Scanning MF

Old December 19th 05, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Scanning MF

You can rent time on an Imacon 848 at Beth Schiffer labs on Broadway
for $50/hour. I went there last week and scanned about 6 or 7 negs at
a size of about 300MB each in two hours. I could have gone faster, but
had some problem negs.

They also have regular color darkrooms and onsite film developing.

Old December 20th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Really OT: NYC regrets

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message news:greg-

I remember a trip to NYC when I was a novice traveler there where
by I spent a 20 spot on OJ and a bagel with cream cheese :-(
--

Where did you go, the US Open??? No, there it would have been $30.

Speaking of NYC I did a series of photos spanning ~20 years on the Staten
Island Ferry and don't have one decent picture of the Twin Towers. One of my
biggest photo regrets - I've had a few. They were like these 2 pillars of
strength reaching to the sky anchoring the skyline of lower Manhattan. They
were such a perfect icon for overachieving NYC - completely out of
proportion to everything around them but somehow managed to look like they
had always been there. I took them for granted - didn't give them much
thought - like a familiar family member. You don't realize how much they
mean until they're gone. I haven't been there since "the incident". It's
still hard to believe they're gone. Not sure what brought that up. Maybe the
1 yr anniversary of my mother's death is making me philosophical. Needless
to say I'm stocking up on images of the Empire State bld, Brooklyn Bridge &
Statue of Liberty just in case.

OK, I feel better now. Back to your Hassleblads.

Natural Light Black and White Photography
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze76ane/
-George-

Old December 20th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article sIZpf.1266$kb1.1119@trndny09, "seog" wrote:

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message news:greg-

I remember a trip to NYC when I was a novice traveler there where
by I spent a 20 spot on OJ and a bagel with cream cheese :-(
--

Where did you go, the US Open??? No, there it would have been $30.

Hotel PA - cafe/ across from the Train Station. I was staying in the
hotel for Viscom-Photo Plus.

[...]

The best time I had was my first trip to NYC, I went up the Empire
State building and arrived at the viewing platform right at about dusk,
this was about the same week as this Saturday approx ten years ago. I
was incredible to look down the harbor and rivers and see the twin
towers on the edge of the island. I do have several images of the towers
included is a shot I took on my second trip from the Ellis Island ferry.
They are nice pictures to me because they connect me with the
experience,. My heart went out to those of NY on nine eleven-a part of
me is lost. I have not been back as well. I should go!

Back many years ago I had a chance to work for another photographer
working from DE, he did high up photography and had photographed
from the WTC above its aerial on a cherry picker, I decided that not
only was i not suited (because early in life I was very scared of
heights) but there was illness in my immediate family, -I turned him
down. About two years later the towers were gone. Its interesting how
these things coincide in life- like the photographer I briefly met while
working at a one hour lab-he asked for a job and shortly thereafter was
killed delivering pizzas.. he had immigrated shortly before from Russia
and was trained as a photographer there..I still have the news clipping.
You just can't let tragedy hold you back and the way I look at it it is
my calling to make some kind of difference. Whether some like it and my
work or not. Its my duty even if it only means being able to support
myself only modestly.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 21st 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Javaman wrote:

Hi folks,
I need to scan a 6x6 slide to print to a 16x20 size. I know, i need to
crop it. Hence i would use the scan and they try to manipulate it at home
and then print it.
My question is, what is the cheapest service to scan it? I live in
NYC. I regularly use Baboo color lab for developing and printing. But, i
think scanning is like $15 and up for a single slide.

Can folks anyone tell me about scanning services in NYC that you have used?
cost? quality? turn around time?

Thanks.

javaman.

$15 **IS** cheap, if it's a good, hi-res scan.
Old December 21st 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

the nikons are very nice. i've done more work with those than imacon,
and i think the difference is rather small.

all-in-all, all this scanning and printing has convinced me to abandon
it all together and go back to the good ol' color darkroom. while you
can great quality with these top-end scanners and printers, i find it
much less complicated to get great results chemically.

Old December 21st 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article .com,
"hassy_user" wrote:

the nikons are very nice. i've done more work with those than imacon,
and i think the difference is rather small.

all-in-all, all this scanning and printing has convinced me to abandon
it all together and go back to the good ol' color darkroom. while you
can great quality with these top-end scanners and printers, i find it
much less complicated to get great results chemically.

And there you have it, the un-profound truth. Yet for some scanning
and digital printing is and always will be the best solution. I on the
other hand- like yourself, do like chemical darkroom work but have need
for scanned imagery. Ho hum wish the world was less complex ~:-)
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 22nd 05, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

no_name wrote in
:

Javaman wrote:

Hi folks,
I need to scan a 6x6 slide to print to a 16x20 size. I know, i
need to
crop it. Hence i would use the scan and they try to manipulate it at
home and then print it.
My question is, what is the cheapest service to scan it? I
live in
NYC. I regularly use Baboo color lab for developing and printing.
But, i think scanning is like $15 and up for a single slide.

Can folks anyone tell me about scanning services in NYC that you have
used? cost? quality? turn around time?

Thanks.

javaman.

$15 **IS** cheap, if it's a good, hi-res scan.

well i went and checked with the lab the new price is $9.99 here are the
resolutions --- "6144x4096 ppi kodak hi res pro cd scans"
uncompressed file sizes
35mm - 72MB
6x4.5 - 36MB
6x6 - 48MB
6x7 - 58MB
6x9 - 70MB.

There is no charge for CD, no minimum scans required. But you know,
resolution is bad for the Medium formats that you really can't go bigger
than a 8x10 print, I think.
Old December 22nd 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Javaman" wrote:

well i went and checked with the lab the new price is $9.99 here are the
resolutions --- "6144x4096 ppi kodak hi res pro cd scans"
uncompressed file sizes
35mm - 72MB
6x4.5 - 36MB
6x6 - 48MB
6x7 - 58MB
6x9 - 70MB.

There is no charge for CD, no minimum scans required. But you know,
resolution is bad for the Medium formats that you really can't go bigger
than a 8x10 print, I think.

The Kodak ProPhoto CD scans are rather nice. Only 1800 ppi from MF, but very
sharp, very saturated, very contrasty images. A 6x enlargement (if the scan
is done well) will look very good indeed. That's a 9x13 from 645, or 13x16
from 6x7. You could probably crop a 6x7 scan to 13x19 proportions, upsample,
and make very nice 13x19 prints.

That is, if you get as good scans for your $9.99 as I got for my US$25 (plus
$25 for the CD and $25 for "opening" the CD) four years ago...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan