HDR test

Old July 31st 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default HDR test

On Jul 31, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
Then you should enjoy this rendition. ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwuvs82a7s9b6wc/IMG_2403_HDRTM1.jpeg

Yuk.

Very intentional yuk.

Ron C:
Interesting but I'd like a bit more of a Norman Rockwell feel. :-)

You have to start with the composition. The picture must depict a
really sappy scene.

A kitsch Kinkade scene, or a velvet Elvis.

Savageduck

Old July 31st 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/30/2017 12:45 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 29, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

Here are two HDR images created with Photomatix, each out of five RAWs
(+- 2EV, 0):

http://www.molon.de/galleries/Georgi...img.php?pic=21
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Georgi...img.php?pic=22

I tried to make them as photorealistic as possible, but with HDR it's
not easy, or perhaps I'm still not familiar with Photomatix (just bought
the software. What do you think?

As an early effort they are not bad at all, but you are not going to get away
without me making a few observations:
First Photomatix is not the easiest, or most forgiving when it comes to
making subtle adjustments with the tone mapping, but you have done well to
control things. However, that is the tool you have so just work with it and
try to understand how each of their adjustments is going to change the
result. An light hand will always work best.

Then consider that the 5 shot bracket with a 2EV step is going to give you an
8EV range. You might try a less extreme 1EV step, giving you a 4EV range.
Experimentation is a good thing. The goal is to get a 32-bit file which will
not have blown highlights, and from which you can pull detail out of the
shadows without eliminating them. Then always remember that balancing
saturation, and contrast is going to add to the reality of any HDR rendering.

With both images you are on the verge of overcooking them. Consider that if
you are looking for photorealistic results shadows, and how they are rendered
can make a big difference, as can where you initial exposure is taken and the
other compositional considerations.

In image #21 the HDR might have benefited from the use of an ND Grad filter
to help balance the sky, and reduce some of the flare.

In image #22 some deepening of the shadows in post could help with the
appearance of the figures, and trees in the square, which without realistic
shadows take on an artificial look.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The issue I have is that there is
too little detail in the shadows. such detail may not exist.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 7/31/2017 11:29 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 31, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
Then you should enjoy this rendition. ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwuvs82a7s9b6wc/IMG_2403_HDRTM1.jpeg

Yuk.

Very intentional yuk.

Ron C:
Interesting but I'd like a bit more of a Norman Rockwell feel. :-)

You have to start with the composition. The picture must depict a
really sappy scene.

A kitsch Kinkade scene, or a velvet Elvis.

Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)
--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old July 31st 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/30/2017 10:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 7/30/2017 6:07 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 7/30/2017 3:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 7/30/2017 12:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Alfred Molon:

Thanks for the feedback, but actually there isn't much in terms of
shadows. Here is how the 0EV processed RAW looks like:
http://www.molon.de/images/P61710041.jpg

I'll try process again these HDRs, to add more contrast.

And lose the blue cast. Lightroom. This is a job for Lightroom because
it's proven to fix such photos quickly and without making them look
unrealistic.

Currently *Photo Merge to HDR* in Lightroom delivers the most realistic
HDR results of any of the HDR processing tools, with none of the
stereotypical, overcooked HDR characteristics.

Photomatix which Alfred has used here, leans towards oversaturation, low
contrast, and glowing edge haloes. It is tough to make subtle adjutments
to get a truly realistic result from Photomatix tone mapping.
For what it's worth, here's a test series I did w/Photomatix.
Three RAWs (+/- 1EV, 0) [ My camera only does 3 shot brackets :-( ]

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s1pgfjmad...bmdWPB_La?dl=0

I believe I managed to avoid over saturation and glowing edge halos. The
contrast may be a bit low.

OK! I must be missing something. I see 5 JPGs none of which are IDed as an
HDR. They don’t appear to part of an exposure bracket, though movement
changes can be seen in the wave. The only obvious tonal changes I see are
in the pier structure on the right.

This is an example of a 5 shot -2,-1,0,+1,+2 exposure bracket, merged to
HDR in Lightroom, and then adjusted. All exposures and the HDR included.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h5ciz344uedin2f/AADo4pf-hfjs9s3n8Doj-Jzha
OK, here are the three shots and the settings I used in Photomatix.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eoyznr0n2b3q87d/AABuTt5UGFTih4DsPj5Vr8vea?dl=0

In your UseNet#2 folder you have the 3 JPG bracket and an an XMP file
labeled
Beach Test #1.xmp. There is no HDR result.

All the ...2403~5 photos were processed with Photomatix. The one with
the [EV0] label was the unprocessed single exposure.

OK!

Four of the photos in the first link were part of a "what if" experiment
where I applied different highlight and shadow corrections to IMG_2404 and
IMG_2405 using ACR before running Photomatix.

Why? It has been some time since I last used Photomatix and as best I can
remember you could process RAW files. Processing the RAW CR2 files would
give you a better DR for making any tone map adjustments

I used the same Photomatix setting for each of the tests.

Again, I was just playing around with a what if...

It is always good to experiment.

I took a look at your bracket, and due to the severe human movement I
couldn’t solve the ghost issue with Lightroom. So I went to my next HDR
tool *Aurora 2017 HDR* which is Mac only. Aurora handles ghosting and
movement very well.
Here is the result.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bt3f2kbrxlsb4lc/AACDooc0ySxBdn9NQUMqbRnTa

I posted the "UseNet#2" link to show the untouched brackets from the
previous link.

I added my cropped HDR of the _2403.._2405 sequence [Yes, I made the sky
blue] along with another different HDR from the same day.

I tend to like the somewhat over cooked post card look. Maybe I'll out
grow that tendency someday. :-)
[YMMV]

Then you should enjoy this rendition. ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwuvs82a7s9b6wc/IMG_2403_HDRTM1.jpeg

I figured you were going to show a Harry Potter look. Composition issues
aside, Your version is more water color than Harry Potter. :-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfxxq48d2vs72o4/IMG_2403_HDR_jpeg.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ron C:
Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)

It's Art. the Artistes who create black velvet (faux velvet, actually,
as velvet is expensive) do it by hand.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 31st 17, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 31, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Ron C:
Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)

It's Art. the Artistes who create black velvet (faux velvet, actually,
as velvet is expensive) do it by hand.

Just do a mural using an electrostatic flocking gun/applicator.
http://www.flockit.com/index.php/cp7...ostatic-flock-
applicator.html

Savageduck

Old August 1st 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2017 6:11 PM, Davoud wrote:
Ron C:
Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)

It's Art. the Artistes who create black velvet (faux velvet, actually,
as velvet is expensive) do it by hand.

Not when you use Spanish prisoners. More money was paid to the warden,
than the prisoners.

--
PeterN
Old August 1st 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ron C:
Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)

Davoud:
It's Art. the Artistes who create black velvet (faux velvet, actually,
as velvet is expensive) do it by hand.

PeterN
Not when you use Spanish prisoners. More money was paid to the warden,
than the prisoners.

But do the prisoner-Artistes make the paintings by hand or with
printers?

Old August 1st 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/1/2017 9:33 AM, Davoud wrote:
Ron C:
Hmm, where can I find a printer that will print on black velvet? ;-) :-)

Davoud:
It's Art. the Artistes who create black velvet (faux velvet, actually,
as velvet is expensive) do it by hand.

PeterN
Not when you use Spanish prisoners. More money was paid to the warden,
than the prisoners.

But do the prisoner-Artistes make the paintings by hand or with
printers?

I don/t know. The guy who organized this scheme is deceased. I never
asked him.

--
PeterN

test B Pearson Digital SLR Cameras 2 December 8th 08 09:09 AM
Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test) [email protected] Digital Photography 5 May 25th 07 08:11 PM
Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test) [email protected] Other Photographic Equipment 5 May 25th 07 08:11 PM
Test "Test too small", ?? [email protected] Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 June 28th 05 07:27 AM
test stig Digital Photography 0 April 17th 05 09:01 PM