Ping Duck

Old August 31st 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Ping Duck

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 03:28:54 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 08:40:15 UTC+1, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:16:52 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/31/2017 12:18 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:42:03 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 8/30/2017 11:59 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 30, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

I may go to watch and photograph stock car races. Any tips, besides
trying to get a pit pass?

For stock car races I am not too sure of how interesting a pit, or paddock
pass would actually be. That said you might consider a three lens set up.
Something wide enough to give you room for shooting cars in pit and/or
paddock, or for track background. Then you should consider a walk-around
zoom, along with something longer.

For cars in motion, pan if you can. Keep ISO between 200-800, or use Auto ISO
with a 200 base and max of 1600, and minimum shutter speed of 1/100-1/200.
Use aperture priority, and if the light is good work in the f/4-f/11 range.
If this is under lights at night, take a few test shots, and perhaps have the
Auto ISO range set at 200-6400. You D500 should be able to deal with that.

Use AF-C depending on your track-side position, and the relative direction of
travel of the cars, which might be coming toward you, or moving across your
field of vision. You don’t always have to pan, but you will need to if you
want to capture the motion blur of the background relative to the car. To get
that well you should not have shutter speed too fast, otherwise you will have
frozen action, static wheels, etc.. Something in the orde3r of 1/125-1/500
should be fine. If you want to freeze the action then go for 1/1200-1/4000.

Thanks. I am not really interested in shooting overall shots. I was
thinking my 70-200, on the D500 would be ideal, though I may stick my
12-24 in my pocket, in case a good WA situation comes about.

These are some shots of drag races:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkdpA7V

Nice group of captures.
Are the young blonds wearing dresses in drag? If so do they race? ;-)
I figure you are a lot younger than me. A high percentage of your images
seem to be of attractive young woman. At my age, I might have
concentrated on the racing images.

I'm not young by any stretch. And those are not "photos of young
women". How dare you? That's street photography, and they just
happened to be on the street.

yes you seem to be attracted to 'street women' it seems ;-)

Well, my camera is...
Old August 31st 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/31/2017 2:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 30, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 30, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 8/31/2017 12:26 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 30, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

That should be more than adequate.

Thanks. This track gets quite crowded. With horse racing, I have been
able to position myself for the chance to get decent images. I have
never shot stock car before. I don't have a clue about pre-positioning,
which is why I asked about the pit area..

For me stock cars are of limited interest, and for me a stock car pit area,
though it might have some occasional drama, isn’t worth the price of entry.
However, access to an F1, IndyCar, or LMGT pit would be highly desirable, but
to get in there during a race or qualifying is going to take a press pass.
Access to the paddock area is easier.

An event such as the Monterey Motorsport Revival at Laguna Seca, where you
will find some great classic racers in the paddock and on the track are
wonderful photo op events. I believe that at circuits you can reach such as
Watkins Glen, and Lime Rock they stage similar events.
Lime Rock is about to have its Historics this weekend.
http://limerock.com
http://limerock.com/memorial-day-weekend

Oops!! Wrong weekend. :-(

Try Labor Day.
http://limerock.com/labor-day-historics
http://limerockhistorics.com

...and Watkins Glen is set for their Vintage Gran Prix September 8-10
http://www.theglen.com/?homepage=true

During a race, if you can find positions at the entrance, or exit of corners,
or along the home straight opposite the pits, you should be set for some
great shots.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6jvajhsa6fq9jp/_DNC5005-Edit.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12tbbuqnrt97zsw/_DNC4615-Edit.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5dmnpvxg20i05m/_DNC3889.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9mganvz46g6tb2/DNC4352.jpg

Thanks for the idea. I had not thought about Lime Rock, whic is about a
2.5 hour drive.
The stock track is under an hour. Watkins Glen is an overnight trip,
that my wife prefers not to do, but I may sneak it in as a fall foliage
trip later in September.

--
PeterN
Old August 31st 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Ya want street?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mdf6gicnpwrcxvd/AACuGgXj0b4JEEoVq2RUwlV6a?dl=0

They might help with shutter speed/blurring, that sort of thing.
Duck's advice matches my experience.

Thanks.

--
PeterN
Old August 31st 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Are the young blonds wearing dresses in drag?Â* If so do they race? ;-)
I figure you are a lot younger than me. A high percentage of your images
seem to be of attractive young woman. At my age, I might have
concentrated on the racing images.

I'm not young by any stretch. And those are not "photos of young
women". How dare you? That's street photography, and they just
happened to be on the street.

Ya want street?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mdf6gicnpwrcxvd/AACuGgXj0b4JEEoVq2RUwlV6a?dl=0

Sorry
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afupvvfvl3...C3626.jpg?dl=0

Old August 31st 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

I see we have the same problem - rude, self absorbed, and
coincidentally attractive women who keep walking into our shots. It's
crazy.
Old August 31st 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

This woman just happened to be there!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/40mjrite0ezke24/_DSC3627.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old September 2nd 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PeterN newso6iif17b8
@news3.newsguy.com Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:37:02 GMT in rec.photo.digital,
wrote:

I may go to watch and photograph stock car races. Any tips, besides
trying to get a pit pass?

I've been doing electrical work on an official Nascar track that's semi
local to me. I've taken a few pics of it and will be sharing them once
I have the time to strip exif data and edit out anything that a stalker
could use. I haven't been able to attend an actual race yet, but, I've
learned a bit about the score board it uses. I succesfully repaired the
control board that runs it Wednesday afternoon.

http://picpaste.com/B4rjEFK0.jpg - David and Trisha
http://picpaste.com/U5np7XvN.jpg - RIAA love David style
http://picpaste.com/rjIb8Mht.jpg - David And Trisha introducing Nick!
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip - The *STALKING* begins.

'The fog comes on little cat feet . . .' --Carl Sandburg (Obviously,
Mr. Sandburg never heard a cat walk across a linoleum floor.)