Requesting a Critique

Old October 10th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris

Default Requesting a Critique

Have a look, and feel free to comment.

Old October 10th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a look, and feel free to comment.

It's a nice shot, but the background is a distraction. A more shallow depth
of field would have helped. You can selectively blur the background with
Photoshop or many other photo editors.

Also, play around with cropping. I'd guess that this shot will benefit
significantly.

Old October 10th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris

Charles Schuler wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a look, and feel free to comment.

It's a nice shot, but the background is a distraction. A more shallow depth
of field would have helped. You can selectively blur the background with
Photoshop or many other photo editors.

Also, play around with cropping. I'd guess that this shot will benefit
significantly.

I agree, that would be my observation if I self critique.

Old October 10th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Charles Schuler wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a look, and feel free to comment.

It's a nice shot, but the background is a distraction. A more shallow depth
of field would have helped. You can selectively blur the background with
Photoshop or many other photo editors.

Also, play around with cropping. I'd guess that this shot will benefit
significantly.

Exactly. Crop it tighter on the top - crop out the distracting elements
behind the couch. Makes the image more powerful;. Nice.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Old October 10th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Charles Schuler wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a look, and feel free to comment.

It's a nice shot, but the background is a distraction. A more
shallow depth of field would have helped. You can selectively blur
the background with Photoshop or many other photo editors.

Also, play around with cropping. I'd guess that this shot will
benefit significantly.

Exactly. Crop it tighter on the top - crop out the distracting
elements behind the couch. Makes the image more powerful;. Nice.

Yes, and I hope she's feeling better.

--
Frank ess

Old October 10th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris

Ok, here it is after a little re-touch.

Old October 10th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SJ

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, here it is after a little re-touch.

Seems almost too much use of blur. I would crop almost to her left arm,
maybe 2-3 inches. Also, is it possible to blur gradually? Otherwise, I
think fantastic contrast with the couch and blanket, brilliant.

Old October 10th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Chris wrote:
Ok, here it is after a little re-touch.

I would like a wider image but without the objects in the background.
Perhaps stamp them with the black to obliterate them - the blanket
helps tell the story, too, so I think you should have more of it in the
shot. (The blur is too distracting.) I also added a fake catch light
to the eye.

How is this... http://tinyurl.com/hfwzd

Hope this helps.

Old October 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Chris wrote:
Ok, here it is after a little re-touch.

Nope! The blur is too extreme, and the sofa is still way too distracting.
I'd re-shoot her lying on a white rug or similar very simple background.
If you want to use that picture you will have to carefully select the
girl and blanket (Photoshop or similar) and put her on another
background of your choice.
Bob Williams

Old October 10th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 10/9/06 7:28 PM, in article ,
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:

Charles Schuler wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a look, and feel free to comment.

It's a nice shot, but the background is a distraction. A more shallow depth
of field would have helped. You can selectively blur the background with
Photoshop or many other photo editors.

Also, play around with cropping. I'd guess that this shot will benefit
significantly.

Exactly. Crop it tighter on the top - crop out the distracting elements
behind the couch. Makes the image more powerful;. Nice.

Not to mention the black blurry thing in the middle of the right side frame
edge...