Microsoft bails on its Windows 10 phone platform

Old October 11th 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Microsoft bails on its Windows 10 phone platform

"RichA" wrote

| http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41551546

Yes indeed. Now they have to figure out how
to explain to Windows developers that they should
still be making "universal"/Metro phone trinket
apps instead of real software, given that the
desktop is the only serious MS presence left.

As nospam said, it's been dead for awhile, but
it is significant that they've admitted that and
acknowledged they're dropping development.

Old October 11th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41551546

Yes indeed. Now they have to figure out how
to explain to Windows developers that they should
still be making "universal"/Metro phone trinket
apps instead of real software, given that the
desktop is the only serious MS presence left.

you still have that stick up your butt?

As nospam said, it's been dead for awhile, but
it is significant that they've admitted that and
acknowledged they're dropping development.

they unofficially admitted it a while ago.
Old October 11th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| Yes indeed. Now they have to figure out how
| to explain to Windows developers that they should
| still be making "universal"/Metro phone trinket
| apps instead of real software, given that the
| desktop is the only serious MS presence left.
|
| you still have that stick up your butt?

Crudeness aside, I'm not clear about what "that
stick" is. Dislike of Metro apps? As a Windows
programmer it's not just a preference. Microsoft
are trying to sandbox Windows and push developers
into only making Metro apps, which are similar to
script-driven webpages. Some versions of Windows
10 already won't run Windows software. The original
justification involved syncing across platforms:
Get the same UI on your phone and computer, use
the same apps, use the same online services, etc.
But now there's no phone and Windows tablets are
all but non-existent. Surface sells because it's
basically a laptop.

If Windows goes to Metro-only it means that anything
needing system access won't be installable. It means
I might not be able to even write my own graphic
software and would be forced to use Windows in
a kind of kiosk mode to access online services. That's
not a worry for someone like you who uses a Mac
and rents Photoshop. You gave up your freedom
long ago. For those of us on Windows, we're used
to driving our own car and customizing it as needed.

I'm used to being able to write -- or download
for free -- nearly everything I might need, as full
Windows software. That's the original model of
Windows as a "platform". It's a platform for software
to run and be functional. The Metro model casts
Windows as something more like an ATM: You
see ads and buy services through a functionality-
limited interface.

Old October 11th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Yes indeed. Now they have to figure out how
| to explain to Windows developers that they should
| still be making "universal"/Metro phone trinket
| apps instead of real software, given that the
| desktop is the only serious MS presence left.
|
| you still have that stick up your butt?

Crudeness aside,

crude or not, it's very true.

I'm not clear about what "that
stick" is. Dislike of Metro apps?

first of all, it hasn't been called metro in years.

second, you continue to refer to them as 'trinket apps' and not being
'real software'.

As a Windows
programmer it's not just a preference. Microsoft
are trying to sandbox Windows and push developers
into only making Metro apps, which are similar to
script-driven webpages.

nonsense.

photoshop elements is hardly 'similar to script-driven webpages', nor
is it in any way a 'trinket app'.

it's what you call 'real software'.

https://www.windowscentral.com/adobe...-hits-windows-
store
We knew this one was coming eventually, but Adobe has now finally
released Photoshop Elements 15 into the Windows Store.

Some versions of Windows
10 already won't run Windows software.

really? win10 now runs mac software instead?

sometimes (more accurately, most of the time) you say the most ****ed
up things.

anyway, what you're no doubt referring to is windows 10s, which most
certainly *does* run windows software, just only what's downloaded from
the windows app store, and that includes *photoshop* *elements* (see
above).

there are *significant* security benefits in running only windows store
apps because users can't be tricked into installing malware or crapware
from some random website.

for those who want to use more than what's available in the store, they
can always upgrade to win10, which is currently free.

The original
justification involved syncing across platforms:
Get the same UI on your phone and computer, use
the same apps, use the same online services, etc.
But now there's no phone and Windows tablets are
all but non-existent. Surface sells because it's
basically a laptop.

more than basically. the surface laptop *is* a laptop, although it
doesn't sell that well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-laptop/overview

If Windows goes to Metro-only it means that anything
needing system access won't be installable. It means
I might not be able to even write my own graphic
software and would be forced to use Windows in
a kind of kiosk mode to access online services.

you can still write your graphic software, not that anyone wants to use
any of it.

That's
not a worry for someone like you who uses a Mac
and rents Photoshop. You gave up your freedom
long ago. For those of us on Windows, we're used
to driving our own car and customizing it as needed.

more nonsense.

mac users have not given up any freedom. in fact, mac users have *more*
freedom than those using windows systems and can customize it in ways
you can't even comprehend.

I'm used to being able to write -- or download
for free -- nearly everything I might need, as full
Windows software.

you're used to being able to write windows xp software.

you can still write or download software, you just have to learn about
all of the changes in the past fifteen years, since windows xp was
first released.

That's the original model of
Windows as a "platform". It's a platform for software
to run and be functional.

no different for macos, ios and android platforms.

Old October 11th 17, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| I'm not clear about what "that
| stick" is. Dislike of Metro apps?
|
| first of all, it hasn't been called metro in years.

True. I use that term deliberately to cut through
Microsoft's obfuscation. It was all Metro in Win8.
It was also RT and the apps ran in WinRT. Then
it was "modern apps". Then it was "universal apps".
Typical Microsoft marketing. Their official term for
the product includes a passive aggressive valorization:
Metro trinkets are not just new. They're better. They
run on more systems. (Which is actually not true,
but so what, right?)

On the bright side, few people are writing Metro apps
because 1) they're limited and 2) there's no market.

| photoshop elements is hardly 'similar to script-driven webpages', nor
| is it in any way a 'trinket app'.
| it's what you call 'real software'.

Yes. There are a few of those. But that's
not where it's all headed. When you can only
run things that come from the Windows Store
that means you can get a beginner graphic
editor like PS Elements, but you can't choose
from the full range, nor write it yourself. The
fact that a few corporate partners may have Win32
software in the WinStore doesn't change the
landscape.

| there are *significant* security benefits in running only windows store
| apps because users can't be tricked into installing malware or crapware
| from some random website.

Spoken like a true AppleSeed. You should
like the new Microsoft direction just fine.

Old October 11th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I'm not clear about what "that
| stick" is. Dislike of Metro apps?
|
| first of all, it hasn't been called metro in years.

True. I use that term deliberately to cut through
Microsoft's obfuscation. It was all Metro in Win8.
It was also RT and the apps ran in WinRT.

a lot has changed since win8 and winrt was a mistake.

Then
it was "modern apps". Then it was "universal apps".
Typical Microsoft marketing. Their official term for
the product includes a passive aggressive valorization:
Metro trinkets are not just new. They're better. They
run on more systems. (Which is actually not true,
but so what, right?)

On the bright side, few people are writing Metro apps
because 1) they're limited and 2) there's no market.

nonsense.

| photoshop elements is hardly 'similar to script-driven webpages', nor
| is it in any way a 'trinket app'.
| it's what you call 'real software'.

Yes. There are a few of those. But that's
not where it's all headed. When you can only
run things that come from the Windows Store
that means you can get a beginner graphic
editor like PS Elements,

photoshop elements is not a beginner graphic editor.

beginners would be overwhelmed with what it can do.

the point you fail to grasp is that apps on the windows store are not
what you call trinkets. many of them are *very* capable apps.

but you can't choose
from the full range, nor write it yourself. The
fact that a few corporate partners may have Win32
software in the WinStore doesn't change the
landscape.

nonsense.

| there are *significant* security benefits in running only windows store
| apps because users can't be tricked into installing malware or crapware
| from some random website.

Spoken like a true AppleSeed.

another stick up your ass.

note that microsoft has a version of windows 10 that runs *only*
windows app store apps, whereas no version of mac os has that
restriction.

now, what were you saying about freedom?

You should
like the new Microsoft direction just fine.

indeed i do.

satya is doing a *lot* of very good things at microsoft. ballmer would
have killed the company had he not been fired. oh, i mean forced to
resign.