Stupid computer reviews

Old September 17th 17, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Stupid computer reviews

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.
Old September 17th 17, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 9/16/2017 8:16 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

Also amazing that there seem to be no credible citations for that statement.
--
==
Later....
Old September 17th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/16/2017 08:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 16, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 15:55:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , android
wrote:

Bill Gates:

"No one will ever need more than 637Kb of memory for a personal
computer."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1559...ions.html?page
=2
"Two years from now, spam will be solved."
Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, 2004

and this bit of amazing stupidity:
"Almost all of the many predictions now being made about 1996 hinge
on the Internet's continuing exponential growth. But I predict the
Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996
catastrophically collapse."
Robert Metcalfe, founder of 3Com, 1995

and from page 1 of that link,
https://www.pcworld.com/article/155984/worst_tech_predictions.html
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after
the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a
plywood box every night."
Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

I have never seen so many indians in all my life.
George A. Custer, 1876.

You, and your damn theater tickets.
Abraham Lincoln to Mary Todd Lincoln, 1865.

"'Take the convertible' you said. 'It's a nice day for a parade' you said"
JFK to John Connally.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 17th 17, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens
Old September 17th 17, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 17, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

They could compete with an abacus.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 17, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

We were slow in the north. Heard of stupid Swedes? The first Swedish
computer, G1 was called BARK and not operational until 1950, they say.
The G2 BESK was delayed way into 1953:

G2 BESK in operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFTU0zmNH3s

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESK

https://translate.google.com/transla...translate.goog
le.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESK

For Erich:

http://tinyurl.com/yalcnfka
--
teleportation kills

Old September 17th 17, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

I had an ISA memory expansion board designed for a 386 that I was able
to get working in the machine and expanded the memory to 16megs...that's
the maximum amount a 286 can address. I did it just for the sake of
doing it.

That said, would it have been possible to put 16 megs of memory in a 286
at the time it was built, probably only Bill Gates could have afforded
it!

it might have been possible, but it wasn't particularly useful because
of segmented memory, a problem inherent to x86 back then.

I was programming back then, and XMS was useful. Not very fast though. A
lot
faster than MFM hard drives, so better than "virtual memory".

it was still a royal pain in the ass and comparing it to vm is silly.

4k pages. Not that different.

virtual memory is completely different.

x86 didn't get a linear address space until much later.

I was an assembler programmer. Huge pointers were for girls. Real men used
segmentffset.

then it was even more of a pain in the ass.

Everything had its place and 64k segments were plenty big enough for most
stuff.

except for stuff that spanned 64k boundaries, like graphics or database
apps.

X86 never got a flat memory model. Actually, I suppose that .com programs were flat model
in their way :-)

yes it did.
Old September 17th 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-16 20:16, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

That's not stupidity, it's perception. What a "computer" was in 1943
was a handwired to task monster. Change programs? Start re-wiring for
a few days and de-bugging for many more.

IBM did not make Turing/Von Neumann machines at the time (nobody did)
and nobody at the business end of the stick had vision about what they
could do. It was all tabulation and automation - very specific to task
and IBM made oodles at it.

The few "computers" that existed in 1943 were hardwire programmed
(ENIAC for example) to do a specific thing (ballistics, or some such).
Re-programming (not reloading) was an arduous task taking many days.

The business of IBM was to support business. The method of it was not
important. Indeed that's IBM today. They are not a computer company.
They are a business information company. They never fell victim to the
buggy whip.
Old September 17th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-17 05:11, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

+1