Epson Stylus Photo RX580 Question

Old December 9th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default Epson Stylus Photo RX580 Question

Just read some reviews on the Epson Stylus Photo RX580 All-in-One
Printer/Scanner. It seems to have lots of nice features, even when not
connected to a PC, and print quality seems good from the customer
reviews I've read at Amazon and Circuit City websites.

I'm interested in hearing whether anyone on this NG has had experience
with it (positive or negative). According to their website, it can be
had at BestBuy for $179, and I have a 10% off coupon for this weekend....

I'm somewhat experienced in (amateur) digital photography and expect to
soon find the time needed to improve my skills. I thought that this
printer might be a good "middle ground" between very basic and high-end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old December 9th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

BRH wrote:
Just read some reviews on the Epson Stylus Photo RX580 All-in-One
Printer/Scanner. It seems to have lots of nice features, even when not
connected to a PC, and print quality seems good from the customer
reviews I've read at Amazon and Circuit City websites.

I'm interested in hearing whether anyone on this NG has had experience
with it (positive or negative). According to their website, it can be
had at BestBuy for $179, and I have a 10% off coupon for this weekend....

I'm somewhat experienced in (amateur) digital photography and expect to
soon find the time needed to improve my skills. I thought that this
printer might be a good "middle ground" between very basic and high-end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Darn News Reader! Sorry for the duplicate post.....
Old December 9th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

BRH wrote in message . ..
BRH wrote:
Just read some reviews on the Epson Stylus Photo RX580 All-in-One
Printer/Scanner. It seems to have lots of nice features, even when not
connected to a PC, and print quality seems good from the customer reviews
I've read at Amazon and Circuit City websites.

I'm interested in hearing whether anyone on this NG has had experience
with it (positive or negative). According to their website, it can be
had at BestBuy for $179, and I have a 10% off coupon for this weekend....

I'm somewhat experienced in (amateur) digital photography and expect to
soon find the time needed to improve my skills. I thought that this
printer might be a good "middle ground" between very basic and high-end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have owned several Epson printers (but never a combo). They are good.
But, do consider ink costs. This is where the sticker shock comes into
play. Also, plan on using Epson paper if you need the most accurate color
reproduction.

Combined function appliances make me nervous, by the way. The RX580 might
be a good combo, but do be cautious.

Old December 10th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi,
Just read some reviews on the Epson Stylus Photo RX580 All-in-One
I'm interested in hearing whether anyone on this NG has had experience
with it (positive or negative). According to their website, it can be had
at BestBuy for $179, and I have a 10% off coupon for this weekend....

I don't have experience with the RX580 so this is a bit off topic, but the
printer I have looks like a similar printing mechanism. I have two Epson
printers, R340 and an older 2200. I've printed the same photo on both, same
settings (using Photoshop CS) at the best settings that each printer offers
using Epson 4x6 Premium Glossy Photopaper and Epson 8.5x11 Premium Glossy.
The 2200 was just a little bit lighter and it was smoother than the R340,
but colors were identical to my eye. From the epson site, it looks like the
580 and 340 are pretty comparable in the printing mechanism. Each cartridge
has 15ml of ink in it (not a lot) but I have printed quite a bit of photos
(4x6 and 8x10) with it (don't have an exact count, but it looks like I've
been through about 80 sheets of 4x6) and I have been very pleased with the
results. The first set of cartridges didn't last very long and I think it
comes with cartridges that are not full. The second set is what I have
printed all my photos with and I'm at about 40% on the black and 45-55% on
the colors. We also have a HP all-in-one and when it prints you can just
hear it suck up the inkg I have been very happy with the 340 except for
one thing: The draft mode is pretty much useless, it is so faint that it
makes everything difficult to read. The draft mode on the 2200 is an order
of magnitude denser.

--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas