Hummers This Year

Old August 11th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Hummers This Year

On 8/11/2017 9:38 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1kxwe2l7...7f6xJt-9a?dl=1

Impressive job. It would be nice to catch them at
flowers. The garish red and yellow plastic is distracting.

We have one here in Boston. I'm afraid the male
may have been killed. In the past we've had a
couple. The female flits around the deck planters
and beebalm, but never long enough to catch a shot:
"Look, there's... never mind."
And they're rare here. The first time I ever saw one,
I saw many. Not so far from you, in a National Forest
campground outside Burbank.

We used to have a hummingbird sanctuary. An individual set up plants to
attract the hummers. The technique was to pre-focus on a plant, and hope
the hummer came to the plant you focused on. of course Murphy applied in
full. This was on his private property, and visitors were invited
guests. Sadly, some A-holes would trespass on the neighboring property,
and block the neighbors driveways,m so he is no longer allowed to invite
the public.

--
PeterN
Old August 11th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-08-11 12:34:17 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Friday, 11 August 2017 11:33:47 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 11, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 11 August 2017 04:48:59 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
No sooner do you find a place at the feeder some thug comes along and picks
fight.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1kxwe2l7wuzxqh/AABL17iHoLi_DtRx7f6xJt-9a?dl=0
http://tinyurl.com/ydf9v6f6

Nice, but have yuo ever considered doing a small movie/video of this sort of
event as I believ thaqt would show this incedent more accurtley than still
photos.
I know some photographers dislike video to capture a moment as it's
cheating...

You just have to have an iPhone handy.

yuo do have video on your fuji don't you.

Yes, 4K and I should use that feature. However, the iPhone is simple to
use to make a video snippet which is easy to share.

https://adobe.ly/2aAZPdN
After the page opens go to full screen by clicking on the icon on the bottom
right of the video tool bar.

I downloaded it in the end as I kept getting sorry ... errors probaly
to do with 'my ened'

But wow you certainly have a lot of hummers, I'd thought you just had
the odd few visiting.

I have over 100 feeding from dawn to early evening. That means I am
going through 10-25 Lbs of sugar per week.

Fascinating nhow they can just hover, I doubb my 240fps iphone would
show much of how the wings were beating/flapping.

With my iPhone 6S+ I have made a few videos where I have been able to
slow the action down.

Savageduck

Old August 11th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-08-11 16:06:43 +0000, PeterN
said:

On 8/10/2017 11:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
No sooner do you find a place at the feeder some thug comes along and picks a
fight.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1kxwe2l7wuzxqh/AABL17iHoLi_DtRx7f6xJt-9a?dl=0
http://tinyurl.com/ydf9v6f6

The series tells a nice story. Hummers are indeed highly territorial. I
wish your feeders and that light diagonal line did not dominate the
images. I would like to have seen more of the hummers.

Take a look at the video I posted.
That will tell you more with regard to my Hummingbird hunting grounds
and shooting environment.

Savageduck

Old August 12th 17, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 12/08/2017 2:13 @wiz, PeterN wrote:
I took this one back in 2007:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...20argument.jpg

I call it "Marriage..."

Here is another image on that same theme, with a different title:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sie2dbxqa38581/Henpecked.jpg?dl=0

Precious!

Old August 12th 17, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 11/08/2017 9:25 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1kxwe2l7wuzxqh/AABL17iHoLi_DtRx7f6xJt-9a?dl=0
http://tinyurl.com/ydf9v6f6

Excellent! Particularly the last one, with them facing each other!

The shooting problem is, they move so unpredictably and fast. Take a look at
the video to get an illustration of just how tough it is to make a capture of
them in flight.

Indeed. Always difficult to catch these hyper-active birds!
Around here the Superb Fairy Wren is incredibly difficult to catch in a
photo: they stop moving for all of a 1/4 sec at most!
Lovely little buggers, but sooooo hard to take a photo of:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...favourite-bird
I've only managed about half a dozen good shots of the little pests,
despite the fact they are all around the wetlands area where I live!
They never stop!

I took this one back in 2007:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...20argument.jpg

I call it "Marriage..."

Nice!

Thanks! Totally lucky shot, taken with a very old AF-D 70-210 Nikkor.
I was trying to get the one on the left while it was sitting quiet and
then suddenly the other one arrived and made a terrible fuss!
I just had time to push the trigger and hope like crazy the AF caught
them reasonably in focus!

Those look like Barn, or Cliff Swallows, or an Aussie variety of Swallow.

They are all over the place in Spring. A lot of folks here call them
swifts, but they look exactly the same as European swallows, so I call
them that!