[OT] Does anyone have any views on MacKeeper

Old August 31st 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default [OT] Does anyone have any views on MacKeeper

In article , David B.
wrote:

MacKeeper is still heavily advertised.

it's malware. do not use.

Is it classified as malware by Malwarebytes and removed accordingly?

it doesn't matter what malwarebytes thinks. do not use it.

This is NOT a troll thread. It is a serious question.

wrong newsgroup
Old August 31st 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you think there any cause for concern?

what part of do not use it is not clear?
Old August 31st 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 8/31/2017 4:10 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

MacKeeper is still heavily advertised.

it's malware. do not use.

Is it classified as malware by Malwarebytes and removed accordingly?

it doesn't matter what malwarebytes thinks. do not use it.

It's OK that you don't know the answer!

I'm NOT using it ...... but I DID use it some years ago.

This is NOT a troll thread. It is a serious question.

wrong newsgroup

Which Usenet group(s) do you suggest for general discussion about iMacs?

--
David B.
Old August 31st 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

MacKeeper is still heavily advertised.

it's malware. do not use.

Is it classified as malware by Malwarebytes and removed accordingly?

it doesn't matter what malwarebytes thinks. do not use it.

It's OK that you don't know the answer!

the answer does not matter whatsoever. malwarebytes is not the final
arbiter of what is ok and what is not.

mackeeper is *bad*. stay the **** away from it.

I'm NOT using it ...... but I DID use it some years ago.

then you need to be sure you got rid of *all* of it.
Old August 31st 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 31/08/2017 15:25, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 31 August 2017 14:46:42 UTC+1, David B. wrote:
On 31/08/2017 14:15, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

I can only HOPE that I removed it in its entirety from my iMac. Can you
suggest any check I could make just to be sure?

Sorry, my technicians actually did the work. The uninstall feature of
the program is far from complete, so we had a checklist of resources to
be manually removed, many of them in places normally hidden from the
user. You should be able to find instructions online, the program is
pretty notorious.

Thank you. The current MacKeeper is "under new management" and I
wondered if the facility was now much improved.

This morning I started my iMac is 'safe mode' and the used First Aid in
the Disk Utility to check the basic hard drive.

I got this result:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqrxbsep2p...de.ti ff?dl=0

Do you think there any cause for concern?

Well as indicated it might prevent booting, if yuo can start from another drive a DVD boot disc or you might have another boot partition on your drive.

Restart and hold down the option key (the one between ctrl and cmd keys) this will search for bootable drives and it mught find another partition on yuor main drive to boot from, then you can do disk aid again and maybe it will fix the problem. If not yuo might need to buy a program called disk warrior, last time I got applecare it came with disk warrior.
Although sometimes you might need to have a spare formated HD so it can copy all files off the drive before it attempts to fix partition information as doing so could delete all files on the drive.
Although when I repartitioned a drive recently the data wasn't destroyed but I didn't risk it so had copied it to another drive anyway.

I did as you suggested, Dave and this is what I saw:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xydln2qwhb...02017.jpg?dl=0

Image taken with my iPhone!

I'm not sure what the 'Recovery' drive 'does' - but I can guess! :-)

--
David B.
Old August 31st 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 31/08/2017 16:10, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you think there any cause for concern?

what part of do not use it is not clear?

I am NOT using MacKeeper ..... but I DID use it some years ago.

HTH

--
David B.
Old August 31st 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you think there any cause for concern?

what part of do not use it is not clear?

I am NOT using MacKeeper ..... but I DID use it some years ago.

then why did you even ask about it? other than trolling, that is.
Old August 31st 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 31, 2017, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 8/31/2017 4:10 PM, nospam wrote:
In , David B.
wrote:

MacKeeper is still heavily advertised.

it's malware. do not use.

Is it classified as malware by Malwarebytes and removed accordingly?

it doesn't matter what malwarebytes thinks. do not use it.

It's OK that you don't know the answer!

I'm NOT using it ...... but I DID use it some years ago.

This is NOT a troll thread. It is a serious question.

wrong newsgroup

Which Usenet group(s) do you suggest for general discussion about iMacs?

comp.sys.mac.system
comp.sys.mac.apps
comp.sys.mac.misc

....and then there are these which might give you some answers:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2861435/software.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/2861868/os-x/article.html
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-completely-remove-MacKeeper-from-my-Macbook

Savageduck

Old August 31st 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 31/08/2017 16:58, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you think there any cause for concern?

what part of do not use it is not clear?

I am NOT using MacKeeper ..... but I DID use it some years ago.

then why did you even ask about it? other than trolling, that is.

It is being heavily promoted on Facebook at the moment and their web
site /looks/ 'professional' nowadays.
Old August 31st 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 31/08/2017 17:03, Savageduck wrote:
[....]
Which Usenet group(s) do you suggest for general discussion about iMacs?

comp.sys.mac.system
comp.sys.mac.apps
comp.sys.mac.misc

...and then there are these which might give you some answers:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2861435/software.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/2861868/os-x/article.html
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-completely-remove-MacKeeper-from-my-Macbook

Thank you so much for this information, Savageduck.

Much appreciated. :-)

--
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” (Winston S.