Seven decades of Soviet photography

Old October 6th 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Seven decades of Soviet photography

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve
--
Alfred Molon

Old October 7th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve

URL fix:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...23/seven-decad
es-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures
--
teleportation kills
Old October 7th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 7, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In . com,
Alfred Molon wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve

URL fix:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...23/seven-decad es-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

Not quite.

Savageduck

Old October 7th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 7, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In . com,
Alfred Molon wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve

URL fix:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...23/seven-decad
es-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

Not quite.

That's weird. There should not be a line break in there... Could it be
that your NNTP client is at fault?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 7th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Sat, 07 Oct 2017 20:25:01 +0200, android
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 7, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In . com,
Alfred Molon wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

The way Usenet is, you're all probably about as old as I am, 70, but
maybe not and anyhow, I remember when the Soviets released pictures of
the far side of the moon. Americans, including iirc government
officials and scientists, disputed if they were accurate. I guess this
was years after Sputnik but Americans were still annoyed that they were
ahead of us. Without a satellite, you can see a little more than half
of the moon, I guess because it wobbles or something, and they said they
checked if the edges of the Soviet photos matched. Some also said
they saw signs of brush strokes or maybe line drawing.

And that was all I heard, never a resolution.

So about 20 years later when i was visiting DC, I called NASA and asked
if the pictures were real. The person on the phone didn't know there
was a question, but s/he found a big book of photos and it gave a
picture of the far side and credited the Soviets, so we concluded their
pictures were real after all.

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve

URL fix:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2015/jun/23/seven-decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

Very interesting.

Not quite.

That's weird. There should not be a line break in there... Could it be
that your NNTP client is at fault?

When there is a line break, I just click on reply and delete the extra
characters between the two parts, usually a line-feed and
quoted-text-prefix. In this case there are more.

It's funny that I assumed the pictures would at least partly be about
space. I guess the story above is close to my memory.
Old October 7th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 3:42:35 PM UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve
--
Alfred Molon

Hi,
The S.L.R. with the Russian language nameplate looks like the Carl Zeiss Jena(East Germany then) Contax S, the world's first S.L.R. with a prism.

Mort Linder
Old October 7th 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
micky wrote:

In rec.photo.digital, on Sat, 07 Oct 2017 20:25:01 +0200, android
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 7, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In . com,
Alfred Molon wrote:

[...]

The Soviets made some interesting stuff in the fine culture segment:
Like Sjostakovitsj,Prokofiev,Solzhenitsyn and Tarkowski to mention a few
of the best known. some stayed and some deflected. Tarkowskis last
movie, "The Sacrifice" was shoot as a French production on Gotland, a
Swedish island in the Baltic close to the then USSR and now free Baltic
states.

That was some 1500km of non fence to keep an eye on during the cold war.
A strong air force and readiness to put nearly half a million men under
arms with short notice did that job, and it did it well. Finland had a
next nothing defense due to a post war agreement with the Soviets since
they sided with the Germans against the USSR in a territorial conflict.

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 7th 17, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/7/2017 2:52 PM, wrote:
On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 3:42:35 PM UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandde.../jun/23/seven-
decades-of-soviet-photography-in-pictures

or

http://tinyurl.com/ycfjkwve
--
Alfred Molon

Hi,
The S.L.R. with the Russian language nameplate looks like the Carl Zeiss Jena(East Germany then) Contax S, the world's first S.L.R. with a prism.

Mort Linder

I remember having an Exacta, with a pentaprism. The words "Carl Zeiss
Jena," were on the lens. IIRC it was an f2 Biotar. It was manufactured
by Ihagee, in Dresden, which was located in E.Germany. That was many
years ago so I compared Exacta images on E bay and Wikipedia, from what
I see in the image, is quite similar to the one on Wikipedia, but not to
the images on E-Bay. I don't recall the strobe output being on the upper
left front of my camera. There are other differences, but there were
also many different models.

--
PeterN
Old October 7th 17, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/7/2017 3:32 PM, android wrote:

snip

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...

Yep.
There was a book and movie called "Gorky Park," which was an adventure
tale of fur smuggling. There are a lot of things that were left out.
(One of the real life characters, in that story, is a former client.)

--
PeterN
Old October 8th 17, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/7/2017 3:32 PM, android wrote:

snip

The Soviets ain't no more but they were not cruder or less sophisticated
than other dictatorships like those in the Americas or Far East. Some of
their legacy is very very interesting...

Yep.
There was a book and movie called "Gorky Park," which was an adventure
tale of fur smuggling. There are a lot of things that were left out.
(One of the real life characters, in that story, is a former client.)

Strange that there were any real life characters written about in “Gorky
Park”, other than Stalin, as it was a work of fiction by Martin Cruz Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cruz_Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Park_(novel)

Savageduck

Soviet Britain, if you are just a civilian Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 2 February 14th 10 08:34 PM
In Soviet Russia... slunky Photographing Nature 1 August 7th 09 05:52 AM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola 35mm Photo Equipment 1 November 10th 06 02:26 PM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola General Photography Techniques 0 November 10th 06 08:34 AM
Old soviet cameras review Mikola Digital Photography 0 November 10th 06 08:26 AM