Seven decades of Soviet photography

Old October 8th 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Seven decades of Soviet photography

On Oct 7, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:17:04 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/7/2017 3:32 PM, android wrote:

snip

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...

Yep.
There was a book and movie called "Gorky Park," which was an adventure
tale of fur smuggling. There are a lot of things that were left out.
(One of the real life characters, in that story, is a former client.)

Strange that there were any real life characters written about in “Gorky
Park”, other than Stalin, as it was a work of fiction by Martin Cruz
Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cruz_Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Park_(novel)

The novel was set in the year 1977. Stalin died in 1953. Stalin, of
course, always is a presence in any book about Russia but he wasn't
part of "Gorky Park". The year 1977 would have been under Kosygin and
Brezhnev.

In the “Arkady Renko” tales, Stalin, Beria, and some WWII era generals
played a role in establishing Renko’s back story and purged father.

It is not at all unusual for a real-life character to be mentioned in
a novel. Part of "Gorky Park" takes place in the NYC, so it's
entirely possible that a real character would have been mentioned.

I believe in that particular novel, and others in the series, real life
Russian characters such as Stalin, Beria, and some real Russian Generals, as
well as most of the Politburo, NKVD/NKGB, and KGB succession were mentioned.
I don’t recall any real life NYC characters playing a role in the tale(s).

What is more likely is that old stand-by of books and movies: "based
on". A fictional character is often "based on" a real person, and
many times that real person is recognizable by certain readers.

I read the novel and saw the movie, but it's been too many years to
remember the characters other than "Arkady Renko". He was the
protagonist in this and other Cruz novels. All great reads.

Yup! I read the novel and saw the movie. I have also read several of the
other “Renko” novels, all very enthralling.

The most striking memory I have of the movie is Lee Marvin's character
at the mink ranch. Even sitting in a warm movie theater, I felt cold.
One of Marvin's better roles.

He certainly played the ruthless psychopath against Hurt’s duped, stiff,
good cop.

Savageduck

Old October 8th 17, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/7/2017 3:32 PM, android wrote:

snip

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...

Yep.
There was a book and movie called "Gorky Park," which was an adventure
tale of fur smuggling. There are a lot of things that were left out.
(One of the real life characters, in that story, is a former client.)

I saw that one... Fading in memory though... Who was it?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 8th 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/7/2017 7:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/7/2017 3:32 PM, android wrote:

snip

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...

Yep.
There was a book and movie called "Gorky Park," which was an adventure
tale of fur smuggling. There are a lot of things that were left out.
(One of the real life characters, in that story, is a former client.)

Strange that there were any real life characters written about in “Gorky
Park”, other than Stalin, as it was a work of fiction by Martin Cruz Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cruz_Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Park_(novel)

I will summarize what I can tell you. The saga starts where there is a
trade agreement under which We traded some breeding pairs of mink in
exchange for IIRC two breeding sable. It is rather easy to breed mink,
but sable are not. We had little knowledge on how to breed sable and
thought that we we tricked into accepting. As a result of thee above we
enacted a ban on the importation of Soviet furs. The USSR banned the
export of sable. My former client and some of his relatives were
involved in the fur smuggling network, that is discussed in the book and
movie. I will not go further as to the extent of his involvement.

--
PeterN
Old October 8th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

My former client and some of his relatives were
involved in the fur smuggling network, that is discussed in the book and
movie. I will not go further as to the extent of his involvement.

Oki...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 8th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 8, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

OK! So your former client, and his family are in hiding from PETA. That is
perfectly understandable.

Their criminal business of smuggling furs was integral to the plot of the
tale, but none of them were actually mentioned by name in the book, or movie.
Is that about right?

Savageduck

Old October 8th 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/8/2017 3:09 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 8, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Yep. If he hadn't been involved in that criminal enterprise, there the
book might have never been written. Some of his past exploits would make
a very interesting and exciting story. The sequel is in the public
record. He had a financial dispute with his former partners, so he
became an informant for the Treasury,of fur smuggling matters. He then
became a drug smuggler. He was caught on his first attempt, and was
sentenced to six months in a half way house because he had been a
government informer.

--
PeterN
Old October 8th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 8, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

So you get to meet and represent some of the sweetest folks as an NYC
mouth-piece?

Savageduck

Old October 8th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 8, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 13:29:37 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 8, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Gotta laugh that a former cop thinks meeting low-life is in any way
remarkable.

My remark was supposed to be delivered with a hint of irony.:-)

Did I say anything about remarkable?

Oh! I have crossed paths with far more dispicable (I always associate that
word with Daffy Duck) low-lifes than NYC fur & dope smugglers. They included
gangsters who disregarded the entire Penal Code, individuals who were evil
sociopaths, and some pure idiots with no concept of the degree of criminality
they had sunk to. Some of them had been part of my caseload, and some I have
met and interviewed in prison. Some of them were cops, and many of those are
now former cops. Some were realtors, some attorneys, a doctor or two, a few
bikers, and the occasional homeless junkie.

An example of the type of individual I am taking about is a 19 year old who
shot and killed his girlfriend because she threatened to tell his mother that
he was still doing dope. He rolled her into his mother’s livingroom rug,
put her into her own car, and parked it outside the home of her old
boyfriend. He is currently doing life in the California prison system, the
last I heard was that he was at Soledad.

As a former CPA or lawyer (I've never been sure what PeterN was when
he was practicing), the low-lifes he might have met probably do less
jail or prison time compared to the ones a cop deals with. The crimes
committed by PeterN's clients aren't any less criminal, but the
sentences are far more lenient.

Which reminds me of a joke:

A guy is standing next to a parked car in a space that is clearly
marked "NO PARKING". A cop stops and pulls out his ticket book and
prepares to write a citation.

The guy says to the cop "Don't be an asshole. I'll move the car".

This ****es the cop off and he writes a second ticket for a cracked
tail light.

The guy reaches over, grabs the two tickets, and tears them up saying
"**** you, pig."

Incensed, the cop calls a tow truck and has the car towed away.

The guy watches the car being towed away and saunters over to the bus
stop and gets on the next bus. Another guy, who was waiting for the
bus and watching the whole thing, says "Why'd you **** off the cop
like that? Now you gotta pay towing and impound charges."

The guy says "Not my car. Every day I stand by some car with a
TRUMP/PENCE sticker on the bumper and wait for a cop to come by."

That I find funny. ;-)

Savageduck

Old October 9th 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/8/2017 4:29 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 8, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Watchagonnado.

--
PeterN

Soviet Britain, if you are just a civilian Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 2 February 14th 10 08:34 PM
In Soviet Russia... slunky Photographing Nature 1 August 7th 09 05:52 AM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola 35mm Photo Equipment 1 November 10th 06 02:26 PM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola General Photography Techniques 0 November 10th 06 08:34 AM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola Digital Photography 0 November 10th 06 08:26 AM