Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another inLinux?

Old October 15th 14, 12:54 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

Default Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another inLinux?

Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another in Linux?

Something like:
$ copy pic1.exif.jpg pic2.exif.jpg

where the result is that the EXIF information is copied from picture 1 to
picture 2.
Old October 15th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 10/14/2014 06:54 PM, Tourgueniev wrote:
Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another in Linux?

Something like:
$ copy pic1.exif.jpg pic2.exif.jpg

where the result is that the EXIF information is copied from picture 1 to
picture 2.

Maybe here

http://askubuntu.com/questions/9341/...an-exif-editor
Old October 15th 14, 01:05 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tourgueniev
wrote:

Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another in Linux?

Something like:
$ copy pic1.exif.jpg pic2.exif.jpg

where the result is that the EXIF information is copied from picture 1 to
picture 2.

get exiftool, which works on mac/windows/linux:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
Old October 15th 14, 01:41 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Tourgueniev wrote:
Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another in Linux?

Something like:
$ copy pic1.exif.jpg pic2.exif.jpg

where the result is that the EXIF information is copied from picture 1 to
picture 2.

The /exiftool/ program can be used to accomplish that,
but I wouldn't say it is "easy"! :-) You'd have to learn
a good bit about shell script programming to do it.

I've been using a script to do that for some years, so
it's fairly well tested, but it inserts
comments/copyright etc that are specific to my needs.
As written it also assumes Nikon generated files, and
for instance will read Exif data from NEF files but
refuses write to one.

I'll send you a copy of the script in email if you'd
like to have it. Send me an email telling me what
cameras you use, what name(s) might be in any copyright
notices in the original files and how you'd like
copyright notices to look when data is copied.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 15th 14, 07:08 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:05:40 -0400, nospam wrote:

get exiftool, which works on mac/windows/linux:

You gave me a great keyword to search for examples!

Searching on "exiftool", I immediately found this:
http://thomer.com/howtos/copy_exif.html

The very first test worked perfectly!
$ exiftool -TagsFromFile old.jpg new.jpg

This copied the EXIF data perfectly from old.jpg to new.jpg!

Of course, I should now be able to modify that EXIF data slightly, but
that's the next step to learn (which I had not originally asked about).
Old October 15th 14, 07:31 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 16:41:21 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The /exiftool/ program can be used to accomplish that,
but I wouldn't say it is "easy"!

Thanks for the idea of exiftool because a search for examples
found this web site which showed a perfect example:
http://thomer.com/howtos/copy_exif.html

The simplest copy from one file to another is:
exiftool -TagsFromFile old.jpg new.jpg

If we want to keep a tag out, we use double dashes:
exiftool -TagsFromFile old.jpg --Orientation new.jpg

I do realize this isn't at all sophisticated, in that some of the exif
data will be all wrong, such as

File Size : 100 kB
Exif Image Width : 480
Exif Image Height : 640
Image Size : 480x640

Is there an easy way to fix those 4 using either exiftool or exiv2?
Old October 15th 14, 07:46 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 01:23:33 +0000, Parko wrote:

You could also try exiv2. Command line tool, so it may not suit you if
you're all gooey like any other creative type. Check your distro's repos
if its not installed by default.

I'm doing ok, so far, with the first suggestion, which was exiftool.

At the moment, it moved all the exif tags from one photo to the next,
but the problem now are the 4 problematic tags:
File Size : 100 kB
Exif Image Width : 480
Exif Image Height : 640
Image Size : 480x640

Googling for how to change exif data on linux, I found these examples:
http://dimitar.me/change-the-date-an...s-with-ubuntu/

This resets the dates to whatever you want them to be:
exiftool -AllDates='2014:10:10 15:35:33' -overwrite_original new.jpg

Testing that syntax with the 4 obvious exif tags above, I tried this:
$ ls -l new.jpg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 67160 Oct 14 23:40 new.jpg

exiftool -File Size='67160' -overwrite_original new.jpg
But I apparently need to work on the syntax a little bit.
Old October 15th 14, 08:25 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Tourgueniev wrote:
The very first test worked perfectly!
$ exiftool -TagsFromFile old.jpg new.jpg

This copied the EXIF data perfectly from old.jpg to new.jpg!

Of course, I should now be able to modify that EXIF data slightly, but
that's the next step to learn (which I had not originally asked about).

A variation that is often very useful is,

$ exiftool -tagsfromfile old.jpg -tagsfromfile new.jpg new.jpg

That will retain all tags that exist in new.jpg, and add everything
from old.jpg that is not in new.jpg.

To change one specific tag,

# exiftool -tagname=new_value new.jpg

Quote text, so an example might be,

# exiftool -usercomment="Alpha Project" new.jpg

Try running exiftool with option '-s', and also '-s -s'. Notice
the difference in tag names and format, which can be useful in
making the output easier to parse.

Old October 15th 14, 08:31 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:25:13 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

A variation that is often very useful is,

$ exiftool -tagsfromfile old.jpg -tagsfromfile new.jpg new.jpg

That will retain all tags that exist in new.jpg, and add everything
from old.jpg that is not in new.jpg.

Oooh. Thats a good one!
Very useful!

Old October 15th 14, 08:48 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:25:13 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Try running exiftool with option '-s', and also '-s -s'.

That's interesting.
The first -s shortens the names by taking away spaces.
The second (seemingly redundant) removes more white space.

thanks.