Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

Old May 8th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?

---

Old May 8th 17, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Wally
wrote:

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image.

you're not throwing away anything.

On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

then keep the camera.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?

do you find the 7d2 limiting in any way? if not, then a new camera
isn't going to make much of a difference. it could be worse, given that
you like the pixel density and burst speed of what you have now.

---

not only is a usenet post not email, but your sig delimiter is invalid.

a sig delimiter should be two dashes and a space, not 3 dashes.

you should also remove avast entirely because it *causes* problems:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...567/Avast.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30303...r-finds-seriou
s-flaw-in-chromium-based-avast-safezone-browser.html
Old May 8th 17, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

---

not only is a usenet post not email, but your sig delimiter is invalid.

a sig delimiter should be two dashes and a space, not 3 dashes.

True.

you should also remove avast entirely because it *causes* problems:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...567/Avast.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30303...r-finds-seriou
s-flaw-in-chromium-based-avast-safezone-browser.html

Using Avast is volunteering to put all your mail through information
sifting a gate keeper in Prague, Czechia. YMMV...
--
teleportation kills
http://www.giroditalia.it/it/live/
Old May 8th 17, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Wally wrote:

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?

Are you unhappy with your pictures? Most bird photogs are into heavy
cropping regardless of APS-C vs FF...
Old May 8th 17, 11:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger[_10_]

"Wally" wrote in message
Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?

Hello Wally.
My preference is to be happy with my present camera unless /until it can't
do what I want.
For example, I've changed from a camera with average and selective metering
to one that also had spot metering. The fastest speed isn't used a lot but
does mean that I get the photo I want, rather than almost getting it.

Regards, Roger.

Old May 9th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Wally:

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?

Firstly, how can anyone say what is right for you?

That aside, if you want a full-frame camera you obviously cannot stick
with your 7D. If you have EF-S lenses and want to save money you stick
with the 7D; those lenses will not fit the 5D/6D. The 7D is a good
camera, used by plenty of pros. If you're getting good results with it
(and you definitely should be) and you don't care about the smaller
sensor, stick with it.

I have a 6D and 5D Mark III and a 5D Mark IV. Sometimes I want a
lighter camera and I use the 6D. Often I use a tripod and I am more
likely to grab the 5D. It's quite hefty with the battery grip
installed. And recently I bought an M5 with the 18-150 and the 28mm
macro. It's an incredible camera at its size point.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33826784322/

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old May 9th 17, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Mon, 08 May 2017 21:55:26 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Wally:

[...]

Thanks to all who responded. I agree with everything you guys said.

I'm quite happy with the 7D2. But I have some spare cash in the bank
and was thinking how I might spend it. From what I can see, FF is not
going to give me much benefit. But hey, maybe I was overlooking
something. So I thought I would see if I could raise some ideas.

But your responses confirm that I should keep the money and stick with
what I have.

It might not have been so. A few years ago I was shooting macro with a
Canon 70-300mm zoom and a 500D closeup lens. I was getting darn good
results with it too. But I had some cash and decided to get the 100mm
L. And it was significantly better than the old rig. So sometimes one
can overlook something and miss out.

And that's why I thought I would ask my question about possibly moving
up to FF.

---

Old May 9th 17, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Wally wrote:

[...]

http://www.cameraegg.org/rumors-eos-...t-in-july-rele
ased-in-august/
Old May 9th 17, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Wally
wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. I agree with everything you guys said.

I'm quite happy with the 7D2. But I have some spare cash in the bank
and was thinking how I might spend it. From what I can see, FF is not
going to give me much benefit. But hey, maybe I was overlooking
something. So I thought I would see if I could raise some ideas.

spend it on a trip to take more photos.

But your responses confirm that I should keep the money and stick with
what I have.

yep.

It might not have been so. A few years ago I was shooting macro with a
Canon 70-300mm zoom and a 500D closeup lens. I was getting darn good
results with it too. But I had some cash and decided to get the 100mm
L. And it was significantly better than the old rig. So sometimes one
can overlook something and miss out.

there's a big difference between a true macro lens and using a closeup
lens on a zoom lens, a non-ideal combination.

And that's why I thought I would ask my question about possibly moving
up to FF.

---

you still haven't fixed your sig delimiter.

two dashes and a space, then return.
Old May 9th 17, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Wally
wrote:

[---]
---

you still haven't fixed your sig delimiter.

two dashes and a space, then return.

That's probably an Avast provided sig...