Scanning Resolution

Old June 20th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Default Scanning Resolution

thankyou wrote:
If anyone has a suggestion on scanner resolutions I’d appreciate the
help. I’m sort of up against time on this project, so, excuse me if
this question has an easy answer that I have not thought through.

I have a $50 HP Scanner, I want to scan photo prints (3x5, 4x6) to
enlarge (possibly crop) up to maybe 24 x 18.

The only thing I know about scanning is, if you set the dpi higher it
takes more time to scan and the file size is larger (sort of joking
here).

What resolution do you suggest? Can I get some help with the math
again?

If I’m trying for a 24 x18 print at 300 dpi then the pixel size
“should” be, 7200 x 5400.

If the above is correct, how does the 7200 x 5400 translate to my
scanning a 3x5 or 4x6?

HP suggests scanning photos at 250 ppi. Depending on the
quality of the print being scanned, I sometimes scan at 300
ppi. A higher dpi setting doesn't collect more information
from the print, and it can pick up small imperfections.
Old June 20th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Claudio Bonavolta

thankyou wrote:
Right!

Why is the Nikon Coolscan 5000 rated "only" 4000 dpi true optical
resolution and the Costco at 7200 dpi x 3600 dpi?

Thanks again John.

Because some low-end manufacturers are *very* optimistic with their specs.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch
Old June 21st 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

thankyou wrote:
Would this be a good option?

Would a negative scaner from Costco work?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Thanks, Jon

Most scanners and printer-scanner combos come equipped to
scan negatives, including touch-up software. And the
prices are about the same, or even less.
Old June 21st 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

thankyou wrote:
Also, with the PrimeFilm PF7250u from Costco
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...03&whse=BC&top...

Would I be able to get a file large enough to enlarge a print up to 24
x 18?

Thanks again,
Jon

You can print at any size you want, but the resolution will
never be better than in the original. You seem to have a
poster in mind. Posters aren't meant to be viewed close-up,
so the resolution doesn't have to be great.