For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

Old May 11th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them.

what does it take to move beyond threat level and actually carry it
out?
Old May 11th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 10 May 2017 23:00:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them.

what does it take to move beyond threat level and actually carry it
out?

After they told me I had to pay them to tell me how to fix the problem
that *their* update caused, I was at the tipping point... And this was
after I told them exactly what was wrong - a munged boot sector. "Oh,
well at this level 1 customer support, no one knows anything about
MBR's and those things. You have to get that info at level 2, our paid
service".

It's almost exactly like ransomware, except that a lot of Googling
came up with a fix. About 10 commands (bootrec & diskpart commands)
typed into the command line - really about 60 seconds if you type
fast, and it's fixed. The ridiculous part is that the Windows
install/recovery files (Media creation files) come out differently
depending on whether you choose to write them to a USB drive, or to a
DVD. Some tools are missing in the USB version, and a couple of the
commands fail, the critical one being bcdboot.
Old May 11th 17, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-11 02:56:34 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:32:33 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-24 02:23:27 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:05:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-24 01:34:56 +0000, Bill W said:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:11:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

OK! I found an inoffensive subject for those folks who would like to play.

So here is the SOOC JPEG Acros rendition (14MB) with the RAW file (50.5
MB RAF), and for the folks who just want to peek without dealing with
the big files, a resized JPEG (791KB).
With LR or ACR the Adobe version of Acros is available in the Camera
Calibration panel.

If you care to try AlienSkin Exposure X2, they have a 30 day trial
(works as stand-alone and/or as LR/PS plug-in).
https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/
Their Acros simulation is found in their film presets as "Fuji Neopan
100 Acros".

Resized JPEG 791KB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yfxuwsez20iv60/_DSF4283RS.jpg
SOOC JPEG 14MB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mes7v4u49jliphb/_DSF4283.JPG
RAF 50.5MB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m981iseihumw2q/_DSF4283.RAF

I suck at this. I need a couple of more months.

What happened? You were the most enthusiastic at wanting to play this game.

What sort of issue are you experiencing?

The issue is that I suck at it. To be honest, I spent only a short
time so far. I decided to just pick a basic B&W preset, and start with
that. I decided that the exposure, tone, contrast, and micro-contrast
were the main issues to start with, and I couldn't get anywhere with
those. But again, I spent only about 10 minutes so far. I'll get back
to it later.

OK! Don't drive yourself crazy with this little exercise. ;-)

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them. Anyway, I should be too
embarrassed to post this, but here is my pathetic try:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/w7af6P

Just more proof that I can get really lost in post.

All of us can, and do get lost in post.
Not bad, not bad at all.

BTW, if racing is of any interest to you, I have a "Videos" album on
Flickr, with exactly one video. Let me know what you think of the
woman driver in the Grand National.

Ruthie should learn to stick in her lane.

Don't bother letting me know what
you think of my video skills, though.

Savageduck

Old May 11th 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Regardless of the results on their own, an A/B comparison isn't very
close.

BTW, if racing is of any interest to you, I have a "Videos" album on
Flickr, with exactly one video. Let me know what you think of the
woman driver in the Grand National.

Ruthie should learn to stick in her lane.

True, but an amazing recovery. She never touched the wall. But you are
right, she did lose the thing. This was a lower level meet - not NHRA,
and you could see the difference in the driving. If you look at the
LVMS Street Car album, there is a series of photos of another car that
did hit the wall. The guy did walk away - into the ambulance. There
was a lot of sloppy driving.
Old May 11th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them.

what does it take to move beyond threat level and actually carry it
out?

After they told me I had to pay them to tell me how to fix the problem
that *their* update caused, I was at the tipping point... And this was
after I told them exactly what was wrong - a munged boot sector. "Oh,
well at this level 1 customer support, no one knows anything about
MBR's and those things. You have to get that info at level 2, our paid
service".

customer support is mostly useless, and at the larger companies, they
just want to get you off the phone because they're rated on number of
calls.

It's almost exactly like ransomware, except that a lot of Googling
came up with a fix. About 10 commands (bootrec & diskpart commands)
typed into the command line - really about 60 seconds if you type
fast, and it's fixed. The ridiculous part is that the Windows
install/recovery files (Media creation files) come out differently
depending on whether you choose to write them to a USB drive, or to a
DVD. Some tools are missing in the USB version, and a couple of the
commands fail, the critical one being bcdboot.

welcome to windows.
Old May 11th 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It looks OK on its own, presented within Flickr.

BTW, if racing is of any interest to you, I have a "Videos" album on
Flickr, with exactly one video. Let me know what you think of the
woman driver in the Grand National.

Ruthie should learn to stick in her lane.

True, but an amazing recovery. She never touched the wall. But you are
right, she did lose the thing. This was a lower level meet - not NHRA,
and you could see the difference in the driving. If you look at the
LVMS Street Car album, there is a series of photos of another car that
did hit the wall. The guy did walk away - into the ambulance. There
was a lot of sloppy driving.

Drag racing isn't something I follow other than stumbling across it.

Our local track, Laguna Seca near Monterey hosts the type of event
which grabs my interest. So If you care to leave the Vegas area to
visit the California Central Coast in August, you might find The Rolex
Monterey Motorsports Reunion, both entertaining and interesting.
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion

Then you can get shots like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb2bajck7onu6iv/DNC4947Aw.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmfiv1gfylj41aa/DNC4996Aw.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypnjhfkqrqjlb6j/DNC4537Aw.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 11th 17, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 10 May 2017 23:31:40 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.
Old May 11th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Yep, Laguna Seca is a real racetrack. The speedway out here has 3 road
courses, but they are used only for testing, track days, and
"drive-a-race-car" outfits, no competitions or any sort of spectator
events at all.

I finally bought a car that I actually enjoy driving, so maybe I will
head out that way.
Old May 11th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

macs don't care if they're booted from internal or external drive,
whether it's usb, firewire, thunderbolt or sata. as long as the system
on the drive is compatible with the mac, it will boot, without any
changes necessary. they can even boot and install macos over the
internet to a blank hard drive.

there is also a recovery partition, which is automatically installed
(and is used for more than just recovery), so you don't actually need a
separate emergency boot disk.
Old May 11th 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 11 May 2017 01:24:58 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

All stuff I didn't know, but that points to the usual stumbling block
- I'd have to learn a new system. I'm old...