1 month WiFi packages in US?

Old July 13th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default 1 month WiFi packages in US?

I've been trying to find a one month WiFi package for the US (Southwest).

eg: I pay once and then get WiFi access where available w/o having to
hound out a free spot.

Anyone?

(I've found Boingo and MobilityPass but they're more oriented to long
term packages rather than 1 shot packages).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 13th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:
I've been trying to find a one month WiFi package for the US (Southwest).

eg: I pay once and then get WiFi access where available w/o having to
hound out a free spot.

Anyone?

(I've found Boingo and MobilityPass but they're more oriented to long
term packages rather than 1 shot packages).

Free WiFi spots might in fact be a better way to go, so you're not
'locked out' in a particular town due to the absence of that carrier.
Also, Starbuck's coffee shops have a pay as you go 'service' afaik.

I did a test for you by entering 'cafe WiFi locations new mexico'. Santa
Fe comes up with 32.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 13th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default 1 month WiFi packages in US?- clarified.

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I've been trying to find a one month WiFi package for the US (Southwest).

eg: I pay once and then get WiFi access where available w/o having to
hound out a free spot.

Anyone?

(I've found Boingo and MobilityPass but they're more oriented to long
term packages rather than 1 shot packages).

Free WiFi spots might in fact be a better way to go, so you're not
'locked out' in a particular town due to the absence of that carrier.
Also, Starbuck's coffee shops have a pay as you go 'service' afaik.

Linked to a specific carrier.

I did a test for you by entering 'cafe WiFi locations new mexico'. Santa
Fe comes up with 32.

Step left out: clicking on a link with the key word "free" in it. Not
all will be, I'd guess, and not all may be in business when one is there.

--
John McWilliams

Old July 13th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I've been trying to find a one month WiFi package for the US (Southwest).

eg: I pay once and then get WiFi access where available w/o having to
hound out a free spot.

Anyone?

(I've found Boingo and MobilityPass but they're more oriented to long
term packages rather than 1 shot packages).

Free WiFi spots might in fact be a better way to go, so you're not
'locked out' in a particular town due to the absence of that carrier.
Also, Starbuck's coffee shops have a pay as you go 'service' afaik.

I did a test for you by entering 'cafe WiFi locations new mexico'. Santa
Fe comes up with 32.

I've done the Free WiFi hound routine before and it does work. There is
a website that tracks free WiFi spots (can't find it now, but there is
at least one that uses Google maps to locate WiFi hotpsots).

Example map from another site of free WiFi:
http://www.wigle.net/images/rigled-images/national.png

However I have to stay in touch with some business activity so for $20 -
$30 it is a tiny investment in sure comms. And where my chosen service
might not exist I can use the free WiFi's as a backup. Many hotels have
WiFi as well (perversely the economy hotels/motels offer it for free;
and the expensive hotels usually charge $9.95 per day...).

I do not do Starbucks. (Well, I fail on that vow in the odd airport...)

I find independent cafe's or restaurants that serve good coffee without
the designed-to-impress-Americans fluff. And they usually have WiFi.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 13th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I've been trying to find a one month WiFi package for the US (Southwest).

eg: I pay once and then get WiFi access where available w/o having to
hound out a free spot.

Anyone?

(I've found Boingo and MobilityPass but they're more oriented to long
term packages rather than 1 shot packages).

Free WiFi spots might in fact be a better way to go, so you're not
'locked out' in a particular town due to the absence of that carrier.
Also, Starbuck's coffee shops have a pay as you go 'service' afaik.

I did a test for you by entering 'cafe WiFi locations new mexico'. Santa
Fe comes up with 32.

Depending on where you travel, you may find that free Wi-Fi is
available, if you know where to look. Many truck stops offer it, as do
many state roadside parks (almost all major Texas roadside parks have
it). I have used several of these access sites, and they work well. In
addition, some cities have free access near libraries, and city halls,
and some citied (Corpus Christi, Tx., for example) have free Wi-Fi
access throughout the major part of the city business district, and at
the airport.
Old July 13th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Alan Browne wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

If you are REALLY a cheapskate, you can always drive up to a motel, and
access their system from the parking lot... I didn't recommend that!
Old July 13th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Ron Hunter wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

As I said I'm well versed in finding free WiFi's ... but for this trip I
need the certainty of WiFi for business reasons. Free WiFi would be the
backup. So I'm willing to pay for it.

That's what I'm looking for. I'll probably go with Boingo for $9.95 per
month and then cancel it when I get home.

Ideally there would be a one month pack. This seems more common in
Europe (and in US airports, but not on the road).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 13th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ron Hunter wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Ron, don't you read a thead before replying?

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 14th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

...I'm well versed in finding free WiFi's ... but for this trip I
need the certainty of WiFi for business reasons. Free WiFi would be the
backup. So I'm willing to pay for it.

That's what I'm looking for. I'll probably go with Boingo for $9.95 per
month and then cancel it when I get home.

http://www.boingo.com/search.html?ct...ype=advanc ed
Ah... McD's & cafes...

You might look into a Verizon air card though it's like $100 for the
card & $60/mo for 5GB: don't email your photos back home on that plan! I
thought about that but apparently it's not really suitable for daily use.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=2730

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old July 14th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Alan Browne wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

You can pretty much count on finding a McDonald's just about anywhere in
the US, so that would be a good alternative, if you don't mind paying.

Web Designing and Hosting Packages [email protected] Digital Photography 0 January 1st 08 10:00 PM
WiFi adaptor Rob M Digital SLR Cameras 8 April 25th 06 12:12 AM
D70 WiFi Billy Digital Photography 13 November 12th 05 12:03 PM
D70 WiFi Billy Digital Photography 0 November 11th 05 05:51 AM
monitor profiling packages Bill Hilton Digital Photography 7 April 15th 05 05:22 AM