iMac Pro - coming soon!

Old August 24th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default iMac Pro - coming soon!

On 2017-08-24 08:10, Whisky-dave wrote:

But I don't like the way they use the term pro for these things, I
might consider a 'pro' with 8 cores depending on price.

The iMac Pro will have up to 18 Xeon HT cores (36 threads) and 32 .. 128
GB of 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC RAM.

Pro 'nuff for ya?

Or 8 or 10 Xeon HT cores for the budget minded.

--
"Natural stupidity can wreak far more havoc
than artificial intelligence..."
Old August 25th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 24 Aug 2017 08:09:05 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 16:58:40 -0400, nospam

iMac Pro - coming soon!

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Looks good! :-)

They should remove the display and make a mini pro out of it...

Honest to God, I see so many posts by mac users who want a mid-range
headless Mac it's unreal that Apple totally ignores them.

what you see are a vocal minority.

historically, midrange computers (not just macs) do not sell as well as
low end (because they're cheap and good enough for email, facebook,
etc.) or high end (because the user needs a powerful system).

What about the 'headless' bit? Why is Apple giving this away for the
Pro?

Supposedly, they aren't. There will be a headless Mac Pro, only better
thought out than the current trashcan model (which I have and use)

A good example of industrial design and styling but I always wondered
about it's flexibilty when it comes to tailoring the specification. I
looked at buying one but found I could get what I wanted more cheaply
in the PC world. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 05:10:05 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 22:52:19 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 16:58:40 -0400, nospam

iMac Pro - coming soon!

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Looks good! :-)

They should remove the display and make a mini pro out of it...

Honest to God, I see so many posts by mac users who want a mid-range
headless Mac it's unreal that Apple totally ignores them.

what you see are a vocal minority.

historically, midrange computers (not just macs) do not sell as well as
low end (because they're cheap and good enough for email, facebook,
etc.) or high end (because the user needs a powerful system).

What about the 'headless' bit? Why is Apple giving this away for the
Pro?
--

Not many people use headless computers, most use servers for headless operation.
In photography terms it's like buying a camera body that won't be used with a lens.

No it's not. It's like buying a Canon which you intend to use with
Schneider lenses.

Many graphic professionals have strong ideas about what screens they
will work with e.g. Eizo or NEC.

Old August 25th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A good example of industrial design and styling but I always wondered
about it's flexibilty when it comes to tailoring the specification. I
looked at buying one but found I could get what I wanted more cheaply
in the PC world. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

it had not yet been announced when you looked for a computer and
there's no possible way you could have matched its specs for less
money.
Old August 25th 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:58:39 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A good example of industrial design and styling but I always wondered
about it's flexibilty when it comes to tailoring the specification. I
looked at buying one but found I could get what I wanted more cheaply
in the PC world. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

it had not yet been announced when you looked for a computer and
there's no possible way you could have matched its specs for less
money.

I'm talking about the existing coffee pot.

As far as matching specs is concerned: it never was a matter of
matching Apple's specs: it was a matteer of matching *my* specs. the
Mac mini fell short of what I wanted and parts of the Mac Pro started
above where I wanted. When I filled in the gaps the PC was
significantly cheaper.

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 17, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A good example of industrial design and styling but I always wondered
about it's flexibilty when it comes to tailoring the specification. I
looked at buying one but found I could get what I wanted more cheaply
in the PC world. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

it had not yet been announced when you looked for a computer and
there's no possible way you could have matched its specs for less
money.

I'm talking about the existing coffee pot.

the topic is the imac pro, not the mac pro.

As far as matching specs is concerned: it never was a matter of
matching Apple's specs: it was a matteer of matching *my* specs. the
Mac mini fell short of what I wanted and parts of the Mac Pro started
above where I wanted. When I filled in the gaps the PC was
significantly cheaper.

what you wanted had lower specs than the mac pro, which is why it was
cheaper, not because it was a pc.
Old August 25th 17, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-08-24 08:10, Whisky-dave wrote:

But I don't like the way they use the term pro for these things, I
might consider a 'pro' with 8 cores depending on price.

The iMac Pro will have up to 18 Xeon HT cores (36 threads) and 32 .. 128
GB of 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC RAM.

Pro 'nuff for ya?

nah.
For me Pro means more than just high spec.

Like a desperate attempt to boost sales among them out of the knows ?

Or 8 or 10 Xeon HT cores for the budget minded.

Didnlt know pros were budget minded.

If they wanna make a profit then they are...
--
360 ain't enough

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 25th 17, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:49:10 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Duh!

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 17, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

No it isn't the term headless refers to a computer that will be run for the majoroty of it;s existance will NOT have a monitor attached.

Who knows for much of its life will run with no monitor attached. All
you know is that it is being bought without a monitor.

Many graphic professionals have strong ideas about what screens they
will work with e.g. Eizo or NEC.

The they will not be using a headless computer will they.

I suppose you've used a headless computer for year doing yuor photography,
when did yuo last use your head ?

Eric Stevens
Old August 25th 17, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-08-24 08:10, Whisky-dave wrote:

But I don't like the way they use the term pro for these things, I
might consider a 'pro' with 8 cores depending on price.

The iMac Pro will have up to 18 Xeon HT cores (36 threads) and 32 .. 128
GB of 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC RAM.

Pro 'nuff for ya?

nah.
For me Pro means more than just high spec.

Like a desperate attempt to boost sales among them out of the knows ?

Well there's no pro phone whether apple or samsung, I don't know of any pro
cars the closeest I can think of are eithe rthe 'black cabs" in London or the
yellow ones in the USA.
Uber drivers aren't buying pro cars are they. I was at Tesco express behind a
guy telling the cashier that he drove a rolls royce but only as a chauffeur
he didn't say he drove a pro rolls royce.
Microsoft have been trying this idea for years selling differing versions of
the same OS and I don't think it has worked for them very well.

Or 8 or 10 Xeon HT cores for the budget minded.

Didnlt know pros were budget minded.

If they wanna make a profit then they are...

But that doesnlt mean they need the highest spec machine.

Who said that?

Most professional; drivers DO NOT own or drive high end pro cars like a F1
wghich comptete for money.

No, Kangoos bring food for way more drivers. Sometimes they are plumbers
too...
--
teleportation kills