How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one's copyright?

Old October 12th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one'scopyright?

On 10/10/2017 01:06 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:33:47 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.photo.digital, on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 01:29:22 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 21:35:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:51:25 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 9, 2017, micky wrote
(in ):

How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I seriously doubt that you will have much protection if you use Instagram, or
Imgur regardless of what might be stated in their terms of service. Using
ether of those and you are effectively surrendering any rights you might
hold.

https://help.instagram.com/478745558852511

https://imgur.com/tos

Flickr, and other sites such as Smugmug probably afford you better protection
of your rights, but that does not mean that they will not be vulnerable to
image poachers.

https://www.flickr.com/services/api/tos/

The protection in SmugMug is up to the user. When I create a gallery
I check off a number of preferences in "Settings". One of them is in
"Photo Protection" and it allows me to enable or disable "Downloads".

While I allow downloads, I'm under no illusion that disabling
downloads would totally prevent anyone from grabbing my photo. I
don't watermark

By watermark, you're including both dim images and clearly-visible ones?

By "watermark" I mean adding anything intended to prevent someone from
being able to use the photo as shot. It's usually done in digital
images by superimposing some image - either just diagonal lines, text,
or a design - over the original image and reducing the opacity of the
layer.

The term comes from the paper industry, not from photography, and has
been done since the 11th Century. Watermarks were originally produced
by stamping the paper when it was still wet in the manufacturing
process so the resulting change in the thickness of the paper created
a shadow image.

I wondered how they did that.

When you held up a sheet of good quality paper to the
light you'd see "20% Rag Content" as a watermark.

Back when it was popular to have studio portraits taken, the studio
would provide a selection of photos and the customer would choose
which ones to print and at what size to print them. The photos in the
selection would have PROOF in large letters on each selection so you'd
have to pay them for a print without that. That was functionally a
watermark.

I remember those days. Was it before that or after that that the
proofs would fade away, I guess because they didn't use fixer.

In the old days (perhaps as late as the 1970's), there was a product
called "Printing Out Paper" I don't have the details, but basically this
paper was designed to provide an image with no chemicals. The paper was
contact printed under a UV light (or sunlight). The image was really
very good, but not permanent. Maybe six months under normal room lighting.

Now, I watch one TV court show and suits between brides and
photographers are not rare, often when the photographer is an amateur
trying to become a pro. But I don't think any cases involve
watermarks.

On one "People's Court" episode, the judge really needed to review
copyright law!
There is a copyright that exists when an image is fixed in a permanent
and tangible form. There is a registered copyright when the image is
submitted to the US Copyright office. If someone violates your
copyright, you can sue for damages. If someone violates your registered
copyright, you can sue for punitive damages.

When I was running my studio, I filed monthly contact sheets of my work
as a collection.

or add a copyright text line to my photographs,
either.

If some stranger wants to appropriate one of my photos, I don't give a
rat's ass. If he can't do better than I can on my own, he needs all
the help he can get.

As I worked on this thread, I realized that it would be great if any of
them got recirculated, and all I want is my father's name or mine, the
month, and the year in a corner of the picture. Which is the best
corner?=

Just add text to photograph that identifies you or the subject and the
date taken. Locate it anywhere on the photo where it is not
intrusive.

If you don't have Photoshop, the free FastStone Image Viewer (
http://www.faststone.org/ ) allows you to add text in caption form to
a photograph using the Draw Board. The caption is then embedded in
the photo.

Thanks. I'll try it.

I just did this in FastStone as a demo.
https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...O/ABC-1942.jpg

That is me, but I have no idea what the kitten's name was, but you
seem to like "Fluffy" so I used that.

Fluffy is a good name for a kitten. I'd forgotten that you lived in
Indiapolis, where I lived from age 10 to 18. You're also older than I
am, I see. (I'm 70.)

Yup. Broad Ripple and Broad Ripple High School. David Letterman, who
recently attended the Colts game that Pence walked out on, also
attended BRHS, but several years later.

I'm not sure that photo was taken in 1942. I tried to estimate my
age, and I was born in 1938 so that's close. Some family snapshots
are stamp dated on the back, but not all of them.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 12th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

wrote:

[...]

I'm not too surprised. She also seems sometimes to misunderstand the
explanation give, or the timeline. I try to assume that if I saw the
unabridged video, she would make more sense on those occasion.

But I still like her better than any other court shows, none of which I
watch.

There is a copyright that exists when an image is fixed in a permanent
and tangible form. There is a registered copyright when the image is
submitted to the US Copyright office. If someone violates your
copyright, you can sue for damages. If someone violates your registered
copyright, you can sue for punitive damages.

How about pain and suffering!

[...]

I went to summer school there one summer, Took economics.

I'm not sure that photo was taken in 1942. I tried to estimate my
age, and I was born in 1938 so that's close. Some family snapshots
are stamp dated on the back, but not all of them.

So you're just 2 years older than my brother.