Outstanding Art/Photo Website award to wedding/portrait photographer

Old November 17th 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Slack

Default Outstanding Art/Photo Website award to wedding/portrait photographer

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:13:38 -0800, wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've given a Nov 2006 Outstanding Art/Photography Website Award to Nadia
Salameh Photography, a great wedding/portrait photographer who also does
some stunning personal work:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/website.php

Congratulations Nadia.

Hmm... maybe I just don't like wedding photography, but most of the
photos on her site are completely soulless and saccharine. Not much
interesting stuff at all.

And it's a Flash website with a freaking intro. Yuck.

-Gniewko

I found her work to be incredibly well done. Her portrait work is amazing.

I'm not a Flash fan either, but she did a great job on her site;
professional and user friendly.... the chick is good!
--
Slack
Old November 18th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Fletis Humplebacker

Sudee wrote:
Rick Sciacca wrote:

I don't know how anyone can justify not having broadband now. What?
You like
to wait for pages to load?

I can justify it quite easily. Instead of 12 bucks a month it
would cost me $120 a month for two sites, plus hardware.
I can live without seeing every idiotic thing posted on the web.
Good web designs load fairly fast with a good dialup connection.

We're not all city critters. Broadband (and cable) go where the highest
density of potential customers are first. Then they take their own sweet
time getting optical fiber, etc. out in rural areas. We couldn't get
broadband where I live until about 6 months ago, and we still wouldn't
have more than 2 or 3 TV stations if it weren't for satellite.

Sue

There has been internet via satellite for a while too but I
justified not getting that either.
Old November 18th 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Raphael Bustin

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:39:03 -0800, Fletis Humplebacker
wrote:

There has been internet via satellite for a while too but I
justified not getting that either.

You and Larry King. Except Larry doesn't even have dialup.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 19th 06, 10:10 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
kosh

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've given a Nov 2006 Outstanding Art/Photography Website Award to Nadia
Salameh Photography, a great wedding/portrait photographer who also does
some stunning personal work:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/website.php

Congratulations Nadia.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

so, the site has been slammed by many... personllay I like the
photographers work... but it's bloody useless knowing a good American
wedding photographer in AUSTRALIA!

thanks for the cross-post!
Old November 20th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

kosh wrote:

so, the site has been slammed by many... personllay I like the
photographers work... but it's bloody useless knowing a good American
wedding photographer in AUSTRALIA!

thanks for the cross-post!

Actually I figured even us Australians might learn something from
looking at good photography and presentation. Afterall that is what the
award is for, not to generate wedding work (directly).

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old December 10th 06, 07:52 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Wayne J. Cosshall

Alan K. wrote:

With regard to the site, I've got to go with Gniewko on this one for a
number of reasons.

First, not everyone has broadband. Second, not everyone has *fast*
broadband. Third, not everyone wants to chew up their broadband quotas
on Flash fluff. Fourth, it has sound (music) that plays by default,
which is a complete and utter no-no IMHO. There's nothing more
annoying than opening a web site at the office or at home when someone
in the next room is sleeping, and suddenly having Kenny Bloody G (or
something that sounds very similar) blasting out of the speakers
whether you want it to or not. (Especially when at dial up speed the
music keeps stopping and starting which is, curiously, even more
irritating than when it plays constantly. At least there was an Off
option, but Off should be the default.) Fifth, I WAS going to say that
the site was missing the all important "Skip Flash Intro" link that
web designers should be forced to put on EVERY Flash-containing web
site upon pain of something being done to them which involves very hot
and very pointy pokers. However it appears that not only is the intro
done in Flash, the *Whole Frappin' Site* is done in Flash which makes
it slower than an arthritic tortoise on a dial up connection and makes
it impossible to load the thumbnails of different galleries in tabs in
Firefox. Sixth, I sometimes (randomly rather than constantly) found it
difficult to determine a causal relationship between the thumbnail
that my mouse was resting on, and the image that appeared at the top.

IMHO, any web site that is all Flash or doesn't allow you to bypass
Flash should be automatically out of the running for ANY web site
award until such time as everyone has bandwidth that is about 10 times
as fast and a hundredth of the cost.

Maybe it was done via Flash to make it harder for people to pilfer
copies of the shots. But whatever the reason, I hereby appoint myself
Grand Inquisitor of the Campaign For the Reclaiming of the Web for
True HTML. (That's GIOTCFTROTWFTH to you.) To the barricades,
citizens!

(For the humour-impaired, there was a " 8^ " involved in the last
paragraph, but not in the second-last one.)

Hi Alan,

Loved your post.
--
Wayne J. Cosshall