This is insane - On1 Photo Raw crashes

Old August 2nd 17, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default This is insane - On1 Photo Raw crashes

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 18:36:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 1, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 19:59:05 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

If you really want to test the problem you'll
need to find people with the program and give them
the files in question. The problem is obviously not
red cars.

It obviously is red cars. The files themselves work everywhere else.

is it both raw & jpeg or just raw?
what if you alter the colours so that the car is not red anymore?

And BTW, ON1 replied. Uninstall, reinstall with the latest installer,
check this and that in the video card settings, yada yada. All they
did was **** me off.

translated: they have no idea why, but hopefully a reinstall causes the
problem to go away without needing to diagnose what it actually is.

Yep, exactly that. They still haven't replied to my last email.
Anyway, it never happens with jpg's, but it does happen if I drop the
saturation to zero on a raw file, and then go through all the steps.
But if I do that, the photo stays B&W, even though the program
crashed. So anyway, I opened it again, then clicked on that now B&W
image to open it in the develop module, and it would not display.
Finally, this problem does not happen with raw photos from my K5
(16mp), only from my K3 (24mp), so now I think that's going to be the
key. Their code is not handling Pentax files too well. I also updated
my video driver, and their is no change. It also crashed when I tried
to just open a dng file from that camera. But it's still only red
photos.

This behavior is very odd.

It is strange that it isn’t handling Pentax files too well. Back in January
it was crashing when opening RAF files in the stand-alone version, but worked
without issue as a Lightroom plug-in. I didn’t see any feedback with regard
to Pentax file issues. With the April and June updates all issues seem to
have been fixed for me and my Fujifilm RAF files.

Did you check the On1 Log, and have you forwarded a copy of the log to On1
support?

Not yet, but at least I found it, and I'll send it on tomorrow. If you
want to play around, my reply to nospam has links to two photos, and
the log, along with instructions on duplicating it.
Old August 2nd 17, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 1, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Aug 1, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 19:59:05 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

OK! I saw those files in your response to nospam. I have loaded both into On1
Photo Raw and I have made adjustments to both. I tried your zoom manipulation
and file reselection with both, and with the move from the red car to the
black, and back again there was no crash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a54ah8he9tx4us/screenshot_126.jpg

....and here is the On1 Log entry for dealing with your files:

2017-08-01 23:15:37 ON1 - ********************** Opened file _IMG4525.PEF
with LibRaw error: 0
2017-08-01 23:15:37 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()
2017-08-01 23:17:27 ON1 - ********************** Opened file _IMG4528.PEF
with ONPhotoRaw error: 0
2017-08-01 23:17:27 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()

2017-08-01 23:20:55 ON1 - ********************** Opened file _IMG4525.PEF
with LibRaw error: 0
2017-08-01 23:20:55 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()
2017-08-01 23:22:14 ON1 - ********************** Opened file _IMG4528.PEF
with ONPhotoRaw error: 0
2017-08-01 23:22:14 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()

Savageduck

Old August 2nd 17, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 23:36:52 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 1, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Aug 1, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 19:59:05 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

Do it a few times with each.
Old August 3rd 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

And the crash log. I see the word "error" a lot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/turhva6lcr...20Log.txt?dl=0

they're all error: 0, which normally means no error.
Old August 3rd 17, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:52:49 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

And the crash log. I see the word "error" a lot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/turhva6lcr...20Log.txt?dl=0

they're all error: 0, which normally means no error.

Well, this science experiment is coming to an end. I found the problem
- at least 10 times now. This is starting to look like a memory leak
issue - remember those?

I never did get it to happen with the K5 photos which are 16mb. I went
back to the settings, and changed the color space to AdobeRGB in the 3
tabs with that setting. After that, I could go through many photos
before it crashed. So just to confirm, I changed it all back to
Prophoto, and I still couldn't get it to crash until I went through
many photos (red or anything else), so it wasn't the color space
setting.

My mainboard has the onboard Intel 4600 graphics. I went to change the
allocated memory in the bios, and the max is 512MB, and that's where
it was set. That's awfully low, and I'm thinking that might be the
issue, but all my other photo software works fine. I lowered the
percentage of VRAM On1 could use from 80% to 60%, but it still
crashes.

Anyway, it seems that On1 might have issues with how it uses memory.
It's sort of usable at the moment, but that's not exactly what I look
for in software. It also seems very slow overall no matter what I'm
doing with it. I bought it because it was only $50 for the upgrade,
but a $400 video card runs that price up just a bit too much. I might
have to give up on this.
Old August 3rd 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:52:49 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

Did you forward the Log to On1 support?

There was this repeated log entry, which suggests where the problem might
lie. Perhaps it is time to buy a Mac.

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 Photo RAW 2017 - Launched Standalone

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - System Locale: en

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - Default Locale: en

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - ONRaw: 133

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - GetAvailableVRAMBytesFromDXGI -
DedicatedVideoMemory: 112MB DedicatedSystemMemory: 0MB SharedSystemMemory:
2048MB

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - GetAvailableVRAMBytesFromDXGI VRAM found is: 112MB

2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - VRAM value not found. Assuming the VRAM is 256MB

[ 14040] 2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - OnOneFilterPipe::RunJobThread RUNNING

[ 9736] 2017-08-01 19:09:56 ON1 - OnOneGPUPipe::RunJobThread RUNNING

Old August 3rd 17, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 22:18:59 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:52:49 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I did forward the log, and I did notice those VRAM references. I
didn't know what they meant, so that's up to On1 to figure out. It
does sort of match up with my suspicions about memory usage. If they
ever get back to me, I will post their response.

I also noticed that your log made no mention of VRAM, so I guess that
MACOS and Windows use memory in a different manner. I never did take
that computer science class. I wonder if anyone at On1 did.
Old August 3rd 17, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 22:18:59 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 2, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:52:49 -0400,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I pointed out those VRAM log references because they seemed odd to me.
When I posted my log it was just to show that I had opened your Pentax RAW
files without a crash.

Here is what the MacOS On1 log looks like in normal operation for me. It is
quite different to yours.

2017-07-23 16:04:50 ON1 - VRAM Found in XML: Amount is 536870912 bytes (512
MB)

[ 8219] 2017-07-23 16:04:51 ON1 - OnOneFilterPipe::RunJobThread RUNNING

[ 24331] 2017-07-23 16:04:51 ON1 - OnOneGPUPipe::RunJobThread RUNNING

2017-07-23 16:05:00 ON1 - ONExploreService::loadPhotos() loaded 10221 photos;
took 2971 ms.

[ 52483] 2017-07-23 16:05:01 ON1 - ONExploreStartup::run() took 3176 ms.

2017-07-23 16:05:07 ON1 - Server starting up

2017-07-23 16:05:07 ONQtServer - ONQtServer listening on 58949

2017-07-23 16:14:57 ON1 - ********************** Opened file DSCF5235.RAF
with ONPhotoRaw error: 0

2017-07-23 16:14:57 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()

2017-07-23 16:36:33 ON1 - ********************** Opened file DSCF5233.RAF
with ONPhotoRaw error: 0

2017-07-23 16:36:33 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()

2017-07-23 16:40:45 ON1 - ********************** Opened file DSCF5229.RAF
with ONPhotoRaw error: 0

2017-07-23 16:40:45 ON1 Photo RAW - PLDocFileOp::load()

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 17, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

2017-07-23 16:05:07 ONQtServer - ONQtServer listening on 58949

this one caught my eye, and after a bit of digging, sure enough,
they're using qt, a cross-platform framework. that's not a good sign,
as apps written using qt generally suck in all sorts of ways.

on the other hand, it has two analytics frameworks, so they know about
the crashes.

interestingly enough, there is a file in the raw framework that
describes the bayer grid for various cameras, and the k3 and k5 are
arranged differently. it doesn't actually matter as long as the raw
converter knows how to process it, but curious nonetheless.
Old August 3rd 17, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 03:26:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

2017-07-23 16:05:07 ONQtServer - ONQtServer listening on 58949

this one caught my eye, and after a bit of digging, sure enough,
they're using qt, a cross-platform framework. that's not a good sign,
as apps written using qt generally suck in all sorts of ways.

on the other hand, it has two analytics frameworks, so they know about
the crashes.

interestingly enough, there is a file in the raw framework that
describes the bayer grid for various cameras, and the k3 and k5 are
arranged differently. it doesn't actually matter as long as the raw
converter knows how to process it, but curious nonetheless.

English only please...

But more to the point, if I'm not willing to buy a new video card,
should I dump this software?