Nikon living on borrowed time?

Old August 7th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Nikon living on borrowed time?

On 8/6/2017 12:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 6, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 8/6/2017 2:25 AM, Savageduck wrote:

...and this might be the most interesting commentary on your focusing with
this capture. It certainly confirms my OoF claim.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/woemxqfsa5obk7r/screenshot_130.png

Also from this information it seems you have selected AF-C and Dynamic Area
(25 FP), but you have not selected Tracking (menu item a3 ‘Focus Tracking
with lock on’).
Then there is the issue of your aim when panning.

Strange. I just double checked that setting.
It is set for Quick response when blocked, and motion of subject is
steady. When shooting animals, I change motion of subject to erratic, or
medium.
Since blocking does not usually occur when shooting races, according to
Nikon my settings are correct.
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technica...stom_settings/

I have learned that sometimes Nikon’s recommendations are not necessarily
the best for some particular situations one finds oneself shooting in. Of
course, sometimes they are. You just have to figure out which settings
actually work for you.

The main consideration for you is, working on your panning technique, and
your shutter finger action. If you are not able to keep a focus point locked
on your subject, no AF assistance is going to help you, regardless of
setting. You also seem to be using a single FP not an FP matrix. When I am
shooting with my D300S or my X-T2 with AF-C and zone tracking, I see the AF
points constantly moving in the active frame of the VF.

In your earlier response you said; "I have a tendency to move my
hands down when hitting the shutter. Easily solved with a remote release.”

A remote release isn’t going to solve your basic problem. This is exactly
the same as snatching the trigger if you were shooting any firearm. You
really need to train your trigger/shutter release finger with some dry fire
exercises. Your hand should not be moving, just your finger tip. As far as a
remote release goes, that is fine if you are using a tripod and are going for
a long exposure, but for an action shot where you are using both hands to
hold a bulky D500 + fat lens it will be awkward.
Along with AF-C and dynamic tracking you should be able to position an FP on
your subject(s), panning with them as they move past you on the track. You
should be able to use Ch or Cl to shoot a 1-1.5 second burst where the FP for
each shot is in the same plain as your panning motion.

I just hope that you understand that I am trying to provide constructive
criticism to fix what are glaring technique issues.

Yup! I do need moer practice.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/6/2017 9:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Then I would stop looking if I were you.
Also, it would probably be a good idea not to go to any motorsport events to
hang out near the pits.

If the weather holds out, I plan to go to a local raceway this weekend.
I will try to get an inside pass, but don't know if I can pull it off.

--
PeterN
Old August 7th 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/6/2017 10:56 PM, Diesel wrote:
"David B." news:gJnhB.253500$q41.75999
@fx05.fr7 Sat, 05 Aug 2017 18:00:40 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 05-Aug-17 6:25 PM, PeterN wrote:
I don't know if I can afford the learning process, as my wife was
playing the slots, while I was shooting. ;-)

Married to a gambler, eh?!!!

That relationship won't last.

Why are you forging posting nyms and uploading copyrighted pictures
to picpaste, David?

MID:

Hey next time, stupid, fix the posting language. And try to use the
same client as the individual you're pretending to be. I've never
used thunderbird, windows 10, nor is my language set to Great
Britain. Oh, one more tiny thing, do something with Avast header
insert. I don't run ANY av resident. :-)

It seems to me that you're doing exactly what:

Claims you do. Please, continue demonstrating to the fine posters
here what little regard you have for others copyrights, their
privacy, etc. I'm sure it'll go over fantastically well with them. I
bet the forgery will be a smash hit, too.

Stick to photography, or STFU. A lot of us here are fed up with your crap.
BTW congratulations. You are the first one I plonked.

--
PeterN
Old August 8th 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PeterN
news rec.photo.digital, wrote:

[...]

ROFL. My crap? You seem to be a bit more than confused, and, I'm
honored to be in your killfilter. I don't do particularly well with
misinformed people who make bad decisions based on their ignorance of
an individual or subject. Much less so when they choose to remain
ignorant on purpose.

http://picpaste.com/m9WZ0KrA.jpg - David and Trisha
http://picpaste.com/U5np7XvN.jpg - How to contact David and Trisha

What should you do if a girl sits on your hand?
Try to get her off.
Old August 9th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 09-Aug-17 4:11 AM, Diesel wrote:
Are you going to upload them elsewhere too, David?

Absolutely not! No need whatsoever to do so.

--
A wave to Dave! http://picpaste.com/Dustin_and_his_van_-_JPEG_.jpg
Old August 16th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

"David B." news:MTFiB.277616$yo5.113518
@fx14.fr7 Wed, 09 Aug 2017 15:29:48 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 09-Aug-17 4:11 AM, Diesel wrote:
Are you going to upload them elsewhere too, David?

Absolutely not! No need whatsoever to do so.

Why the exception?

http://picpaste.com/B4rjEFK0.jpg - David and Trisha
http://picpaste.com/U5np7XvN.jpg - RIAA love David style

URA Redneck if your funeral has more pickup trucks than cars.