Nice photo...but...

Old November 22nd 05, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Nice photo...but...

Isn't it annoying when you capture a nice image...but it has a small
annoying element that distracts?

I really like my shot of this little horned guy...that I spotted while
(believe it or not) driving 55 miles per hour on the highway...

-But what to do with the annoying green blob??

I like the blurred flowers that partially obscure his little face, but I
hate the middle lower green thing.
Any suggestions?

Here's the shot:
http://www.pbase.com/image/52606799/original

BTW--There is plenty of color and detail on his neck (behind his head) but
monitors with poor shadow detail will miss it...

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
-Mark

Old November 22nd 05, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:08:13 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

Isn't it annoying when you capture a nice image...but it has a small
annoying element that distracts?

I really like my shot of this little horned guy...that I spotted while
(believe it or not) driving 55 miles per hour on the highway...

-But what to do with the annoying green blob??

I like the blurred flowers that partially obscure his little face, but I
hate the middle lower green thing.
Any suggestions?

Here's the shot:
http://www.pbase.com/image/52606799/original

BTW--There is plenty of color and detail on his neck (behind his head) but
monitors with poor shadow detail will miss it...

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
-Mark

I haven't seen a horned toad in nearly 40 years.. They used to be
everywhere here in North Texas..
Where did you see it??

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com
Old November 22nd 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Isn't it annoying when you capture a nice image...but it has a small
annoying element that distracts?

I really like my shot of this little horned guy...that I spotted while
(believe it or not) driving 55 miles per hour on the highway...

-But what to do with the annoying green blob??

I like the blurred flowers that partially obscure his little face, but I
hate the middle lower green thing.
Any suggestions?

Here's the shot:
http://www.pbase.com/image/52606799/original

BTW--There is plenty of color and detail on his neck (behind his head) but
monitors with poor shadow detail will miss it...

My initial reaction, without even looking at the picture, was, "Learn how to
use Photoshop". After looking at it twice, I'd be more inclined to say,
"Live with it, it shows the whole environment in which it lives."

Of course, neither are probably what you're looking for.

Norm

Old November 22nd 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Norm Dresner wrote:
[...]

You're right...with that last statement...
I know how to use Photoshop.
That's not the problem.
I just wonder how others might deal with the blob, since there are various
things that could be done.

Old November 22nd 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

number wrote:

Isn't it annoying when you capture a nice image...but it has a small
annoying element that distracts?

I really like my shot of this little horned guy...that I spotted
while (believe it or not) driving 55 miles per hour on the highway...

-But what to do with the annoying green blob??

I like the blurred flowers that partially obscure his little face,
but I hate the middle lower green thing.
Any suggestions?

Here's the shot:
http://www.pbase.com/image/52606799/original

BTW--There is plenty of color and detail on his neck (behind his
head) but monitors with poor shadow detail will miss it...

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
-Mark

I haven't seen a horned toad in nearly 40 years.. They used to be
everywhere here in North Texas..
Where did you see it??

This wasn't TOO far from you.
It was very near the Texas border of New Mexico.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Some cropping to remove the overall distracting background then
desaturate the greens so they are just innocuous gray blobs.

MarkČ wrote:

Isn't it annoying when you capture a nice image...but it has a small
annoying element that distracts?

I really like my shot of this little horned guy...that I spotted while
(believe it or not) driving 55 miles per hour on the highway...

-But what to do with the annoying green blob??

I like the blurred flowers that partially obscure his little face, but I
hate the middle lower green thing.
Any suggestions?

Here's the shot:
http://www.pbase.com/image/52606799/original

BTW--There is plenty of color and detail on his neck (behind his head) but
monitors with poor shadow detail will miss it...

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
-Mark

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Old November 23rd 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:

Norm Dresner wrote:

[...]

What you could have done was change your point of view while shooting;
move a little more to your right and up a little so you're looking down
and more from the front. Don't know if he'd have stood still for that,
and I expect it's a little late to re-shoot.

OTOH, this is a good "first" shot, the one you take so you've got
something if he runs away. As long as he'd stay there, I'd have kept
shooting, moving & reframing.

Old November 23rd 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Some files just beg to be deleted.

Old November 23rd 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

no_name wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

Norm Dresner wrote:

[...]

Yes. That would be the most obvious things...
....But this was one of those get the shot while you can.
A split second after this shot, he ran away.

move a little more to your right and up a little so you're looking
down and more from the front. Don't know if he'd have stood still for
that, and I expect it's a little late to re-shoot.

I have some other shots of him like that, that I took moments before, but
the lighting was crummy.
Oh well.
It's just a horny toad...after all... But the detail in the full-res image
is actually pretty fantastic.
I think he looks like a mini dinosaur...

OTOH, this is a good "first" shot, the one you take so you've got
something if he runs away. As long as he'd stay there, I'd have kept
shooting, moving & reframing.

While it wasn't the *first* shot...that is exactly what happened.
He got into what I knew was a great pose/position, and I took it as quickly
(and carefully) as I could. And--like you say, the moment was quickly gone.

It's not like it's a big deal... I just think it's interesting sometimes to
see/hear how others approach a specific issue in an image. I appreciate the
input you and others have offered. Thank you.
-Mark