Film vs Digiatal, lets put it to the test

Old September 3rd 17, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Film vs Digiatal, lets put it to the test

http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

"Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn’t have the
same look as film? Well, let’s put that argument to rest. I Have
pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
custom made for my camera specifically. So let’s dive a little
deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
subjective arguments to rest.

Plus much more including pictures ...

Eric Stevens
Old September 3rd 17, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

"Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn’t have the
same look as film? Well, let’s put that argument to rest. I Have
pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
custom made for my camera specifically. So let’s dive a little
deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
subjective arguments to rest.

Plus much more including pictures ...

You can emulate all that you want and I do that myself at times but it
ain't the same...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 3rd 17, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/03/2017 04:23 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

"Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn’t have the
same look as film? Well, let’s put that argument to rest. I Have
pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
custom made for my camera specifically. So let’s dive a little
deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
subjective arguments to rest.

Plus much more including pictures ...

Although I recently took a few of my film cameras out of retirement just
for the experience of shooting a few rolls...

About ten years ago I performed a test.

I went on a photo shoot on an ideal light day and took my medium format
Mamiya-Sekor C220 and my Canon Rebel EOS.

Even though I have now replaced the Rebel with a better camera, it beat
the medium format.

I have an approx 23" x 36" print in my office taken with the Canon that
is just plain stunningly sharp.
Old September 3rd 17, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , philo
wrote:

[...]

I think that there must be some imperfections in your digitizing
workflow...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 3rd 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-09-03 11:23, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

"Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn’t have the
same look as film? Well, let’s put that argument to rest. I Have
pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
custom made for my camera specifically. So let’s dive a little
deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
subjective arguments to rest.

Plus much more including pictures ...

I can not differentiate the samples there.

I don't know about professionals.

What I remember from film is that I always got dust specks that were
either in the film or in the copies. Also scratches. I think it was due
to the labs I had available, because I was very careful and my camera as
good as I could buy.

Then digital appeared, but good cameras with a good resolution were
terribly expensive, so film had some advantage for some years.

Nowdays, my digital photos are perfect in that regard. No more
scratches, no more dust speckles.

I'm not going back to film. Maybe for some specific usage.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old September 3rd 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/3/2017 5:23 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

"Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn’t have the
same look as film? Well, let’s put that argument to rest. I Have
pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
custom made for my camera specifically. So let’s dive a little
deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
subjective arguments to rest.

Plus much more including pictures ...

They are two different mediums, and those who can't tell the differences
between them would be unqualified as judges anyway. Why not just give it
a rest?

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 3rd 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Neil
wrote:

[---]

They are two different mediums, and those who can't tell the differences
between them would be unqualified as judges anyway. Why not just give it
a rest?

You just wanna kill this NG dead! :-ppp
--
teleportation kills
Old September 3rd 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| "Have you ever heard the argument that digital just doesn't have the
| same look as film? Well, let's put that argument to rest. I Have
| pain stickily made my own Lightroom preset that I believe is 96%
| the same as my favourite film Kodak Tri-X 400. Now, this preset is
| custom made for my camera specifically. So let's dive a little
| deeper into how I accomplished this preset and put all those
| subjective arguments to rest.
|
| Plus much more including pictures ...

I don't see any pattern in the samples. But
what does it matter. They're all reduced to
JPG for the Web. That's like saying, "My friend
painted these copies of a Rembrandt and a
DaVinci. Who would you say was the better
painter of those two?"

Or as Laurie Anderson put it: Que es mas macho -
schoolbus or lightbulb?

Old September 3rd 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-03 05:23, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.abwatson.com/film-vs-digital-lets-put-test/

You can always make digital look like some kind of film to some degree
approaching 100% w/o ever getting there.

OTOH, once above some point approaching 100% there are few people (if
any) in the world able to tell the difference.

I would assume that some even do particular modeling using differing
patterns, colours and light to generate models or LUT's to do so.

--
"Natural stupidity can wreak far more havoc
than artificial intelligence..."
Old September 3rd 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

You can emulate all that you want and I do that myself at times but it
ain't the same...

then your emulation is not that good.