness due to camera or subject movement.
If the lens is sharp at similar apertures, but blurry at apertures requiring a
longer exposure, movement seems a likely suspect. Try shooting one sheet at the
same aperture outdoors, where you can use a high enough shutter speed to
totally rule out movement as the problem.
To help minimize movement indoors, if not using electronic flash, you could
try covering the lens when the shutter opens and closes. When you first release
the shutter on "B" setting with your cable release, hold the dark slide in
front of the lens for a couple seconds, then move it away to uncover your lens.
Reverse this procedure before completing the long exposure. This can help
reduce any additional movement introduced by firing the shutter. A rock-solid
tripod and careful technique (or electronic flash lighting) can probably
eliminate this extra care.

Good luck. ...pt

PS: Some carpeted floors are also less then steady. Especially if you're
bouncing around.