batch auto clean old photos

Old January 28th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JR

Default batch auto clean old photos

I have a very lengthy process for doing video restoration of old video
footage. I can get the video very clean, however am left with old
original dirt and dust marks from the camera all over the place after
the footage is cleaned up. Kind of natural since it's from the 60's,
however if I can remove it all the better. So you may be asking, "Why
is he writing this here?". Well, part of my restoration process is to
convert each frame of video into a TIFF image and run software to
clean up the pixelation in the video. So I have tens to hundreds of
thousands of individual TIFF files. I'm guessing there is no magic
bullet, however I am not going to clean the "dirt" out of that many
images. There is also lines through the middle at points from a tear
in the film. None of the software I found to correct this in it's
video format have been successful so thought I would see if anyone
knew of anything to attack this dirt in a picture and clean it up.
Automated batch processing would be a necessity.

Thanks.

JR

Old January 30th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Jan 28, 5:17 pm, "JR" wrote:
[...]

If you scan the images you can use Digital Ice, the latest hardly
degrade the image at all while taking out the dust. Post imaging,
there is the Polaroid Dust Filter. This does blur the image slightly,
sharpening after helps a little.

Good luck
Tom

Old January 30th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"tomm42" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 28, 5:17 pm, "JR" wrote:
[...]

Digital ICE on individual video frames? That would take a lifetime. And
what kind of scanner does video?

There are probably some high-end professional solutions, but not at the
consumer price level. The OP should contact Ken Rockwell--he is in that
business and probably knows what is available.

Old February 3rd 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JR

I used Neat Image to parse through all the frames and it did a
beautiful job of cleaning up the video. Now this "dirt" is what is
left over. Not sure if it could process it a second time to resolve,
but doubt it as I do not think that's it's purpose. In some cases
it's a big blotch which I do not think tools like that will see as
noise, which is what they are looking for.

I am currently testing Film Fix, with limited success, however on a 23
minute film with a high cleanup setting, it's going to take 116 hours
on a 3GHz system.

JR

On Jan 30, 6:23 pm, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
wrote:
On 28 Jan 2007 14:17:42 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "JR"

wrote:
[...]

Have you tried any of the noise reduction programs on such? Neat Image,
Noise Ninja, etc. I'm wondering if it might be possible to set the
appropriate parameters to allow these tools to perform another task. Might
be worth even asking the program support folks if this is possible.
--
Ed Ruf )http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...al/index.html- Hide quoted text -