Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to another inLinux?

Old October 15th 14, 10:24 AM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Is there a way to COPY EXIF information from one JPG to anotherin Linux?

Tourgueniev wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 01:23:33 +0000, Parko wrote:

You could also try exiv2. Command line tool, so it may not suit you if
you're all gooey like any other creative type. Check your distro's repos
if its not installed by default.

I'm doing ok, so far, with the first suggestion, which was exiftool.

At the moment, it moved all the exif tags from one photo to the next,
but the problem now are the 4 problematic tags:
File Size : 100 kB
Exif Image Width : 480
Exif Image Height : 640
Image Size : 480x640

As you saw, in a previous post, easy to take care of... :-)

Googling for how to change exif data on linux, I found these examples:
http://dimitar.me/change-the-date-an...s-with-ubuntu/

This resets the dates to whatever you want them to be:
exiftool -AllDates='2014:10:10 15:35:33' -overwrite_original new.jpg

Testing that syntax with the 4 obvious exif tags above, I tried this:
$ ls -l new.jpg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 67160 Oct 14 23:40 new.jpg

exiftool -File Size='67160' -overwrite_original new.jpg
But I apparently need to work on the syntax a little bit.

If that would work, it would be, with no spaces in the
tag name.

exiftool -filesize='67160' new.jpg

Arguments are not case sensitive, but of course cannot
have whitespace. Use the -s option(s) to see
unambiguous tag names with no whitespace.

But the file size is not a tag (use the -G option to see
tag groups), it's just telling you what the actual
file size is, and you can't change that with exiftool.

The same happens with the image pixel dimensions, which
will always be determined empirically.

An example of a tougher problem is keeping the
Orientation tag correct. If you rotate an image in an
editor and write it out, the tag may still be for the
original image and will not be correct.

There may be other values that work, but I'm sure of these:

-orientation="rotate 90 cw"
-orientation="rotate 90"

-orientation="rotate 180"

-orientation="rotate 270 cw"
-orientation="rotate 270"

-orientation="normal"
-orientation="horizontal"
-orientation="horizontal (normal)"

Of course there is no way for a program to determine if
it is actually horizontal or a 180 degree rotation, and
the same with 90 and 270.

Since the image pixel dimensions are determined from the
file itself, not from a tag, it is always safe to use
those to calculate what the orientation flag should be.

Here's test script that shows some ways around a couple
pitfalls.

------ start of script ------
#/bin/bash

file="new.jpg"

height="$(exiftool -s -s -imageheight ${file} | cut -d' ' -f2)"
width="$( exiftool -s -s -imagewidth ${file} | cut -d ' ' -f2)"

echo "${width} W x ${height} H"

tagorient="horizontal" # default

#
# Send stderr to /dev/null to avoid seeing thr error if values are not digits
#
# ${result} will be:
# 0 landscape oriented image
# 1 portrait oriented image
# 2 invalid arguments, not digits
#
test "${height}" -gt "${width}" 2/dev/null; result="${?}"

if [ "${result}" -eq 0 ] ; then
tagorient="rotate 90"
fi

if [ "${result}" -gt 1 ] ; then
echo "Either height (${height}) or (${width}) is invalid."
exit 1
fi

exiftool -orientation="${tagorient}" "${file}"

echo "orientation tag will be: $tagorient"

exiftool -orientation "${file}"
echo "Exit status of exiftool: ${?}"
exit 0
------ end of script ------

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 15th 14, 02:02 PM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Tourgueniev

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 01:24:11 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

But the file size is not a tag (use the -G option to see
tag groups), it's just telling you what the actual
file size is, and you can't change that with exiftool.

I'm just slowly realizing that not everthing spit out by the
basic exiftool command (or viewed in an EXIF editor) is an exif tag.

Using the -G option, it looks like the groups (with an example) a
[File] File Size : 65 kB
[EXIF] Exif Image Width : 392
[MakerNotes] HDR Image Type : Original Image
[XMP] XMP Toolkit : Image::ExifTool 9.46
[Composite] Image Size : 392x600

It's odd that the same thing (e.g., image size) is repeated over
and over again in the EXIF tags.

Old October 15th 14, 04:45 PM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

I am just curious as to why you want to copy EXIF?

Old October 15th 14, 09:49 PM posted to alt.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Usenet Account wrote:
I am just curious as to why you want to copy EXIF?

Some editors don't copy all of the Exif (note that it is
not "EXIF") data. Also there is different data in RAW
files that is not in the JPEG.

But the main reason is to add or correct data in fields
such as comments, copyright, and so on. Another is to
fix lens identification tags... There are just a number
of little reasons.

Old October 16th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/16/2014 6:31 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 October 2014 16:45:50 UTC+1, Usenet Account wrote:
I am just curious as to why you want to copy EXIF?

--

Yes I've been wondering that.

My comment is a lot less subtle. Considering who the poster is, the
reason should be obvious.

--
PeterN