Agfa - a sad day indeed

Old December 15th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Agfa - a sad day indeed

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Look:

I made the prints at the same time, from the same negative on the same
enlarger.

The ONLY difference was the paper. The Brovira WOULD NOT print the
lighter tones at all. they simply went blank. It was NOT a factor of
contrast, either, because I tried a softer grade too, and it still did
not look right.

It WAS the paper.

Then it was an outlier.

What makes you say that? If I tried different grades, and it still did
not work, I'd say it has to do with the shape of the curve.

If it is, then it shows poor quality control...

Either way, they lose...

Old December 16th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

If you ignore the troll it will go away.

Lorem Ipsum wrote:

: All I can tell you is that during the Agfa Brovira period I was on a staff
: of five newspaper photographers who printed on countless Brovia papers, and
: nobody, but nobody had bad prints. (And these were excellent photoraphers,
: and two were exceedinly good printers, including myself). Gamma, Inc,
: Chicago also printed countless images on the same paper with no problems.
: And Geeze, if it helps, I used Leica M2 and M4 with Leitz lenses and we
: printed on Leitz Focomats.

: It had to be something about the paper you got, a real outlyer or you were
: stoned or something.

--

-------------------
Old December 16th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

wrote in message
oups.com...
What makes you say that? If I tried different grades, and it still did
not work, I'd say it has to do with the shape of the curve.

Look. Either Agfa papers changed in a way that was so dramatic that it
surely would have put the whole company into the toilet (which it did not)
or you are just plain ****ed up. Got it? I had a staff of great printers and
photographers, including Pulitzer prize winners and my own everyday
experiences with the materials and I'M SUPPOSED TO GIVE YOU ANY CREDIBILITY?
I THINK NOT!

So pull you head out of your ass and find out what went wrong back then.

End of conversation.

Old December 19th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message

If you ignore the troll it will go away.

I am still wracking my brain to think of a way that a person could screw up
Brovira unless he chose the wrong grade of paper.

Another possibility is that his chosen paper fogged under the safelight,
giving 'density' to highlights (but no texture), while the Brovira did not.

Old December 19th 05, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Lorem Ipsum wrote:

I am still wracking my brain to think of a way that a person could screw up
Brovira unless he chose the wrong grade of paper.

Face it: he never came anywhere near the stuff. He's just trolling and
you're his plaything.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old December 19th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

I am still wracking my brain to think of a way that a person could screw up
Brovira unless he chose the wrong grade of paper.

Face it: he never came anywhere near the stuff. He's just trolling and
you're his plaything.

Yes, I did use it, on 3 or 4 occasions, and gave up. I tried sevral
grades, as I was aware that Agfa's grades were 1 number higher than US
grades. Agfa 2 = Kodak 1, Agfa 3 = Kodak 2, etc.

Note the following:

"I kept looking for the perfect paper. I tried some Agfa Brovira
several times, but I had trouble printing with it too. (Originally,
this paper was made in grades 1 through 6, but later the grades were
renumbered to 0 through 5.) Brovira was one of the oldest papers still
being made when I began doing serious photography--Ansel used it in
1934 to make prints for his big show in New York at Stieglitz's
gallery. It was said to be the last of the pure bromide papers, and it
had some very unique properties. It was a very cold emulsion on a
clean white paper base."

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Paper/paper.html

Ralf