4 x 5 Tri-X tray development

Old July 10th 04, 12:55 PM
Louie Powell

Default 4 x 5 Tri-X tray development

"Matt Ashbrook" wrote in
news:6q0Hc.40364$MB3.39183@attbi_s04:

When tray developing Tri-X, what size tray, what quantity of
developer, and how many sheets at one time is recommended. I'll be
using HC-110 dil B or D-76.

Thanks,
Matt A.

Matt:

I use trays for 4x5 - and find that 6 is about the largest number of
sheets that I want to do at a time. I've done more, but I'm more
comfortable with six or fewer.

Its generally recommended that you use trays that are larger than the film
sixe. I use 5x7 trays for my entire processing sequence. I've tried 4x5
trays - that's OK for a single sheet, but it's too hard to life a sheet
out for agitation if you are doing multiple sheets in small trays. I've
also used 8x10 trays - but I prefer 5x7 since the sheets don't "wander
around" in the tray and instead remain in a fairly neat stack.

My darkroom was calibrated for 35mm using a Durst tank. So I have a
graduate that I've marked for the amount of HC110 concentrate (the stock
concentrate, not the syrup)for one or two rolls of 35mm in dilution B. If
I'm doing only one or two sheets, I will mix up a "one roll" batch of
HC110. Otherwise, I mix up a "two roll" batch. Not scientific, but it
works for me. Obviously, I use the developer as a one-shot.

I always presoak my film, and I believe that is a critical stap. I remove
the film from the holders and place it in a spare box for holding while I
mix the chemicals. Then, with the lights off, I transfer sheets, one at a
time, into the presoak bath and agitate for 15 - 20 seconds. It is
critical to get each sheet thoroughly wetted before adding another sheet
to the stack. If this is not done properly, the sheets will stick
together (ruining the film). Incidentally, the risk of ruined film is
another reason to limit the number of sheets processed at a time - its
call risk management!

I process face down. This is a controversial point - but my experience is
that the greatest risk of scratching film comes when you add a sheet to
the stack - the leading edge of the film will scratch the sheet below it
if the emulsion is face up. But if the emulsion is face down (asuming
that the bottom of the tray does not have any burrs that can scratch),
then the risk of scratching is minimal (but not non-existent).

Final point - I always wear latex or vinyl gloves when tray processing.
I've never had an allergy problem, but there's no reason to take
unnecessary chances. Furthermore, gloves minimize the risk of damaging
film (fingernails are sharp!).