Ansel Adams - Yosemite

Old April 29th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Dave[_8_]

Default Ansel Adams - Yosemite

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/28/2008 10:48 AM Dave spake thus:

____ wrote:

In article ,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

"Pico" pico at idrailogid.ten wrote

AA didn't trek far from the roads the roads. Enjoy!
Wasn't that EW(?): "Anything more than 50ft from the road
is not photogenic."

From what I read, AA scrambled all over the place -
mule in tow. Mule packing camera, glass plates,
tripod, iron fry pan, 30 lb canvas tent, 20 lb axe,
2 dozen eggs, 5 lb bacon, sack of flour, sack of potatoes ...

Brett Weston.

"Anything more than 50ft from the road is not photogenic."

Glad to see someone give credit to the correct Weston. I've pretty
much lived (photographed) by his credo since my 8x10 days. At my
current age and health I still adhere to it with my current DSLR "stuff".

Which of course doesn't make his (Weston's) assertion any less absurd. I
suppose in his case the only excuse one could make is that he was always
able to find photogenic stuff that close to the road.

I've stood in the very place where AA planted his tripod here in the
Berkeley hills (for his shots of UC Berkeley looking over the bay), and
believe me, it's a hell of a lot more than 50 feet from any road.

Adams was part mountain goat in his younger years. Scared the cr*p out
of friends and family.

I envy you your Berkley location. (Born in Oakland BTW) It is kind of a
long schlep from NY though. =;~)

Brett W shot virtually all his stuff using an 11x14 camera. I think
carrying that and needed accessories is above and beyond.

Of course he (and I) was (are) seeking photogenic subjects which are
easily accessible. DUH

Best,
Dave

PS - Spent over 2 years shooting from bedroom window due to health.
Restrictive? Yes, but what I could handle. Made a lot of pretty good
bird pictures. To each his own.

PPS - Curious. Did you take a large format set up with you to the Adams
location?
Old April 29th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 4/29/2008 10:19 AM Dave spake thus:

I envy you your Berkley location. (Born in Oakland BTW)

That's where I am now. I get to watch all the photogenic industrial
stuff disappear, to be replaced by new-age yuppie crap.

PPS - Curious. Did you take a large format set up with you to the Adams
location?

No, sorry to say I only brought one of them newfangled "miniature"
cameras, 35mm or some such. Will schlep a *real* camera there someday ...

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Old April 29th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Dave wrote:

PS - Spent over 2 years shooting from bedroom window due to health.
Restrictive? Yes, but what I could handle. Made a lot of pretty good bird
pictures. To each his own.

Did not Jimmy Stewart do that in "Rear Window"?

And in the world of reality, did not W. Eugene Smith do the same thing in NYC?

^^-^^ 13:55:01 up 42 days, 18:57, 3 users, load average: 4.18, 4.19, 4.22
Old April 29th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Dave[_8_]

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Dave wrote:

PS - Spent over 2 years shooting from bedroom window due to health.
Restrictive? Yes, but what I could handle. Made a lot of pretty good bird
pictures. To each his own.

Did not Jimmy Stewart do that in "Rear Window"?

And in the world of reality, did not W. Eugene Smith do the same thing in NYC?

Yes, but Stewart was shooting Raymond Burr whom he suspected of having
murdered his (Burr's) wife. I only shot birds and squirrels. Not nearly
as exciting.

As for reality, I thought (think) that it was Alfred Stieglitz who shot
NYC streets from his window, but I certainly could be mistaken. (Being
one, I'm also a fan of Smith's work.)

Best,
Dave
Old April 29th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article VUKRj.13918$E77.5086@trnddc05,
Dave wrote:

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Dave wrote:

PS - Spent over 2 years shooting from bedroom window due to health.
Restrictive? Yes, but what I could handle. Made a lot of pretty good bird
pictures. To each his own.

Did not Jimmy Stewart do that in "Rear Window"?

And in the world of reality, did not W. Eugene Smith do the same thing in
NYC?

Yes, but Stewart was shooting Raymond Burr whom he suspected of having
murdered his (Burr's) wife. I only shot birds and squirrels. Not nearly
as exciting.

As for reality, I thought (think) that it was Alfred Stieglitz who shot
NYC streets from his window, but I certainly could be mistaken. (Being
one, I'm also a fan of Smith's work.)

Best,
Dave

Stieglitz made awesome imagery from his studio window looking at the NY
skyline and opposite windows of adjacent buildings. I believe they were
platinum and platinum palladium prints which have and have depth of tone
that silver prints are hard pressed to match.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 30th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Dave wrote:

As for reality, I thought (think) that it was Alfred Stieglitz who shot
NYC streets from his window, but I certainly could be mistaken. (Being
one, I'm also a fan of Smith's work.)

You are not exactly mistaken. Gene Smith did it, probably with a 35mm
camera. And Stieglitz did it with an 8x10.

^^-^^ 20:55:01 up 43 days, 1:57, 3 users, load average: 4.62, 4.40, 4.29
Old April 30th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pico

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

No, sorry to say I only brought one of them newfangled "miniature"
cameras, 35mm or some such.

Oh those little things? What are they called, Leekers, something like that?

Will schlep a *real* camera there someday ...

With the way things are going you will have to get a permit, maybe be
frisked by a grumpy and ignorant federal security agent, and maybe still pay
a fee. Ya gotta look nonprofessional. Maybe a cell-phone camera, eh?

Or I can point to some stealth pinhole cameras including the Mouth Camera
and believe it or not, the Asshole Camera. See, the human body has only two
voluntary adjustable exterior apertures. OK, some will argue three.

Old May 4th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:59:10 GMT, Jean-David Beyer
wrote:

Gene Smith did it, probably with a 35mm camera.

A lot and they are quite good.

JD
Old April 27th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
Pico pico at idrailogid.ten wrote:

AA didn't trek far from the roads the roads. Enjoy!

You might be surprised by some of his treks. But that camera was
a wee bit heavy. (Mine certainly is!)

--
http://yosemitenews.info/
Old April 27th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

In article ,
Pico pico at idrailogid.ten wrote:

AA didn't trek far from the roads the roads. Enjoy!

[chuckle] Three AA images taken "far from the roads" - there are others.

a. Obviously you have not read Charis Wilson's *California and the West* -
the account of the year or so that Wilson and Edward Weston spent running
around California, Arizona, and Nevada with camera after Weston won the
Guggenheim in 1937. There is an account there of AA taking Weston and
Wilson to Lake Ediza, where Weston shot one of his famous images of Wilson:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/cl-westo...,3563976.photo

There was no road to Lake Ediza then. And there still is no road to Lake
Ediza.

b. Another example, of course, is AA's famous image of the face of Half Dome
taken from the Springboard:

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1961

Try driving to that location! In fact, I marvel at the account of how AA
got there with Virginia Best, his wife to be, and friends -

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Shop/a..._half_dome.htm

No trail, at least today. And no trail 40 years ago, when I tried
unsuccessfully to trace his way up. Definitely no road.

c. Among many other AA's images of the Sierras is one of my favorite -
Cathedral Peak and Upper Cathedral Lake

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=2003

You'd be about four miles from the nearest road, should you be so fortunate
as to be able to visit this locale.