Trying a new post-processing combination

Old August 24th 17, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Trying a new post-processing combination

Shot a waterfall in TN the day before the Eclipse; while I've been
experimenting for awhile with HDR, I've never really liked the 'fake'
way that they typically come out.

Tried a different combination on this one; for comments on the general treatment.

http://huntzinger.com/gallery/index.php/water/Grotto_Falls_2017-HDR-apply_image75crop900x600

I'll have to go back and more clearly document the post- steps for future
reproducibility, but the basics was that after doing the HDR, I then used
Photoshops "Apply Image" tool to take a copy and multiply it against itself.

Overall, I'm wondering if this combination is functionally working against itself?

Nevertheless, I did like how this approach improved contrast while retaining
some of the better parts of HDR (sky isn't blown out).

FWIW, I'm good with the huge area of shadow to the left - - while a classical
HDR treatment could have gone in to lighten this up under this cliff overhang,
that's where I find HDR can go too far.

Finally, on composition, I've not yet decided on just how to finish it. I may
leave it in landscape while pulling it in a little (remove distractions), or I may
shift to portrait.

-hh
Old August 24th 17, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 24/08/2017 8:33 @wiz, -hh wrote:

Finally, on composition, I've not yet decided on just how to finish it. I may
leave it in landscape while pulling it in a little (remove distractions), or I may
shift to portrait.

I've now decided that stitching can be done in the vertical as well as
horizontal:
https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74167537
(hope that can show to outsiders...)
Old August 24th 17, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 24/08/2017 11:44, Noons wrote:
On 24/08/2017 8:33 @wiz, -hh wrote:

Finally, on composition, I've not yet decided on just how to finish
it.Â* I may
leave it in landscape while pulling it in a little (remove
distractions), or I may
shift to portrait.

I've now decided that stitching can be done in the vertical as well as
horizontal:
https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74167537
(hope that can show to outsiders...)

Nice photograph! :-)

Here's one for you:- https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74663556

--
David B.
Old August 24th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 24, 2017, hh wrote
(in ):

http://huntzinger.com/gallery/index....-HDR-apply_ima
[...]

Nice work. However, since the major “look” to your image is what looks to
be a long exposure smoothing effect to the waterfall, I have to ask if you
considered one of the non-HDR multiple exposure, exposure stacking/blending
techniques. Then there is also using a 6-10ND filter and a long exposure.

There is an exposure blending method which can emulate the long exposure
effect with no HDR tone-mapping.

https://digital-photography-school.c...blending-high-
contast-landscapes/
https://digital-photography-school.c...long-exposure-
with-photo-stacking/
https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/...rial-in-adobe-
photoshop/
https://expertphotography.com/daytime-long-exposure-photo-stacking/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhtqGLglww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqqI32Aw1J0

Savageduck

Old August 24th 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 24, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 24, 2017, hh wrote
(in ):

http://huntzinger.com/gallery/index....17-HDR-apply_i
[...]

That is if this is the sort of thing you might be after.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02hrr4h615h49j/DSF4627.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 25th 17, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 24/08/2017 10:44 @wiz, David B. wrote:

I've now decided that stitching can be done in the vertical as well as
horizontal:
https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74167537
(hope that can show to outsiders...)

Nice photograph! :-)

Thanks!

Here's one for you:-Â* https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74663556

With an ipad? Amazing!

Old August 25th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/24/2017 6:44 AM, Noons wrote:
On 24/08/2017 8:33 @wiz, -hh wrote:

Finally, on composition, I've not yet decided on just how to finish
it.Â* I may
leave it in landscape while pulling it in a little (remove
distractions), or I may
shift to portrait.

I've now decided that stitching can be done in the vertical as well as
horizontal:
https://www.viewbug.com/photo/74167537
(hope that can show to outsiders...)

Now play with a horizontal pan, holding the camera vertically.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5e5p0n5hq9z29m/seattle%20skyline1.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old August 26th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9:40:20 AM UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 24, 2017, hh wrote
(in ):

[...]

I had an ND6 for some of the shots and then added an ND2 on top of that.
Depending on which shots I put into the HDR stack, it could have been with one
or with both. Overall, my concern on shots like this is the overexposure of the
sky background behind the waterfall. I'll probably do a more 'plain' processing
sometime within the next week.

There is an exposure blending method which can emulate the long exposure
effect with no HDR tone-mapping.

https://digital-photography-school.c...blending-high-
contast-landscapes/
https://digital-photography-school.c...long-exposure-
with-photo-stacking/
https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/...rial-in-adobe-
photoshop/
https://expertphotography.com/daytime-long-exposure-photo-stacking/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhtqGLglww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqqI32Aw1J0

One more thing for the 'to do' research list!

-hh