A Couple of Eclipse Photos

Old August 25th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default A Couple of Eclipse Photos

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Davoud:

Davoud:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval

Sandman:

Sandman:
Really nice, especially the timelapse image.

But why not telescope photo of the totality?

First, thanks to everyone here for your kind remarks.

Sad story on totality. About two minutes before totality my
telescope drive began behaving erratically. Overheated? Loose wire?
Who knows. I sorted it out with about 45 seconds of totality
remaining. By the time I got the filter off and reacquired the Sun
and refocused it was too late to get the photos that I wanted; I
judge them not good enough to share. That was a major
disappointment. Meanwhile, my imaging partner (RAF officer who flew
in from Qatar for the event!) was using my best portable GEM and he
got superb photos of the various totality phenomena with a Canon 7D
Mark II on a 100-400 Canon zoom with an EFL of 640mm. That's life.

This is really the biggest problem with photography, where you miss important
things. Not missing important photographs, but I imagine that you were
fiddling with your equipment during a very huge event and missed much of it
yourself due to it.

I've thought about this a lot, where I bring a camera to my daughters dancing
contest and photograph her while she's dancing. But in doing so, I rarely
ever "watch" her dancing without the distraction of keeping her in focus and
in view etc etc. While it's nice to have some photos from the event, or even
a movie of her dance, I still have that feeling that I keep missing it for
what it is.

Luckily, she's gotten so good that she progresses and have to dance several
times, at which point I can just watch her. Not that easy with a missed solar
eclipse totality though.

--
Sandman
Old August 25th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Didn't Randy Newman perform a pice called "Stupid People"?

--
teleportation kills
Old August 25th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/24/2017 2:02 AM, Davoud wrote:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

I like the one just prior to totality, best.
The multiple exposure comes in second.

--
PeterN
Old August 25th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/24/2017 12:17 PM, Davoud wrote:
[...]

To paraphrase M-M, experiencing the totality is the important part.
--
PeterN
Old August 25th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/25/2017 11:45 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 8/24/2017 2:02 AM, Davoud wrote:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

I like the one just prior to totality, best.
The multiple exposure comes in second.

oops. I meant time lapse.

--
PeterN
Old August 25th 17, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Davoud wrote:

android posted a third-party link to one of my Flickr photos.

I wrote::
BTW, I prefer that people link to my Flickr photos directly. Whether
it's
kudos or blame, I prefer people know that the photo they are looking
at
is mine. And they also get my caption, the "how and why" of the
photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/35435062805

I did not post a third party link. I posted a Flickr link embedded in
the HTML of Ds page, just to show how vulnerable these sites are for
scraping. Here it is again:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/35435062805_ed9d80d57f_h.jpg

android posted a response that was both rude and clueless.
Your preference noted but I deliberately took the opportunity to
show...

Not rude but correct...

I said:
Sorry, this is about courtesy, not legality.

Yada yada snipped...

Android got lame again:
No it's not. The reasons are to be read above.

And so they were and are...

The fact is, this is analogous to tearing the cover photo from my book (which
you've already said you enjoyed) and showing it to someone, but not letting
them see the title or the book and not telling them where they can find it.

And that's legal. Ain't that amazing. And you are one of the best placed
persons in the GP to change that!

Words are also important and I try to put meaningful explanations in my
captions. Suggest you blacklist my Flickr page.

Why? Some mean person, I'm the kind kind snaps the url of some of your
pictures and puts a deceptive captions on their website then that's what
people think that the picture portrays and mean. Now you know that
that's both easy and doable. Thanks to me... Prego!
--
teleportation kills
Old August 25th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 8/25/2017 8:16 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 25 August 2017 12:29:33 UTC+1, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 25 August 2017 10:12:20 UTC+1, android wrote:
Whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 24 August 2017 23:01:29 UTC+1, android wrote:
In article ,
Davoud wrote:

Davoud:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

Android:
Great captures! Understatements is a sidebusiness of me... This
one
must
be a scoop!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/35435062805_ed9d80d57f_h.jpg

Davoud:
Thanks for your kind comment!

BTW, I prefer that people link to my Flickr photos directly.
Whether it's
kudos or blame, I prefer people know that the photo they are
looking at
is
mine. And they also get my caption, the "how and why" of the
photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/35435062805

Android:
Your preference noted but I deliberately took the opportunity to
show
how easy it is to download material from sites like Flickr. BTW:
Linking
material like this without the consent of the owner is perfectly
legal,
like it or not even to other websites!

Sorry, this is about courtesy, not legality.

No it's not. The reasons are to be read above.
--
teleportation kills

What are the reason(s) I couldn't see them above ?

You being stupid?

Can you show those reasons that are apparently above ?

Didn't Randy Newman perform a pice called "Stupid People"?
--
teleportation kills

No idea can't find a refernce too it but I had no idea who he was, there;s a refernce to short people.

Don't ask any more stupid questions when you already know the answers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhLpxmYCvU

Found this one but don't know if it's by Newman or a parody:
~~

SMART PEOPLE

Smart People got no reason
Smart People got no reason
Smart People got no reason
To live
They got great big foreheads
And ugly old clothes
They use great big words
That nobody knows
They're plottin' and schemin'
All of the time
Invented contact lenses
So you can't tell they're blind
Well I don't want no Smart People
Don't want no Smart People
Don't want no Smart People
'Round here
Smart People are just the same
As you and me
(Ave Marie)
All folks are equal
Eternally
(A Change Is Gonna Come)
Smart People got nobody
Smart People got nobody
Smart People got nobody
To love
They got tight little pussies
And scrawny little dicks
They got kinky little sex lives
That are sick sick sick
They laugh at you
But not at their self
'Cause they think they're better
Than everybody else
They got too much brain
And not enough soul
Someday we're gonna bury 'em
In a big stupid hole
Well. I don't want no Smart People
Don't want no Smart People
Don't want no Smart People
'Round here
~~
==
--
Later...
Ron C

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 25th 17, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.[_4_]

On 8/24/2017 10:17 AM, Davoud wrote:
[...]

Exactly why I decided not to photograph the eclipse. I wanted to just
take in the experience as it happened without being distracted with
futzing around with a camera. I knew that there would be thousands of
great pictures (like yours) all over the Internet later. I think my
decision was wise. It was an amazingly moving experience.

Russell

Old August 28th 17, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 24/08/2017 18:48, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

David B.
I've just started to explore David's work on my iMac - I'm in awe at the
amazing clarity of his images.

I also found this (rather sad) clip of his work -
https://vimeo.com/214936407

Your remarks are excessively kind.

Not at all. Your work is of an exemplary standard, David! :-D

It's easy to feel sad for the crane fly, but don't. The genus goes back more than 50 million years in the fossil record, so it's a resounding success. Hatch, pupate, emerge as adult. Sip a little nectar, mate, deposit ova, and die.

OK - thanks for the info. We get lots of them here too.

As for clarity, those remarkable Canon lenses help, but it's very much a matter of having solid camera supports and ample lighting. I use one or two radio-triggered Profoto studio flashes for most of my work in or near home, and up to three radio-triggered Canon 600EX-RT speedlites away from home. I even use the studio flashes for my macrophotographs of little arthropods and tiny flowers. Here's a macro still of the animal in the Vimeo video that you cited
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33906585690

Incredible detail - VERY impressive!

and here is the lighting setup for that macro
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33906590160.

I can see that you take photography seriously! ;-)

I also have a very capable partner in my wife, whom I refer to as "The
Photon Wrangler." She holds those heavy studio flashes without complaint
when there isn't time to bring out a light stand. Lightroom CC and
Photoshop CC are also important partners.

Wives can be a real blessing!

While I'm boring readers on the subject of clarity, here's one more that came out not too badly
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/34885963754.

I've seen that before - absolutely incredible detail. Thank you for
sharing the image so openly.

Finally, I would note that I have age-related macular degeneration in both eyes and I must take great care in focusing.

I'm saddened to learn that, David. I've read here to understand a little
more of what must be a terribly frustrating affliction for you.

https://nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen

I sometimes use in-camera WiFi or a CamRanger to send a live-view image
to a large iPad Pro for focusing assistance.

I'd be interested to learn more about HOW you do this.

Once again, thank you so very much for sharing the results of your
skillful ability with us. :-)

--
Kind regards,
David B.

eclipse bugbear Digital Photography 13 October 21st 10 10:41 PM
Don Ho and Dan Ho just a couple a ho's Greegor 35mm Photo Equipment 7 December 26th 07 05:41 PM
Last eclipse Steve Digital Photography 8 December 1st 04 08:58 PM
Eclipse rob 35mm Photo Equipment 21 November 1st 04 06:01 AM
FS: A couple of old catalogs Stephan Goldstein Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 September 6th 03 11:50 AM