Is there a single photo-editing task you do often that Windows freeware just can't do?

Old August 28th 17, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Blake Snyder

Default Is there a single photo-editing task you do often that Windows freeware just can't do?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:12:06 -0400, in news PeterN wrote:

Perhaps one day I will learn focus stacking. I like the effects. There
are some obstacles for me.
1. I don't have the patience.
2. My BW does not want bugs brought into the house.
3. I am not certain I have the interest in super macro.

Try this.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly.jpg
From here.
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.p...topic&nojs= 1

Since the cost of freeware is learning how to use it and finding the best,
I just ran this test using the 8MB www.picolay.de Picolay focus-stacking
freeware, which you can run yourself in just a few minutes.

1. Pick up a set of images to focus stack from anywhere.
If you like, use this set of six photos.
I cropped each using Irfanview and did not make any attempt to center
the separate images (just to see how that offset affects the focus-stack
results). Picolay can center them it seems, and crop them, but I just
wanted to run the very first single-button test below.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_1.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_2.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_3.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_4.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_5.jpg
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/08/28/ohmyafly_6.jpg
2. Start Picolay and load the six photos with File Add Images
3. Press F1 in Picolay to stack the images above using default parameters

Wait for Picolay to finish.
That's it for your very first test of focus-stacking freeware.

--
Tutorial http://www.picolay.icbm.de/tutorial_e.pdf
FAQ http://www.picolay.icbm.de/picolay_h...s_tricks_e.htm
Old August 28th 17, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Davoud

Davoud:
Anyway, regardless of platform, try focus-stacking 20 exposures to
produce a macro like this one
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/34885963754 with freeware. I
doubt it can be done. I used Photoshop CC 2017.

PeterN:
Perhaps one day I will learn focus stacking. I like the effects. There
are some obstacles for me.
1. I don't have the patience.
2. My BW does not want bugs brought into the house.

Your reasons are irrefutable.

I would say, however, that while it takes a few minutes to prepare the
camera and subject, focus-stacking is simple enough once the
preparations are made. The process has no steep learning curve. The
Novoflex Castel-Q Focusing Rack is quite easy to use, even without
automation. Turn the knob, click, turn the knob, click... I generally
make fewer exposures than the pros, but I still get decent results
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/14480135987. I have recently
replaced my Manfrotto ball head with a Manfrotto 405 Pro Digital Geared
head. So much easier to use https://www.adorama.com/bg405.html.

My wife has no problem with bugs in the kitchen. She even helped me
photograph a mouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/9068026793.
She also buys my toys for me.

She wasn't home when I brought the juvenile blacksnake in, and she was
livid when she saw the photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7749858040! Seems she has an
irrational fear/hatred of snakes.

3. I am not certain I have the interest in super macro.

Lack of interest is particularly irrefutable. Different strokes...

Sometimes super-macro isn't enough. For those times I have a microscope
with a camera port
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33274670196.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 28th 17, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 04:07:19 -0000 (UTC), Blake Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:55:27 -0400, in
, nospam wrote:

you're assuming that if something claims it can do focus stacking, it
is automatically just as good as the best professional tools.

ct free arguments are all you can do which just waste everyone's time.

I completely agree. But he's a troll. If you reply to a troll, you too
are wasting everyone's time.

Please, please, please, killfile him.

Old September 2nd 17, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

Ken Blake

, nospam wrote:

you're assuming that if something claims it can do focus
stacking, it is automatically just as good as the best
professional tools.

ct free arguments are all you can do which just waste everyone's
time.

I completely agree. But he's a troll. If you reply to a troll, you
too are wasting everyone's time.

Please, please, please, killfile him.

I was hesitant to go ahead and do so for a period of time. Entirely
hoping I'd learn something useful from the individual. It finally
occured to me that I was wasting my time and everyone elses reading
my replies to it. So, off to the filtering it went. Contrary to what
some may think, I'm not visiting this newsgroup to engage in petty
arguments.

http://picpaste.com/B4rjEFK0.jpg - David and Trisha
http://picpaste.com/U5np7XvN.jpg - RIAA love David style
http://picpaste.com/rjIb8Mht.jpg - David And Trisha introducing Nick!
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip - The *STALKING* begins.

Cats don't correct your stories.
Old September 2nd 17, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

, nospam wrote:

you're assuming that if something claims it can do focus
stacking, it is automatically just as good as the best
professional tools.

ct free arguments are all you can do which just waste everyone's
time.

I completely agree. But he's a troll. If you reply to a troll, you
too are wasting everyone's time.

Please, please, please, killfile him.

I was hesitant to go ahead and do so for a period of time. Entirely
hoping I'd learn something useful from the individual. It finally
occured to me that I was wasting my time and everyone elses reading
my replies to it. So, off to the filtering it went. Contrary to what
some may think,

I'm not visiting this newsgroup to engage in petty
arguments.

Oh please, spare us. You're gonna burn in hell for your trolling. You
can't hack your way through the pearly gates sonny although you could
try bribery.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896