Does anyone dare to take his hassy on a 7 day mountainbike trip ?

Old March 10th 04, 12:04 PM
Philippe Lauwers

Default Does anyone dare to take his hassy on a 7 day mountainbike trip ?

Old March 10th 04, 03:18 PM
jjs

Of course. Why not? You only live once. Use it.
Old March 11th 04, 08:27 PM
Philippe Lauwers

I'm a little bit worried about what could happen when I crash. Any
suggestions on the safest way to carry such camera on a (mountain)-bike ?

"jjs" schreef in bericht

Of course. Why not? You only live once. Use it.

Old March 11th 04, 09:39 PM
Joe Pucillo

Wasn't it Philippe Lauwers who said...
I'm a little bit worried about what could happen when I crash.

Wear a helmet.

Any suggestions on the safest way to carry such camera on
a (mountain)-bike ?

Insured.

Seriously, use a backpack, and keep your lens in a padded case
(and maybe keep the padded case in a padded box - if you have the
original box, that would be ideal.) Just don't keep the lens
mounted to the camera body while in motion. You should be fine.

--
Joe Pucillo
Baltimore, Maryland USA

To reply by email, please remove the .xx
Old March 11th 04, 10:59 PM
Philippe Lauwers

OK thanks, I'll see if I can find the necessary stuff (i.e. a padded case)
by next week (when I'm taking off). Otherwise, I'll have to go for the
insurance ;-)

Do you reckon it would be safe to keep it in a bag attached to the handlebar
? It's much easier to get access to the camera I think ?

Of course, I could use my helmet to protect the camera instead of my head.
Did you ever see those commercials comparing two watermelons falling from 10
ft. ? One was wearing a helmet, the other wasn't ... should be safe enough I
guess :-|

Philippe

"Joe Pucillo" schreef in bericht
k.net...

Old March 11th 04, 11:12 PM
Philippe Lauwers

"Lourens Smak" schreef in bericht
In article t,
Joe Pucillo wrote:

Seriously, use a backpack, and keep your lens in a padded case
(and maybe keep the padded case in a padded box - if you have the
original box, that would be ideal.) Just don't keep the lens
mounted to the camera body while in motion. You should be fine.

Carrying a hasselblad in a backpack is a good way to make sure you have
a spinal injury with a serious crash, you don't have to land back-first
on a treetrunk anymore. I would advise against it.

I think maybe one of those handlebar-bags (with LOTS of padding added)
would be best, esp. if the bike has front shock-absorbing like some
have. This spot would also protect the camera reasonably well when the
bike falls to the ground with the bag on it. Hope the weight doesn't
affect the steering too much.

Lourens

That's another thing I haven't thought about ... vibrations and shocks when
traversing rough terrain. I have the impression Hasselblad advices to keep
and carry your camera with all the springs (I guess you call this state
'loaded') under tension, because the tension keeps all camera-parts in the
most stable position. Of course they don't talk about mountainbiking.
Should I really detach the lens from the camera ? And if so, why ? Or can I
just follow the same advice they give for walking with your camera ?

Philippe

Old March 11th 04, 11:13 PM
jjs

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
I'm a little bit worried about what could happen when I crash. Any
suggestions on the safest way to carry such camera on a (mountain)-bike ?

"jjs" schreef in bericht

Of course. Why not? You only live once. Use it.

It doesn't matter what camera you crash with. They all break.

Old March 11th 04, 11:15 PM
Philippe Lauwers

"jjs" schreef in bericht

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
I'm a little bit worried about what could happen when I crash. Any
suggestions on the safest way to carry such camera on a (mountain)-bike

?

"jjs" schreef in bericht

Of course. Why not? You only live once. Use it.

It doesn't matter what camera you crash with. They all break.

even a blad ? ;-)

Old March 11th 04, 11:16 PM
Philippe Lauwers

even a blad ? ;-)

I want my money back !!! ;-)

Old March 11th 04, 11:27 PM
-

Do you reckon it would be safe to keep it in a bag attached to the
handlebar
? It's much easier to get access to the camera I think ?

I thought this post was a joke at first You cannot be seriously thinking
about taking a precision mechanical instrument like this at attaching in a
bag to the handlebars. I have worn watches without moving parts that have
not survived a long afternoon of mountain biking due to the shocks and
vibrations. A Hassy won't hold up any better. Although it would be less
jarring for the camera to put the camera in your backpack, as the other
poster said, wearing it on your back is not safe either in case you do an
endo.

Just my $.02,

Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film: