Use of Filters on REAR Lens thread

Old October 15th 05, 12:34 AM
Mark McGilvray

Default Use of Filters on REAR Lens thread

Does anyone have experience using screw on filters on the REAR lens thread.
I am asking this because (yes, I'm a cheapskate) I would like to use some
smaller filters I own on lenses with headlight size objectives. I do know
enough to check that the filter cannot reach and damage the rear lens
element and intend to shoot some experiments, but that will have to wait a
few days. Thanks.

Old October 15th 05, 03:01 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Mark McGilvray" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience using screw on filters on the
REAR lens thread. I am asking this because (yes, I'm a
cheapskate) I would like to use some smaller filters I own
on lenses with headlight size objectives. I do know enough
to check that the filter cannot reach and damage the rear
lens element and intend to shoot some experiments, but
that will have to wait a few days. Thanks.

The filter can not damage the lens and this technique is
used pretty frequently. However, at least in principle, the
filter can degrade the image when used on the back of the
lens. This is because the light from the lens to the film is
convergent. When light which is convergent or divergent goes
through a flat block it is deviated adding chromatic and
spherical aberration. The effect depends on the angle of the
light, the thickness of the material, and its index of
refraction and dispersion. The best filters for this use are
gelatin filters. They are thin and gelatin is a relatively
low index of refraction.
When used on the front of a lens for pictorial work the
object is effectively at infinity. The light rays are
parallel when they enter the filter, so there is no
deviation. This is true down to perhaps 10X the focal length
of the lens and certainly down to about 20X.
In practice the filter may make no visible difference but
it should be tested. Since a parallel block can introduce
oblique aberrations check the corners of the image.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 15th 05, 12:50 PM
Bob Salomon

In article . net,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

You left out the more obvious focus shift = 1/3 the thickness of the
filter when it is behind the lens and the possibility that dust,
smudges, etc may start to come in focus on the back.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old October 15th 05, 12:59 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"Mark McGilvray" wrote:

using screw on filters on the REAR lens thread.
I am asking this because (yes, I'm a cheapskate)

You must be to spend money on film and take your time to shoot that film
not to mention load and process that film to take images with a filter
in the back and then intentionally put the filter on the back to degrade
the image you shoot to save a couple of bucks on the filter.

Unless the lens was made to accept interior or rear filters the filter
will degrade the image and create a focus shift. In addition filters
behind the lens offer no protection for the front element to protect it
from dust, snow, rain, fingerprints, overzealous lens cleaning, etc.

But you do save a penny or two - probably more as if you are this frugal
you probably are not buying good quality filters in the first place.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old October 15th 05, 01:04 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article . net,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

If the camera is focused with the filter on, that type of focus shift should
be eliminated.

^^-^^ 08:00:00 up 6 days, 6:21, 4 users, load average: 4.36, 4.30, 4.25
Old October 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

If the camera is focused with the filter on, that type of focus shift should
be eliminated.

But not image degradation. And it does nothing to protect the front
element. And if the lens shifts focus as the aperture changes and you
don't refocus you may still have a shift.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old October 15th 05, 02:01 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article ,
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

If the camera is focused with the filter on, that type of focus shift should
be eliminated.

But not image degradation. And it does nothing to protect the front
element. And if the lens shifts focus as the aperture changes and you
don't refocus you may still have a shift.

True enough. But if the lens is stopped down, you may have less trouble with
flare caused by the filter if the filter is behind the lens installed behind
the lens. But I am splitting hairs, obviously.

^^-^^ 09:00:00 up 6 days, 7:21, 3 users, load average: 4.08, 4.17, 4.21
Old October 15th 05, 03:14 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

But if the lens is stopped down, you may have less trouble with
flare caused by the filter

So you would possibly stop down enough to further degrad the image from
diffraction.

And good filters don't flare. The SH-PMC coatings that Heliopan uses on
their SH-PMC filters pass 99.9% of the light striking it to the lens.
That is less flare then the typical camera lens coating and equals or
betters most MC on modern lenses. Plus this coating repels moisture,
dust and water to further improve the image.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old October 15th 05, 04:37 PM
Mark McGilvray

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Thank you , Richard, this is exactly the information I wanted.