Freeware to blur out and soften facial lines and blemishes

Old August 17th 17, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Bram van den Heuvel

Default Freeware to blur out and soften facial lines and blemishes

Given , slate_leeper
wrote:

I use PhotoWipe for this. Old but easy, free, and works well.

http://www.hanovsolutions.com/?prod=PhotoWipe

Thank you for the PhotoWipe suggestion!
This was the best software suggested that I tested so far!

PhotoWipe seems to work similarly to how VicMan photo editor worked in that
you drag an area over the blemish or wrinkle. Then the software removes the
blemish or wrinkle by an algorithm that makes it look as if the blemish or
wrinkle was just smooth skin.

But it's a lot harder to use than Vicman PhotoEditor was for blemish
removal.

In fact I first tried using the software on Bo Derek without reading the
instructions but then I realized the instructions are pretty good.
http://www.hanovsolutions.com/?prod=PhotoWipe#samples

PhotoWipe uses a modified version of the greycstoration image processing
library, which was created by David Tschumperlé and source code is
available here. http://www.hanovsolutions.com/inpainter.zip

Best to start with a well-cropped photo because the zoom is horrid.

My quick summary is that this PhotoWipe freeware is clumsy to get used to,
but it does work about as well as Vicman PhotoEditor did to remove wrinkles
& blemishes!

Here are my first test results.

Bo Derek Original File:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Skidmore.jpg

Bo Derek Starting file (same as above):
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...e_skidmore.jpg

Bo Derek Wrinkle Lines 1 drawn in PhotoWipe:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...nklelines1.jpg

Bo Derek After 1 attempt from above:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._skidmore2.jpg

Bo Derek Wrinkle Lines 2 in PhotoWipe:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...nklelines2.jpg

Bo Derek After 2 attempt above:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._skidmore3.jpg

Old August 17th 17, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Bram van den Heuvel

Given news wrote:

Thank you for the PhotoWipe suggestion!
This was the best software suggested that I tested so far!

By way of contrast, here's what Cartoonist did to a full figure of Bo Derek
in her younger days.
http://brasizemeasurements.com/bo-de...-measurements/

Bo Derek full-lengh body photo:
https://i0.wp.com/brasizemeasurement...k-Bra-Size.jpg

Bo Derek original (same as above):
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...k-bra-size.jpg

Cartoonist first passs (fatter):
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...size-copy1.jpg

Cartoonist second passs (thinner):
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...size-copy2.jpg
Old August 18th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Albert

On 8/17/17 3:05 AM, David B. wrote:
As an aside, do you use Malwarebytes on your Apple Mac?

I use it.
And -- for the first time in 30 years of using a Mac -- it
found some malware and removed it. I believe it was
something that got put there by a software installer from a
different vector (Wondershare? Not sure).

There is a new "version 3" of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for
Mac out.
Be aware that when you first install it, it appears to be
only a demo tryout for a "pay for" version. But it will
automatically "convert" to freeware after the 30-day trial
if you don't buy it.
Old August 18th 17, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 18/08/2017 04:22, John Albert wrote:
On 8/17/17 3:05 AM, David B. wrote:
As an aside, do you use Malwarebytes on your Apple Mac?

I use it.
And -- for the first time in 30 years of using a Mac -- it found some
malware and removed it. I believe it was something that got put there by
a software installer from a different vector (Wondershare? Not sure).

There is a new "version 3" of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac out.
Be aware that when you first install it, it appears to be only a demo
tryout for a "pay for" version. But it will automatically "convert" to
freeware after the 30-day trial if you don't buy it.

Thank you, John. :-)

Have you ever used a facility called EtreCheck?

Details he- https://etrecheck.com/

"Etresoft, Inc. is a Canadian software development and consulting
corporation in business since 2015. Etresoft's most popular product is
EtreCheck, a macOS diagnostic tool used by over half a million people
and frequently recommended on Apple Support Communities."

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
Old August 18th 17, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"John Albert" wrote

| There is a new "version 3" of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for
| Mac out.

Be very careful with that. I haven't used anything
like AV for many years on Windows, but I tried
MB at one point out of curiosity because it was
talked about so much on Windows groups. Before
allowing MB to do anything, the alleged problems
reported should be thoroughly researched so that
you understand the possible ramifications.

Maybe it found malware on your system. Maybe
it cooked up melodrama.

MB found 10 "problems" in my test run. Five were
harmless Registry mistakes that it called malware.
Four were settings I had chosen to reduce frivolous
popup warnings and prevent problems downloading
files. MB called those "potentially unwanted
modifications". The tenth was my disk image software,
which MB called malware. Worse, MB actually made
up names for all of the alleged malware. The harmless
Registry settings were "Rogue.Regsort" and my disk
imaging software was "Backdoor.Bifrose"! They were
highlighted in red as being critical dangers.

If I had trusted MB it would have deleted my
disk imager and messed up my Windows settings,
making for a very confusing situation. All without
any explanations and with unequivocally dire
warnings.

That kind of problem has been increasing on
Windows over the years. Anti-malware and AV
no longer work very well because there are numerous
0-day threats and millions of virus signatures. The
idea of identifying malware by a string of unique
bytes is simply outdated. But the AV companies
need to keep up their reputations and also want
to impress people with how much they're
accomplishing. So they tend to be very dramatic
and often poorly desigend. The MB warnings about
dangerous "modifications", for instance, are second-
guessing my choice of system settings. They don't
do it with education; perhaps a blurb explaining the
pros and cons of the settings I've chosen. They
just pop up an unexplained warning, using pseudo-
scientific jargon, and lead the average person feel
that they're narrowly avoiding calamity by letting
MB take over.

I would never recommend MB to anyone inexperienced,
and anyone experienced probably doesn't need it. In
most cases the only really useful malware monitors
are programs that watch for suspicious file activity.

And, of course, a firewall that will block everything
other than specific programs going outbound is a good
idea. I don't know if such firewalls are available for
Macs, but they may be. As far as I know there's still no
such thing available for Linux. Windows has had spyware
and bot malware for many years, so on Windows there
are lots of options for controlling inbound and outbound
traffic. That provides a good first line of defense. It
not only blocks commercial spyware but will also provide
a warning if you somehow get malware because most
malware is going to try to call home.

Old August 18th 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| There is a new "version 3" of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for
| Mac out.

Be very careful with that. I haven't used anything
like AV for many years on Windows, but I tried
MB at one point out of curiosity because it was
talked about so much on Windows groups. Before
allowing MB to do anything, the alleged problems
reported should be thoroughly researched so that
you understand the possible ramifications.

Maybe it found malware on your system. Maybe
it cooked up melodrama.

most likely what it found was adware that was intentionally installed
(likely by mistake), not actual malware.

it's also possible that what it found was not mac malware at all, but
rather windows malware, which does absolutely nothing on a mac, but is
removed anyway just to make it look like the app is doing something
useful.

And, of course, a firewall that will block everything
other than specific programs going outbound is a good
idea. I don't know if such firewalls are available for
Macs, but they may be.

of course they exist. not only is that functionality part of mac os,
but third party options take it to the next level with all sorts of
sophistication.

As far as I know there's still no
such thing available for Linux.

there is, but it's primitive, as is most stuff on linux.