On1 update, graphics cards, Win 10...

Old September 2nd 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default On1 update, graphics cards, Win 10...

In article , android
wrote:

Anyway, On1 sucks, LR sucks, PS sucks, Nvidia sucks, PC's suck,
technology sucks. I'm starting to understand Ted Kaczyinski.

just windows. everything else works great

Do you suggest that he should run his apps on Linux with Wine?

no
Old September 2nd 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

This started because I was comparing the performance of LR on my PC to
what I saw in tutorials, specifically Kost's. There was zero latency
on hers, but hers is a Mac. I now have to assume that the problem lies
there. Also, Duck has no issue with On1's speed, and he uses a Mac.

So Apple sucks, too, for causing me all these problems. I am now
googling for hoodies, and then bomb-making lessons...

...but first you have to type your 400 page manifesto on a 70 year old
Remington,

get a usb typewriter:
https://www.usbtypewriter.com/collections/typewriters

or convert your own:
https://www.usbtypewriter.com/products/easy-conversion-kit

and find somebody to publish it.

use ibooks author to write it, then self-publish it to the apple store.

no problem at all.
Old September 2nd 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 2, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

This started because I was comparing the performance of LR on my PC to
what I saw in tutorials, specifically Kost's. There was zero latency
on hers, but hers is a Mac. I now have to assume that the problem lies
there. Also, Duck has no issue with On1's speed, and he uses a Mac.

So Apple sucks, too, for causing me all these problems. I am now
googling for hoodies, and then bomb-making lessons...

...but first you have to type your 400 page manifesto on a 70 year old
Remington,

get a usb typewriter:
https://www.usbtypewriter.com/collections/typewriters

or convert your own:
https://www.usbtypewriter.com/products/easy-conversion-kit

and find somebody to publish it.

use ibooks author to write it, then self-publish it to the apple store.

no problem at all.

The TK idea is to condemn, and avoid modern technology, not embrace it by
finding ways to camoflage it behind old stuff.
Consider that you will be off the grid, with no supplemental power, no phone,
cell, or landline, no satellite, no cable, no TV, no internet.

Now timers and detonators for your TK style bombs would be something
different.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

already tried.

originality will take 'em by surprise.

Consider that you will be off the grid, with no supplemental power, no phone,
cell, or landline, no satellite, no cable, no TV, no internet.

solar charger, usb batteries.

Now timers and detonators for your TK style bombs would be something
different.

yep
Old September 3rd 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 2, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 12:47:37 -0700, Bill
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 14:42:26 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

I finally went to get a new graphics card. I carefully selected the
Nvidia GT 1030 by determining that it was the *only* card on the shelf
at Best Buy. It's a 2 GB card.

The crashing problem I had with On1 is now cured. Unfortunately,
nothing else is. It is still very slow - 3-5 seconds to move from one
photo to the next in filmstrip. To be fair, the latency I have with
both LR & PS is barely improved, too. So this could be a warning
before you buy a new card - it won't necessarily help. Admittedly, I
am seriously impatient, so any latency at all drives me up the wall.
What I see could be what everyone else with a PC sees.

To make things so much worse, even though this is probably unusual, my
PC once again had it's boot files wiped out when I installed the card,
just like what happened with that Win 10 update a few months ago, and
I spent several hours with what should have been a 5 minute card
install. It appears that "secure boot", which is enabled in most
Windows PC's these days, might be the issue. I disabled it, so we'll
see.

Anyway, On1 sucks, LR sucks, PS sucks, Nvidia sucks, PC's suck,
technology sucks. I'm starting to understand Ted Kaczyinski.

just windows. everything else works great

This started because I was comparing the performance of LR on my PC to
what I saw in tutorials, specifically Kost's. There was zero latency
on hers, but hers is a Mac. I now have to assume that the problem lies
there. Also, Duck has no issue with On1's speed, and he uses a Mac.

So Apple sucks, too, for causing me all these problems. I am now
googling for hoodies, and then bomb-making lessons...

I have an older version of On1 (V 8) and don't notice any slowness,
and I'm using Windows 10. I don't use On1 much, though.

The older versions of the onOne Perfect Suite, especially one as old as v8,
or even the individual applications are nothing like On1 Photo RAW 2017.
On1 Photo 10 gave a hint of what was to come, but even that was just an
update of Perfect Suite V8, and V9.

On1 Photo RAW 2017 is a different animal intended as an asset management
tool, RAW converter/editor, which includes some of the features of the old
Effects, Enhance, Portrait, and Resize (Genuine Fractals) modules. The
movement from module to module (Browse, Develop, Effects, Layers, Resize) is
very fast, as is the opening of files, where it leaves LR in the dust. While
it still installs as a Lightroom/Photoshop plugin, it does an outstanding job
as a standalone applictation, and is a viable Lightroom replacement. As a
Lightroom plugin it gives you another non-destructive, layered
editing/adjustment tool.

While both of us are pretty much entrenched with an LR CC/PS CC workflow this
is another of the freshly developed pieces of photo editing software such as
Exposure X2, Luminar, Pictorial, and Affinity Photo which are close on the
heels of Adobe, and in some areas actually better. Personally, I like to
explore my options, and add to my digital darkroom kit.

It is worth taking a look at what they are actually doing now, not what they
did 4, or 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago.
Take a closer look at what they are promoting and take a look at a video or
two which can explain things far better than I ever could.
https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/

The only problem I have with LR is how slow the uploading process is.
When I have 100 or more photos from a baseball or football game,
uploading, converting to .dng, and generating Smart Previews takes
forever. No delays in editing.

Took 135 frames today at a grandson's football game. (Missed his
recovery of the other team's fumble, dammit) I don't usually upload a
lot of images, but I shoot continuous at games and that adds to the
count.

Savageduck

Old September 3rd 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 17:01:22 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

The movement from module to module (Browse, Develop, Effects, Layers, Resize) is
very fast, as is the opening of files, where it leaves LR in the dust.

That is definitely not my experience in Win 10. When moving to the
next photo in filmstrip, it can take 3-5 seconds to open it. LR is at
most one second.

I plan to get back with On1 about this. Nospam had mentioned that they
used a well known development environment that can be troublesome in
some areas, in some applications. There is still an issue, so maybe
they can get it fixed. When I asked about video cards, Ryan told me
that any card that makes gamers happy should work fine, and he did not
mean high end cards at all. My card has good enough reviews, so it
should not be a problem. And I'm using an overclocked, recent i7 with
32 GB memory, along with a solid mobo. I even went through every last
setting in the bios, and can find nothing wrong.

I agree that On1 is nice software, and I'm not slamming it. The log
reads very differently now with the new card, so I expected it to work
much better. I'm just impatient, and disappointed.

As a replacement for LR, there are probably other things we'll both
see, but LR's spot removal equivalent in On1 is more like PS's spot
healing brush, and therefore, comparatively limited. You cannot pick a
source area for replacement, and I haven't found another tool for
that. And the skin shine removal tool seems to do almost nothing. And
I still think there is too much menu diving needed for many tasks.

But again, Windows vs Macos. I think that's the difference in user
experience right now.
Old September 3rd 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

The movement from module to module (Browse, Develop, Effects, Layers,
Resize) is
very fast, as is the opening of files, where it leaves LR in the dust.

That is definitely not my experience in Win 10. When moving to the
next photo in filmstrip, it can take 3-5 seconds to open it. LR is at
most one second.

I plan to get back with On1 about this. Nospam had mentioned that they
used a well known development environment that can be troublesome in
some areas, in some applications.

they all can be troublesome and bring numerous compromises. it may save
the developer time and money (up until there's a showstopper bug) but
it results in a lower quality product for the user.
Old September 3rd 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

The movement from module to module (Browse, Develop, Effects, Layers,
Resize) is
very fast, as is the opening of files, where it leaves LR in the dust.

That is definitely not my experience in Win 10. When moving to the
next photo in filmstrip, it can take 3-5 seconds to open it. LR is at
most one second.

I really don’t know how much help I can be for you, and your Win machine,
as mine is an all Mac experience.
....and that is with a 7 year old iMac with 16GB RAM.

I plan to get back with On1 about this.

At this stage that is probably the wisest move. With the configuration of
your PC, you should be seeing much better performance with On1 PR 2017. They
need to give you some answers.

Nospam had mentioned that they
used a well known development environment that can be troublesome in
some areas, in some applications. There is still an issue, so maybe
they can get it fixed. When I asked about video cards, Ryan told me
that any card that makes gamers happy should work fine, and he did not
mean high end cards at all. My card has good enough reviews, so it
should not be a problem. And I'm using an overclocked, recent i7 with
32 GB memory, along with a solid mobo. I even went through every last
setting in the bios, and can find nothing wrong.

You have a beefier than my iMac.

I agree that On1 is nice software, and I'm not slamming it. The log
reads very differently now with the new card, so I expected it to work
much better. I'm just impatient, and disappointed.

You should be, it is not meeting its promise, or potential.

As a replacement for LR, there are probably other things we'll both
see, but LR's spot removal equivalent in On1 is more like PS's spot
healing brush, and therefore, comparatively limited. You cannot pick a
source area for replacement, and I haven't found another tool for
that. And the skin shine removal tool seems to do almost nothing. And
I still think there is too much menu diving needed for many tasks.

The implementations are different, but the tool for selecting a source (the
Clone tool) is there. Just bear in mind that LR uses either a healing
overlay, or clone from a target source. Each has a place, and they should be
used appropriately.

In the On1 PR Develop module you have tools which do the same job in the Fix
panel on the left. There you will find an Erase tool, a Healing tool (the
bandaid icon), and a Clone tool (the stamp icon). Only the Clone tool
requires selecting a source target in the same way as with LR. There is no
"menu diving" at all.

My issue is I have a well developed LR/PS workflow habit, and for me most of
the software such as On1 PR, Exposure X2, and Luminar serve to supplement
LR/PS. Each, including LR/PS have some things they do better than the other,
and some things which are difficult to do without one of the secondary
applications.

But again, Windows vs Macos. I think that's the difference in user
experience right now.

That might be true, but there seem to be Windows users who are not having the
same experience as you.

Savageduck

Old September 3rd 17, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 19:51:35 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

They might not be as stupidly impatient as I am. In normal use, most
people would not notice what I'm complaining about, and might not
complain if they did notice it. At the same time, Ryan told me that
moving to the next photo happens pretty much instantly on his PC.

I'll get back to this next week.
Old September 3rd 17, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

there seem to be Windows users who are not having the
same experience as you.

Okay, now I can add one more thing: If I'm in the browse module with
the filmstrip open, and then use the arrow keys to move through the
photos, it is instant. In the develop module, it is very slow as I
said, but I noticed that it is also updating the adjustments panel for
each photo. So this part is not a video issue at all. I think the
crashing was, but that's fixed anyway.

As annoying as all this is, some good came out of it. While I had that
PC dragged out and open, I finally fixed some dead USB ports. I also
got everything in the bios set, and overclocked it. And then I
calibrated the display for the new card, and finally found some
missing adjustments that I couldn't locate before. So now that display
should be exactly right, and maybe for the first time ever. And I
believe the boot issues are finally fixed.

Silver lining, right?

One last thing - can you try what I mentioned above? Arrow keying
through the filmstrip in both the browse and develop modules to
compare the speed?