Update on my FF foray

Old August 12th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Update on my FF foray

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:25:47 +0200, Paul Carmichael
wrote:

El 08/08/17 a las 18:52, Paul Carmichael escribió:
On 08/08/17 18:12, nospam wrote:

why are you still using 32 bit??

I don't use anything that needs to address huge amounts of memory. And I don't relish the
thought of starting from scratch with everything. I have all my translation stuff and what
not on the Windows box. Wouldn't want to risk breaking that.

Just noticed my laptop is 64 bit, but that's a bit pants. I thought about another PC but I
already have 4 big monitors on this desk. No room for any more. Bigger desk maybe...

Another idea:

http://tinyurl.com/yam8kl59 (dual monitor kvm)

Anybody here had any experience of one of these? We used to use single monitor ones back
in my programming days (I had about 8 PCs on and around my desk).

I was thinking one of those and a dedicated mini-tower just for Adobe stuff.

Some of them cause ghosting on the displays, and can be useless
because of that. They're okay for the keyboard and mouse, but if your
monitor has more than one input, you can do that instead.
Old August 12th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 08/08/17 18:12, nospam wrote:

[...]

You mean just switch on the one machine so the monitor automatically changes input?

I think you'll have to switch the input manually if they are both on.
You could probably use the KVM for the mouse and keyboard, but it
could also be okay with the monitor. The last time I used one was many
years ago with a CRT, and that setup had the ghosting. It might work
okay these days.
Old August 13th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:41:04 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

64 bit is the future

It's already the past.

no it isn't.

I remember when DEC brought out an 80 bit machine.

how well did that work out for them?

(What's that? Did you say "Who is DEC?)

no.

i said 'another stupid comment'.

Yes, you certainly did.

No doubt you will soon say another. :-)

Eric Stevens

Old August 13th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Carmichael
wrote:

Just ordered all the parts to make a new "lightroom box". Will also load
Elements on there, although I hardly ever use it. Who edits photos, FFS?

unless you're doing something very fancy, lightroom is sufficient for
editing, along with most everything else.
Old August 13th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 13, 2017, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

El 12/08/17 a las 18:51, Paul Carmichael escribió:

So yes, a mini tower with dual head graphics card, a 15 euro kvm for the
usb and keyboard
transponder and job done :-)

Just ordered all the parts to make a new "lightroom box". Will also load
Elements on
there, although I hardly ever use it. Who edits photos, FFS?

Another 1000 euros out the window.

A good idea, but you will still have your old edition of Lightroom without
RAW support for your new Canon.Also consider 16GB RAW.

Is the edition of PS Elements one you already have installed or will it be a
purchase of the latest edition PSE-15?
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

If you are upgrading to a dedicated PC It might be time to upgrade your
Lightroom to LR6 which is 64-bit only. You will still not have all the
features of LR CC, and it is not clear that you should get updates for new
camera support.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html

Personally, if you are making the commitment to a new camera, and a new,
dedicated computer, I highly recommend going for the Adobe CC Photography
Plan for $9.99/month. That will ensure that you are always up to date with
features, support, and much more.
http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Savageduck

Old August 13th 17, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 13, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 13, 2017, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

El 12/08/17 a las 18:51, Paul Carmichael escribió:

So yes, a mini tower with dual head graphics card, a 15 euro kvm for the
usb and keyboard
transponder and job done :-)

Just ordered all the parts to make a new "lightroom box". Will also load
Elements on
there, although I hardly ever use it. Who edits photos, FFS?

Another 1000 euros out the window.

A good idea, but you will still have your old edition of Lightroom without
RAW support for your new Canon. Also consider 16GB RAW.

....er, RAM.

Old August 13th 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

El 13/08/17 a las 15:58, Savageduck escribió:
On Aug 13, 2017, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

El 12/08/17 a las 18:51, Paul Carmichael escribió:

So yes, a mini tower with dual head graphics card, a 15 euro kvm for the
usb and keyboard
transponder and job done :-)

Just ordered all the parts to make a new "lightroom box". Will also load
Elements on
there, although I hardly ever use it. Who edits photos, FFS?

Another 1000 euros out the window.

A good idea, but you will still have your old edition of Lightroom without
RAW support for your new Canon.Also consider 16GB RAW.

I presume you mean 16GB RAM? Yes, it's what I've ordered.

Yup! I addressed that phingr phawlt/brain phart.

Is the edition of PS Elements one you already have installed or will it be a
purchase of the latest edition PSE-15?
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

I've downloaded the 64 bit version of 13 for the new box. Whether I update
that is another matter. I really don't remember the last time I used Elements.

Does that mean you have had PSE for some time?

If you are upgrading to a dedicated PC It might be time to upgrade your
Lightroom to LR6 which is 64-bit only. You will still not have all the
features of LR CC, and it is not clear that you should get updates for new
camera support.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html

That's the whole (and only) reason for the new box. I've already bought
version 6 and I hope they do update it after all this.

Since LR6 is supposed to be the final retail edition, they should update
support for new cameras, but the chart I posted above isn’t clear on that
issue. So the first thing I would do after you have made your installation is
check for LR6 updates.

Personally, if you are making the commitment to a new camera, and a new,
dedicated computer, I highly recommend going for the Adobe CC Photography
Plan for $9.99/month. That will ensure that you are always up to date with
features, support, and much more.
http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Hmm, might have to start taking photos again.

Always a good idea.

Too hot to go out.

Tell me about it!
For weeks we have been experiencing highs as extreme as 114ºF(45.5ºC) with
typical average highs of 98ºF(36.7ºC).

Savageduck

Old August 13th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

[...]

Just to confirm; the latest version of Lightroom 6 is LR 6.12, and it does
support Canon EOS 6D MkII.

Savageduck

Old August 13th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

That's the whole (and only) reason for the new box. I've already bought
version 6 and I hope they do update it after all this.

Since LR6 is supposed to be the final retail edition,

where did you get that idea?

adobe has repeatedly stated that lightroom will be offered in both a
standalone and subscription version for the foreseeable future.

adobe's typical product cycle is 18-24 months and it's coming up on 2.5
years for lightroom 6, so that announcement could happen at any time.

since lightroom 7 has not yet been announced, he will need to pay for
the upgrade.